Weird wagon hatch question

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If I'm measuring correctly it seems like it should fit. The diagonal measurement across the rear hatch opening is ~48", I'm measuring the hatch at ~36" x 60". The 60" is the width of the car which should fit with the seats folded down.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try and get stuffed back there or just take my trailer. It's a 2 hour one way trip. It might just be 100x easier with the trailer, since I wouldn't have to prop it up at an angle.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I suppose swapping it out at your destination is also an option?

Either way, I think you'll be ok taking the wagon.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I suppose swapping it out at your destination is also an option?

Either way, I think you'll be ok taking the wagon.
Had a guy with a Jetta (sedan) show up for a hood. He thought he'd just pick it up!:eek: Lucky for that guy I had tools (weather was good) and took his old hood (ack! still have it in my metal pile!).

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Ain't that the truth!
+2! I can't even begin to tell how much cr@p I've been able to load into my wagon over the years. Best one was my Keystoker stove I brought home from Michigan. We disassembled it prior to loading by removing the doors, hopper, stoker mechanism, blowers, etc. but it's still the size of a large dorm fridge and heavy. I brought along two sheets of 2'x4' hardboard. The first sheet went smooth side up in the cargo area and the second sheet went smooth side down on a set of forks on a tractor bucket. We tipped the stove down onto the hardboard, lifted and lined it up with the car taking care to not bash into the open hatch, and then just slid the stove on the hardboard right off the forks and into the back of the car. All the other bits just fit in the leftover space. I did tie it down so it wouldn't slide around too much, but I drove pretty easy on the way home.
Unloading it wasn't too bad either. It slid easy enough on the hardboard until I could just tip it and let it down in a controlled crash without damage to car, stove or my person, LOL.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I once hauled a 990lb CAT skidsteer trencher attachment in 96B4V Passat. Had to remove the front passenger seat. I now use Beetles to do my hauling. You would be totally amazed at what will fit in a Beetle.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
It fits with plenty of room to spare. You don't even have to tilt it or anything.

The only bad news is the junkyard cut the wires just past the rubber accordion thingies. So, I will end up pulling the wiring harness out of my old one along with everything else before I junk my rusty one.

:D