2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It's too bad you're so far, I've got my h6 superstart extreme I'm giving away, if you end up in Southern California by Halloween day, contact me ;)

O'reilly battery with a fairly good warranty on it. I believe the Carquest version is pretty good too.

7 years. :eek:
I guess it is time to look for a replacement. Perhaps the now almost constant regenerations require it too! Do you have a suggestion for a replacement battery (besides OEM from the dealer)?

Just got the car back. Nothing really bad, a little hesitation perhaps. Wouldn't say that it is noticeably louder. We'll see about the mileage.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Had my 2009 TDI fixed now for a couple of weeks now and everything was going well until this afternoon when the CEL came on. The code is P2015. I have over 210K miles on it.
A couple of years ago, that code appeared and I installed the bracket from Diesel Geek and I haven't had any issues until today.
Is it possible that the emission fix had anything to do with this?
My P2015 also came back after the fix. I have 154,000 miles on my car. Mine was fixed a different way without the bracket and I thought that was the issue, but instead it's the arm on the plastic linkage falling off the ball (not actually off, but slipping out of position). I pushed it back on and that worked for about a week, but it came back yesterday. I'm hoping the dealer will fix it under warranty, but I didn't go yet.

There is another member who said he got his P2015 fixed after the dieselgate fix. He removed the dieselgeek bracket and went to the dealer. They replaced his intake as part of the warranty after the fix. Unfortunately, the way my P2015 was fixed it is not as simply reversed without any indication something was done. I think I could be denied even though it's a different issue. I think maybe that plastic linkage is simply too fragile.

I've also seen the ball and arm thing fixed on other VW cars by adding a clip to keep the arm on the ball. You can find it on youtube. I guess that's another option of it isn't covered under the warranty, but first I'm going to try the dealer.

Last edited:

MFDinosaur

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
We got the fix done to our 2009 Sportwagen DSG a couple of weeks ago.

Power seemed about the same and mileage was down a MPG or two.

Yesterday the CEL came on with a P064C Glow Plug Control Module. So it's back to the dealership tomorrow.

Per Vag-Com: (Voltage is very low)
2 Faults Found:
001612 - Glow Plug Control Module
P064C - 000 - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 151462 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:15:54

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 10.72 V
Temperature: 15.3°C
Bin. Bits: 00010000
Time: 2.52 s
Temperature: 14.4°C

001612 - Glow Plug Control Module
P064C - 001 - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 151462 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 12:15:54

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 10.72 V
Temperature: 15.3°C
Bin. Bits: 00010000
Time: 2.52 s
Temperature: 14.4°C

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 0

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta SW 6MT, '15 Jetta DSG
7 years. :eek:
I guess it is time to look for a replacement. Perhaps the now almost constant regenerations require it too! Do you have a suggestion for a replacement battery (besides OEM from the dealer)?

Just got the car back. Nothing really bad, a little hesitation perhaps. Wouldn't say that it is noticeably louder. We'll see about the mileage.
So after driving a few days I'd say the mileage is about the same, noise level too. More regens (fan running after shutting off). There is an about 1/2 sec hesitation when accelerating, nothing dramatic, easy to get used to. Power-wise, not sure, I usually don't floor it, and I can still spin the tires now, so prolly the same. On the + side, I think I went a few times under the revs where it would cut out the engine previously, and it did not. Could be imagination though.

Overall, very happy with the $5k donation and the extended warranty, but nervously watching that CEL.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Did you ever get the exhaust smell (leak) repaired?
I am smelling a whiff of exhaust in the car now from time to time.
You'd think an exhaust leak under the hood would be easy to find. But it is not.
======
Update...
I found the exhaust band clamp loose. Between the turbo and DPF. Tightened it up and so far no exhaust smell in the car.

To complete the repairs story: 2 days after I got the car back from the dealership from the glow plug relay replacement, the car wouldn't start. (Washington DC, not a cold morning.) I had to get to work, so I had roadside assistance come on Saturday morning about 10am (still not cold), and the person tried to jump it, first with a battery pack and then with both battery pack and cables to his car. He tried cranking it until I told him to stop when smoke started coming out of the engine and there was a distinct electrical burning smell. Just as part of the sob story, when the tow truck from roadside assistance finally arrived, the lift wasn't working so I had to wait for someone to come fix the tow truck.

