Favorite VCDS tweaks?

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I just noticed VeeDubTDI's VCDS locator, and find I have someone close. I want to turn off the hill-hold feature, and was wondering what other things people like to do with this tool, so I can make more than one change in a visit.

I had an ancient VAG-COM but it went with my B4 when I sold the car. I assume there are a lot more things to play with now. Maybe folks can list their favorites, or point me at a thread if this has been done before.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Disable drl's, kill the horn beep when locking, enable window up/down with remote, lane change blink from three to four (I didn't though). I hear you can change the seatbelt chime to off. You can have the gauge dials sweep from zero to full and back when you turn the key on. ( YouTube has video of this). Change fogs to be on with high beams. Disable corner marker fog when turning. (I happen to like it though)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Disable drl's, kill the horn beep when locking, enable window up/down with remote, lane change blink from three to four (I didn't though). I hear you can change the seatbelt chime to off. You can have the gauge dials sweep from zero to full and back when you turn the key on. ( YouTube has video of this). Change fogs to be on with high beams. Disable corner marker fog when turning. (I happen to like it though)
All of the above are correct except the windows up/down with the remote. I am not aware of anybody finding that setting for our cars. If they have, I would love to know how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I would like to believe its still available somewhere. My golf has it, not sure on the new Passat though.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It has to be in the coding somewhere... just have to stumble across it and figure it out. I'll stay optimistic about it. ;)

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
I tried searching the forum but had no luck. Do anyone know of someone with VAG-COM in the Greater Vancouver Area in BC Canada?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Did you click the VCDS Locator link in my signature?

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Woops, I guess I should have noticed that sticky thread. :rolleyes: Well there is still value in asking what tweaks most people like.

I just thought of another I'd like, no automatic turn-on of AC.

And another, getting rid of the seatbelt warning chime.

Oh, yet another: I wish the gear indicator only said what gear you are in, rather than what gear it thinks you should go to. If I am in 5th gear and the car thinks I should shift up, go ahead and display the arrow up but still leave it reading as "5", not "6". In other words, the gear indicator should be completely independent of the arrow.

I'll have to dig through that thread to see if I can find those.

Last edited:

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
There is a setting to flash your blinkers if your ABS kicks in, haven't tested it on my Passat yet but it worked nicely in my 2010 Jetta.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Thanks for the reply, LokiWolf.

Another tweak I like is increasing the voltage to the headlights / taillights to make them brighter (at the expense of bulb life however)

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
There is a setting to flash your blinkers if your ABS kicks in, haven't tested it on my Passat yet but it worked nicely in my 2010 Jetta.
Look at BCM Byte 16, bit 1 for brake light flash or bit 2 for for turn flash, which for stock rear lights, are the same.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Thanks for the reply, LokiWolf.

Another tweak I like is increasing the voltage to the headlights / taillights to make them brighter (at the expense of bulb life however)
Where can you find that at? That would be nice to have any imput would be great.
See Byte 19. There are a slew of voltage settings in the drop down menus. This shows the bulb life voltage decrease disabled for full system voltage to the lights:

Last edited:

goodtill

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Look at BCM Byte 16, bit 1 for brake light flash or bit 2 for for turn flash, which for stock rear lights, are the same.
Can you have both turned on at the same time? Or do you have to chose one from the other.

Also does bit 0 have to turned on?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Can you have both turned on at the same time? Or do you have to chose one from the other.

Also does bit 0 have to turned on?
I originally had this set for flashing brakes only. Now that I have the amber turns on all 4 corners, courtesy of my LED tail lights, I've got both bits turned on. I haven't seen them flash yet, but I wonder about before. Had some hard braking, and not sure if the brake lights flashed or not as there is no indication that I would be able to see when driving. Now with the turns activated as well, I can catch it should I have a similar hard braking situation. I have bit 0 and 6 off.

Found this link the other day, to help calculate long coding. This could lead to some interesting experiments: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Application_VagCalc.html

Last edited: