Halogen to HID. DeAutoKey, Morimoto, & Ed's Replica Golf R lights

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Hey All,

My AKD headlights arrived from AliExpress and I'm just waiting on the Weathertech Lampgard to arrive before installing. In the meantime, trying to nail down whether I need a canbus harness to install my ddmtuning HID's in the low beam projector. I last ran these lights on a mk4 (H7 35w, 5000k) with a relayed harness, but the ballasts are just the regular kind. Will this work on the mk7.5 platform? I've done some reading and can't get a definitive answer because I think most people buy these as Ed's Reps or now BEC and purchase the bulbs and harnesses that come with the headlights. I'm kind of piecemealing everything to save money. If it can be done through coding, is VCDS Lite going to be able to manage that? (Guessing no.) My other question is was it stock for the R to have halogens in the high beam housing? If yes, I'll just stick with that as I rarely use the high beams.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Those CANBUS connectors that sit between the headlight wiring and the ballast are pretty cheap ($10 or so, aren't they?) - why not buy them just in case?

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron