New tires... yes an upgrade Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
Hi all,
I don't post here very often but I do lurk on the regular basis.
I just got a new set of tires after an alignment snafu had me change my oem hockey pucks earlier than needed. It pulled to the right quite a bit.
After much internet research and reading on this forum I decided on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. These new tires are a night and day comparison with the oem tires. I have only had them for 4 days but I have not had them squeal nor have I had my front tires braking loose under hard acceleration in second gear like the oems used to do.
The ride quality is much more crisp and yet damped. They soak up bumps and seams much better than oem tires did at the same pressure (44psi) yet they are more responsive to directional changes. They dampen a bit the feel of acceleration while communicating more everywhere else. The same can be said when hard on the brakes but still inspire confidence that the stop will be reached without the use of the vehicle in front of me.
I am writing this here because in my research I did not find many reviews for tires and the handling characteristics of our JSWs with them on.
I only have 600 miles on them but I will write more as time goes on

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
Updates

This is a space saved for updates:

As millage increases and I get to drive on different types of environments I will add my impressions here.

5/20/14 600 miles on them Dry hot surfaces. Surface temps of 110F

6/10/14 4800 miles:

I absolutely like them! I have been cornering more as I learn where that edge of traction is at. The back now steps out when I corner hard with the back unloaded and I catch a bump or two telling me the suspension is now the limiting factor. This can be solved with aftermarket shocks with different compression and rebound damping but I am not going to track this car on the regular basis.

If the car is loaded I don't push it nearly as much or when I have passengers for that matter...
These put the sport in Sportwagen!

12/2/14 20000 miles:

According to Michelin these should be about half way of their usual life. We have been having a lot of rain lately here in northern California. These tires are gripping very very well I am running 44 psi on the front and 42 in the rear. After taking measurements, using the wear bars, these tires are close to 30% worn. I religiously rotate them every 5k miles.

My use of the car has changed I hardly ever go on open roads and most of the time is city driving and rush hour on freeway (so worse than city driving).

I continue to be impressed with the tires and at this time would definitely shell out the money for another set.

6/10/15 30000 miles

I have put another 10k miles on these. Wear is now definitely visible. With most of these 10k miles being in city or crowded highways I was recommended to have a tire change at the last service I did. The tires are still fine and still have a good 3-4/32 before the wear bars show.

At this time tire life is a concern: when purchased these tires were sold with a 45k mi warranty and it doesn't seem like they will get there.

So far I have been running a myriad of pressures here are my personal opinions and findings:

At 45 PSI:
There is a lot of suspension harshness with the 225/45/17s. Roads here are less than ideal so I have a fear of running a low profile tire at a low pressure this is how I got to 45 PSI. Fuel consumption drops below that of the 41 PSI.

At 41 PSI:
Cornering is tight, suspension feels sporty. The JSW feels really sporty, yet the suspension is compliant and plush. I feel my rims are protected from potholes and other road hazards. I have loaded the car with 5 people, and trunk full, and the millage seems to be the best (diesel consumption lowest) at this pressure for all types of driving.

At 35 PSI:
Cornering is gummy, suspension feels very plush with the aid of the sidewall deformation when my tires encounter irregularities in the road. Fuel consumption is lowest of all at constant low highway speeds 55-65 mph. Around town, consumption jumps up.

tire manufacturer recommended PSI is 34

9/15/2015 Last update for this set

My driving has changed from about 90% highway miles during the first 10k miles on these tires to 90% city, or stop and go freeway miles...

I am having these change as we speak due to premature wear of these tires, with a considerable warranty discount. These tires hit the wear marks at 33k miles. while it is still dry here, I decided to change them after I found two screws on just one tire after my work commute. with two hundred miles to drive between sunday and today... I was really glad the car came with a full size spare!

NEW TIRE SET! (AND JUST IN TIME FOR GLOOMY MAYBE EVEN WET ROADS)

As indicated above I needed to change my tires under warranty due to premature wear. I thought that I needed new suspension, and brakes. The new set of tires fixed most of it. The suspension feels fantastic again running at 42 PSI (Nitrogen). The brakes need to be bled as part of Preventative Maintenance and afterwards I assume they will feel a lot more responsive.

But this is about tires so...
The new tires are night and day from how good the feel, to how good the car handles, to how extremely quiet they are!

Let's see if this set lasts the number of miles they are guaranteed to.

Last edited:

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
How's the MPG compare to OEM tires?
I am running them at the same PSI as I ran the oems I have noticed a 1-2 mpg drop than that of oem tires....

The jump in fuel consumption is very positively offset by the performance gain. I can corner quite a bit faster and harder. I no longer get a tire chirp in 2nd if I step on it like I did with the oems. I get them loose if I am stomping on the gas and corner but hey with 236lbs of torque who doesn't?

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
Try them at a little lower psi.

Perhaps 36 front / 40 rear.

Those sound like some very sound numbers, however with the millage I am running I think that would severely fuel affect consumption and tire life.

I have activated the ABS once so far, that was with the old tires and chains in the snow.

DieselCologne

TDI
1998 Jetta 2012 Sportwagen
Thanks for the "recent" update.

I run the Pilot Sport AS/3 (225/45R17) on my daughter's 2004 1.8T Wagon on stock 17" Long Beach wheels. I put them on late winter 2013 before a spring 2014 full OEM quality suspension/Steering refresh with Billy HD, all 'round and ALL associated parts. No Meyle, etc. TRW, Lemmy, , VW, etc. Down to the TTY bolts and the Gnat's Arse. Rear beam bushings too. The LOT. Cost me $$$ and MUCH time.

Great tires in this application, added a solid bit of grip along with a tad heavier wheel feel at slower speeds in all temps. Quiet. Expected. I don't see much snow, ice in Northern VA relative to MI, MN, etc. AS/3 are fine.

I also have a 2012 JSW TDI 6MT DD. I don't drive it overly aggressively, but utilize full rpm as needed. Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 WILL be installed after the factory Bridgestone loafs are dead.

Of course, always consider your terrain/conditions when evaluating rubber...

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I just put a set of 205/55/16 A/S3's on my 03 wagon with 16x7 inch rims.
I agree these tires are amazing.
I also suffered a 2 mpg drop approximately.
My previous tires, Conti DWS wore out prematurely from uneven tread wear, I believe this was from over-inflation, they had much more wear in the center of the tread.
So with these new Michelins I have been using VW reccomended inflation specs 28psi front, 26 psi rear.
Have your treads been wearing evenly all across?
If so I may add some pressure.

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
Silverbox:

I called Michelin tires and according to their engineers they recommend a 34PSI pressure in all wheels for our particular vehicles. (mine is a 2013 JSW)

So far, I do not see tire wear that is uneven or weird. I am coming up on a tire change within the next 10k miles.

What is your millage? has it taken a hit by running your tires at a low PSI. how is the handling with those tires?

TDI2215

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
I got these, but was a bit of a dumbass with the setup. I put 225/40R18 on 18x8.5 vmr wheels and the tires were a bit stretched. Nothing crazy, but if you looked at them then you could tell the wheels were too wide for them. The tires still performed great.
I used to spin the oem tires in second and sometimes third in the rain, but these tires could hold. They worked great in the rain, and never once hydroplaned. I did lose about 1 or 2 mpg. I can't tell if they are smoother, because I tightened the rear sway bar before I got them put on.
I'm getting new oz wheels this week and I'm putting a new set of these tires on again. This time a more conservative fitment (235 40R18 on 18x8).

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
Another update on the first post.

Overall a great tire, but they really change as far as comfort and behavior as they go through their useful life.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Another update on the first post.
Overall a great tire, but they really change as far as comfort and behavior as they go through their useful life.
How exactly do they change? For the better or worse?

Thmastr

TDI
2013 JSW MT
These tires are fantastic when new, but grip and feel deteriorate as the tires are used and age. To be honest this is to be expected.

I have never had a set of tires that did not deteriorate without losing grip or comfort, and I have had years when I have fit 3 sets of tires in that year (motorcycle tires not car tires).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm noting the same thing with a set of purecontacts. Had it also happen with a set if Michelin Primacy mxm4 on my last car.

So yeah that's expected.