Michelin Pilot Sport AS?

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Anyone have any experience with these tires? Saw a review on them recently and they sounded like a tire I want to know more about

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
RC--I don't know about that exact Michelin model, but I've got the Pilot XGT-H4 on my Passat and I LOVE THEM. As far as I can tell, the model I have are kind of a mid-line performance tire, but perfect for the factory Passat rims. These are by far the best tires I have ever had. I have driven cars with tires much more expensive, wide and "high-performance," but these Pilots are the best. And at $88 each, they are not exactly cheap. Good luck in your search for tires. I can't recommend the Michelin Pilot series enough. High, mid, or low.--Steve

P.S. And no, I am not a Michelin spokesman. I just love their tires.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
sfierz,
Thanks, that is good info, especilly since I found out that the Pilot Sport AS does not come in the size I need. The salesman suggested your tire as a substitute though and after your answer I do believe the Pilot XGT-H4 is # 1 on the list. Gotta get about another 10K outta these on the car now first though.

Thanks again.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hey RC.. I worked at a sears, and the Pilot XGTH4 was our best selling high performance tire. They have the stiffest sidewall of any tire ive ever mounted, and the inside is smooth.. Does this mean anything? I dunno, but it seems like the non-lumpy finish would lead to better balance.

I already ordered 4 of them for my mercedes. You'll be happy with them if these are what you decide on.

rrick

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI
These Pilot XGT-H4 handle great in the rain. The previous owner siped the old energy tires and the pilots handle much better. BTW it rains everyday out here in the pacific north west. Oh yeah, in snow, the pilots did not treat me very good, maby because they are so wide and on such a light car.

rrick

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI
disappointing, i cant get more than 42mpg now when i was getting 48-50mpg consistently on the energy tires.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Michelin doesnt make "energy tires". They do however write energy on their MXV4's. I find it seriously hard to swallow that you lose economy by switching to pilots.. They must be uninflated or somthing else is wrong...

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I don't think you will lose economy by going with the Pilot tires, unless you change the rims to something huge. I decided to keep the stock rims on my Passat (I know, kinda boring), but mainly to save $$, and keep the fuel economy. And they are wide enough, for me. As for rain performance, they make a tremendous difference, and now I am starting to get into snow and ice, and I am VERY IMPRESSED. Check the tire rack opinion surveys on these tires. Last time I looked, the Pilot XGT-H4 were rated better than the Energy in terms of snow handling. My experience confirms it for me. The energy might be a SLIGHTLY quieter tire, but the Pilot, IMHO, is still exceptionally quiet. I have used the X-Ones, Energy, X-metric, all sorts of Michelin tires, but these XGT are very good. They have good tread wear at 400. And they are sticky like much more expensive tires. Last but not least, the Pilots have a 195 width in a 14" size that fits the B4 Passats. Honestly, I could find few performance tires in that range. Most were budget or all season.--Steve

P.S. The Michelin Pilots look cool, too.

rrick

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI
To make the pilots sticker, i leave them at 26psi just like my fuel filler flap says to. When i had the energys i never let them drop below 38psi.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
rrick, I would propose that a 12psi diff in pressure just might be part of your mileage issue. If you got wider-than-stock tires, that'd be the other part of your issue.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
rrick--I don't inflate my Pilot XGT-H4 to 26 PSI. The fuel flap is usually only good for the model tire that came with the car. The max PSI on my tires is 44 PSI. I inflate to 33. That keeps a pretty good margin of error but still returns great mileage. With the "5th" injector blocked on my Passat, I think I am getting 50+ MPG!!!
Before it was still good, like 46-48. And I've got great cornering ability to boot!--Steve