TDI Cylinder Heads

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Still looking for AHU heads?

I swapped mine, I don't think anything was wrong with it against initial predictions of a blown head gasket. :mad:

But. New lifters, stem seals, valves, maybe it was worth it :rolleyes:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
darkscout said:
Still looking for AHU heads?

I swapped mine, I don't think anything was wrong with it against initial predictions of a blown head gasket. :mad:

But. New lifters, stem seals, valves, maybe it was worth it :rolleyes:
Yes, I have need for a good AHU head. If you like email me your address adn I'll send you a shipping label. When I get the head, I'll give you my inspection and valuation.

You can send pics to: FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

That can help me give you a better idea of the head's value.

Thanks

Frank

PS Wouldn't it have been nice to find out your old head just needed some TLC? Didn't we talk about it before?

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Sheesh my FBI cover is blown... now I'm going to have to get a new identity...THANKS GUYS...

DPM:

Yesterday, I registered my company name Frank's VW TDI's LLC
Today I got my commercial checking account.
Monday, I'm setting up a Quick Books account so I can do work orders, invoicing and contacts in a more organized manner.
A very pleased client offered to set up a web site for Franksheadshop.... I don't want to attract the wrong crowd... I have no bongs...

I was enjoying a hobby when I made my announcement that I recondition cylinder heads.

I think there are several people that have figured out that what I say, I mean.

"Do it once and do it right"
"Build it like you're gonna buy it"

It's very basic. Treat others as you would want to be treated. It's sound business principle.

For those who have worked with me, it's been a pleasure.

DPM... it's just a matter of time and application.

Frank

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
My dealing with Frank is that he is an Honest guy just doing something he really enjoys and seems to be great at. Ready to give advice on items he knows and not to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

Thanks again for the info Frank and keep it up. When my first rebuild comes, it will be shipped direct to you;)

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
franksheadshop.com, come on!

what about franksheadservice? :D

franksvwheads

franksvwcylinderheads

frankscylinderheads

Frank's the best in the business! buy from him, you wont be dissapointed!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
First I get my cover blown and have to change my alias.. now you want all the dopers in the free world contacting me on the web... isn't Frank'sheadshop already taken? If not, I'm surprised...

Next thing you'll be suggesting questionable mottos with "head' in them.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Two thumbs up for Frank. Great work on a head I sent to him and customer service is second to none. I wish all my business dealings were with guys like him.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I've got a decent supply of ALH heads in stock and a couple of AHU's. For those who have interest in 1Z engines, the difference between the AHU and 1Z head are the valve stems. They 1Z are 8mm and the AHU and later are 7mm.

If you want to trade out a 1Z for an AHU, there is no problem doing that.

1320racing

TDI
Former 1998 New Beetle TDI owner
follow up...

Frank-

To follow up: this is a copy of my follow-up with Tony, the gentleman I purchased my wagon from, posted in the TDI club's VW's for sale section...

Your work on the Jetta performed by Low Country VW (franchised dealer)
that I purchased from you was the source of the coolant loss. There was a small amount of exhaust soot in the recovery tank after driving and topping off for about 700 miles. The ARP studs / nuts they used to replace the stock "stretch" bolts were a great idea, but sadly incorrectly torqued to "snowflake" specs, ranging from 32-41 ft/lbs. This allowed a small amount of coolant to be consumed and burned with the exhaust and recirculate in cooling system. After individually retorqueing to correct specs, the issue was cured 110% immediately.

Additionally, I purchased a Dieselgeek deluxe timing belt kit and the Metalnerd tools to replace the timing belt and ALL related parts. The flywheel timing was advanced by one tooth. It's either right or wrong when it comes to the synchronization of crankshaft, cam and injection pump timing. There was also the top idler in sorry shape - enough to take out the belt. I also replaced the v-belt tensioning idler bearing that was growling.

IMHO, the dealers service department has a lot to be desired. Countless
missing nuts, bolts, washers, wire looms not secured, loose parts etc...
My son absolutely loves the wagon... and is getting 48 mpg after correcting the timing issue...

This is why I do my own mechanic work.

-regards, Ralph

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
Franko6 said:
I've got a decent supply of ALH heads in stock and a couple of AHU's. For those who have interest in 1Z engines, the difference between the AHU and 1Z head are the valve stems. They 1Z are 8mm and the AHU and later are 7mm.

If you want to trade out a 1Z for an AHU, there is no problem doing that.
FYI-
The early 1Zs are 8mm. After a series number [ I will enter it later today ] they switched over to 7mm.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
rjr311 said:
FYI-
The early 1Zs are 8mm. After a series number [ I will enter it later today ] they switched over to 7mm.
I don't know the number either, although I 've seen it. It's about in 6 or 7/96 they stopped production of the 1Z and whatever engines got the 8mm valves, it wouldn't be too difficult to replace what is going to become an obsolete part.

The valves are more readily available in 7mm and so are the valve guides. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'd want to rebuild a 1Z motor with 1Z pistons and rings! I'd use the AHU's. Although the ring spacing and thickness are different, the difficulties for the future of an engine that had a comparatively short run is going to create a lack of availability of the 1Z parts.

I thought I was sitting on a 1Z late model run engine until today. the rings are 1mm thicker than the AHU's and the top ring is 3 mm higher in the piston. Not much difference to count on, but it's there. The distance from wrist pin to dome is the same as is the wrist pin dimension. You have to have a micrometer to see the differences, or both pistons lined up next to each other.

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'm still looking for AHU Heads... anybody got a old cylinder head they want to sell?

kleinergti1

TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
frank,

i have two alh heads here like the one you have shown at the start of the post. i will email you some pictures to see what you can do.

nice work by the way

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Nice pictures Frank, I am a satisfied customer. I had an AHU engine overheat and sent Frank the Head and injectors for service. Frank was very helpful and still is when I call to pick his brain.

Thanks again Frank, Ed.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
Frank, I have the damaged head off my 2001 that needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I'll need the assembled head, lifters, and cam.

I'm certain you can save my head as well. It's kind of beat up around the lifter/spring bore on the #1 intake valve, but looks very nice otherwise.

shoot me a price for what I need; trying to gather prices.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I wanted to post up a big thanks to Frank for helping AtomicSushi and I out with our time-constrained rebuild of a 1999 Golf TDI affectionately known now as "FrankenDiesel" :D

The head arrived as advertised and ready to go. It was well packed and exactly what we expected.

We're 1000+ miles into the rebuild now and I can say that my confidence in Frank's rebuild is very high.

Here's some pictures of the job.

you've enabled me to put this gem back on the road where it belongs. the bottom end only has 128K on it so we're just getting broken in!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thanks for the compliments, guys... I really appreciate it.

But I got to tell you...

WRONG COLOR OF ANTIFREEZE! It's NOT supposed to be GREEN. Get some G-12 or you will be sorry. If you don't have a supplier, I'll get you some. Mix 50:50 with distilled water and clean out that other stuff.

Frank

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
this antifreeze was in the engine when we got it this way. this has since been remedied. :D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Franko6,
The 1Z valve, seals and upper seat changed from 8 mm to 7 mm beginning from engine serial 770 001 and onward.
The 1Z valve springs, (inner and outer), and lower seat changed from engine serial 800 001 and onward.
That may mean some 7 mm AHU valves with 1Z springs and mixed 1Z and AHU seats in engine serials between 770 001 and 800 000.
The engine serial is a decal sticker on the plastic timing belt cover, too easily swapped from engine to engine for definitive identification.

On a related note: I'm looking for a 1Z cam and 8 followers. Would you consider supplying these or could you share your source's identity that I might contact them directly?

p.s. my June 96 build date, 97 model year B4, has the correct G11 in it. The change to G12 occurred in November of 96.

Last edited:

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
Franko6 said:
Thanks for the compliments, guys... I really appreciate it.

But I got to tell you...

WRONG COLOR OF ANTIFREEZE! It's NOT supposed to be GREEN. Get some G-12 or you will be sorry. If you don't have a supplier, I'll get you some. Mix 50:50 with distilled water and clean out that other stuff.

Frank
What problems will one encounter if the 'green' stuff is used? Honestly, mine looked like pure water when I dropped it.

Jesse

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
I have the lifters ( followers ) if you wish.

Robert

Lug_Nut said:
Franko6,
The 1Z valve, seals and upper seat changed from 8 mm to 7 mm beginning from engine serial 770 001 and onward.
The 1Z valve springs, (inner and outer), and lower seat changed from engine serial 800 001 and onward.
That may mean some 7 mm AHU valves with 1Z springs and mixed 1Z and AHU seats in engine serials between 770 001 and 800 000.
The engine serial is a decal sticker on the plastic timing belt cover, too easily swapped from engine to engine for definitive identification.

On a related note: I'm looking for a 1Z cam and 8 followers. Would you consider supplying these or could you share your source's identity that I might contact them directly?

p.s. my June 96 build date, 97 model year B4, has the correct G11 in it. The change to G12 occurred in November of 96.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
Just getting around to posting this, but it's LONG overdue. Frank not only does absolutely SUPERB work, it's very fast and the service beyond the sale is absolutely SECOND to NONE. I was very demanding about getting my head done quickly and Frank MORE than accommodated. Not only that, but he'll always answer the phone even if it's NOT going to make him any more money. He already had my check and I already had the rebuilt head and he STILL found the time to chat about my TDI issues for what had to be a total of 4-5 hours over 20 phone calls.

Bottom line: Frank Irving is TOP NOTCH all the way and I wouldn't question sending another head his way.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thanks Jesse. You've got one of my babies... I'm just taking care of business.

Warning: I've had a couple of tooling hiccups... not always easy to get back to square one. I'll try to not keep anybody waiting.

Btw: I'm supplying many, if not all your aftermarket needs for ALH,AHU and BEW engine rebuilding parts, timing belt kits, even down to oil filters,using quality lines and competitive pricing.

Estimates for head repairs can be coupled with complete rebuild kits. You can make a 'one stop shop'.

Hopefully, I will be able to get some 'quality re-engineered' long blocks out in the next few weeks. I do custom work and orders for rebuilds. One longblock is ordered right now. I'll do the pictorial when I get it worked up.

Frank

Last edited: