EGR flow stop is default during an error

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

I was reading the tech service file and it says that if any part of the egr control system has a signal failure then all egr flow would stop. ;). Seams like a simple loose :)o) connection would stop all egr flow. Other than a Check engine light and the need to plug it back it for servicing, it seams like a good way to keep the dirty soot out of the intake.

Last edited:

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
If you look at the air flow through the engine, the EGR cooler is after the DPF which means there is no soot going back into the engine. Also if you unplug your EGR valve, it will most likely be unable to do regens which means you'll be back in for servicing on the back of a tow truck in no time.

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
I'm I missing something? Wheres the unfiltered EGR coming from?

This Engine uses low pressure EGR, the old engine used High pressure EGR

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
I've read the ea188 tdi has three different egr systems depending on what level of EPA or euro emmisions they need to meet. One of the listed systems includes both high and low pressure egr. The highest level California level requires the use of both.
Ok but this is the EA288, where does it say this engine uses HP EGR?

Last edited:

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
"The engine has been designed under the modular transverse matrix (MQB) strategy of the Volkswagen Group that enables the use of uniform processes within vehicle platforms during vehicle development and production. In the new modular diesel engine system (MDB), the same base module will be used to implement both the performance and the emission versions for Euro 4 through Euro 6, as well as the US EPA Tier 2 and presumably Tier 3 emission standards. Thus, the new EA288 is the first diesel engine to share most of its common design features between the North American and European versions. In the Volkswagen MDB set, the new EA288 will be available with engine displacements of 1.6 and 2.0 liters.

The new engine shares only the bore spacing with the previous diesel engine that had the same designation. A number of advanced features have been introduced to help reduce emissions—specifically in the Euro 6 and/or the North American versions—including:

A dual-loop EGR system, with high pressure EGR and a cooled low-pressure EGR loops. While this architecture is similar to the EGR system in the current Tier 2 Bin 5 2.0 TDI, in the new engine the water-cooled intercooler and the high pressure EGR valve are integrated with the intake manifold, which also improves throttle response."

hmm, alright I can admit when I'm wrong. Why wouldn't this info be in the training info... could you link to this article?

You would think with the use of SCR, dual-loop EGR would not be needed.

Last edited:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I think the information of possible information the the engine platform is designed to adapt to multiple govt refulations. I rwd that it can have any of three combinations of egr systems. The training info might generic or just to highlight the new features that a tech need to learn.

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
I think the information of possible information the the engine platform is designed to adapt to multiple govt refulations. I rwd that it can have any of three combinations of egr systems. The training info might generic or just to highlight the new features that a tech need to learn.

Could you add a link to the article please, I'd like to give it a read through as well.

pineapple_e85

TDI
1.9 Skoda ALH EDC15
Ea288 EGR

Hello, my mum currently ownes a Skoda Octavia with a 1.6 TDI (EA288) and my dad used to own a (EA189) so I am quite familiar with these engines. The EA189 was great. Obviously it did cheat is emissions and that does effect the egr and regeneration system. However, when we bought the EA288 and it is a different story. The turbo spools up really really slowly. (Like really slow, about 2300 RPM) and then it is like changing into another gear. An ‘active’ regeneration happened around every 15 minutes in normal city driving. Now you may thing oh great there is not soot but it just completely drains the fuel. She gets about 800 miles on the motorway and about 450 miles going to work and that is on 70 mph dual carriageway. As you are driving below the RPM stated above the EGR recirculates so much exhaust gas the you can feel the car jolting is ‘chugging’ as I presume that so much exhaust gas it can not combust the fuel properly. I was wondering it this was a normal behaviour or if I should book it in. I am already planning to book it in for my mum to the local dealer for them to check it out. They will proberbly say there is nothing wrong but we shall see. If they say that I might just disconnect some sensor to stop the EGR functioning and performing a static regeneration ever week or 2.

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks!
Ethan :)