Finally finished the suspension

Torque!

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 Jetta TDI - 196K
A while back I opted for the Shine Real Street setup. It was amazing but I ended up swapping out the springs for the Neuspeed softsports. The Shine springs were great on the track but on the bumpy roads around here I kept loosing my coffee. These are serious thick linear springs.

For a year now I was running with Bilstein HD front struts, the softsport springs on all wheels and the rear shine sway bar. The rear struts were stock due to my inability to get them a year ago (some manufacturing glitch?).

Anyway the back was still a little squirrelly in the slaloms at the autox
. Well, I just put the rear dampers in and what a difference. The back is really predictable now. The HDs don't release easily so the back doesn't pitch as much and hunkers down instead. I can recommend this setup to all. The soft sport springs lower the car just a tad with an even gap around all edges of the wheel and the progressive spring rate ensures a nice ride. The Bilstein HDs are great, I see no need for anything that is adjustable.

Shine Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed softsports
Bilstein HDs

**DONOTDELETE**

You did the same thing I did, in reverse order. Just having gas shocks on the rear made a difference in cruising and turning. Then rear springs, then all the springs and shocks. However I've got linear (softer than thine) lowering springs (3/4" all 'round). I stopped for a long time on the set up you have, but the stuff I got was priced right (secondhand). Sofsport would be a good match for Tokico gas shocks I have (which are same size as VW).

Incidentally, if you're putting lowering springs in the rear, you have to cut the first rib off the bump stop, or your shock will be resting on it.