In any case, the dealership said the battery was dead and replaced it ($260). Now the car starts, at least. I'm almost believing them that it's just a battery, as I think the prior battery also lasted about 4 years, and 4 years for a car battery doesn't sound that bad. Still, it's extremely annoying to bring a car in for a recall and end up spending $700+ on random repairs.

Back to the emissions modification: the car still smells like diesel exhaust inside when the windows are rolled up. I've been keeping the windows open because the smell makes me slightly dizzy. I had VW Customer Care contact the dealer's service center to do an investigation and I'm supposed to hear back about that next week. I separately contacted the TDI Settlement support number and the person there said that if Customer Care's diagnosis indicates that there is a problem, it is possible to switch to the buyback even after the recall work has been performed.

I'll post another update when I have more information.

Last edited:

josephbui

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Did you ever get the exhaust smell (leak) repaired?
I am smelling a whiff of exhaust in the car now from time to time.
You'd think an exhaust leak under the hood would be easy to find. But it is not.
======
Update...
I found the exhaust band clamp loose. Between the turbo and DPF. Tightened it up and so far no exhaust smell in the car.
No, the exhaust smell has not been remediated. Thanks for the hint about that. I'll ask them to look for it. I'm also supposed to hear back from VWGoA about switching from the fix to the buy back this week. If they'll give me the original offer (or close), I'll take it although I'm not sure if I'll get a Golf wagon or something entirely different.

josephbui

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm also supposed to hear back from VWGoA about switching from the fix to the buy back this week. If they'll give me the original offer (or close), I'll take it although I'm not sure if I'll get a Golf wagon or something entirely different.
Update about switching from fix to buyback: VWGoA Customer Care got back to me exactly when they said they would. Unfortunately for me, "Volkswagen would be unable to meet your request to be relieved" of my vehicle.

I'm still working on getting the dealership service department to remedy the exhaust smell and I'm also asking their user car department how much I can get in trade for the vehicle.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
It might be easier for you to buy a 5mm hex socket, a 3/8" extension and 3/8" socket wrench and tighten the clamp yourself.
The clamp on my car was not so loose it rattled but it was what I would call finger tight. That is if you could turn the screw on the clamp with your fingers.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
I just had my 2014 Jetta 6 speed sedan fixed yesterday. Drove it 100 miles home from the dealer and almost another 100 today. I can't tell any differences. Too soon to tell if fuel economy was affected but will share when I have a better sense.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
First oil change after the fix and I notice that the EGR filter seems to be different. Here's a pic of the area showing the egr filter. The filter looks more like a small flex pipe. If there's a filter in there it's really small.

Am I nuts or has the EGR filter been essentially removed? Am I missing something here?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
First oil change after the fix and I notice that the EGR filter seems to be different. Here's a pic of the area showing the egr filter. The filter looks more like a small flex pipe. If there's a filter in there it's really small.

Am I nuts or has the EGR filter been essentially removed? Am I missing something here?
From the first time we heard, the fix for these cars was described as including a new low pressure EGR filter.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5095172&postcount=3

My personal theory is that it includes a smaller surface area screen that would clog easier in the case of a cracked DPF. would then throw codes quicker. time will tell.

2kjetta18

TDI
09 jetta TDI
Anyone experience a shudder or jerking at 40mph when engine is warming up? does it probably 5-8 times. noticed right away on my wifes and brothers car after the fix. both are 09 manual transmission. now probably a month and a half to two months later both cars have flashing glow plug and p0638 throttle body actuator bank 1 implausible signal faults. brother took his off and cleaned it and fault has gone away for now. tried that on my wifes(didn't look very dirty) and the code came right back on next start up. thinking the shudder could have been causing by a failing throttle body actuator.

Last edited:

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Anyone experience a shudder or jerking at 40mph when engine is warming up?
My 09 MT does the same thing since the fix.
I have 285,000 miles.
Not annoying enough for me to worry about. I usually just speed up a little and it stops. Curious if anyone else has this and if there’s a way to get of it, though.

diesel#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2004.5 Passat Variant (sold), 2000 Golf (still in family), 1998 jetta (RIP)
2014 jetta sportwagen.. 18k

I got the fix a few weeks ago. horrible dealer experience where i scheduled 10 days in advance and when arrived and only after signing the paperwork did they mention, "sorry sir, we can't get this back to you for 3 more business days and spanning the weekend". yeah.. I had a rental but.. seriously... this was a four hour job and a simple call to me when they could do it in a timely manner would have been appreciated

check from VW arrived in 3 business days post fix. still waiting for word from Bosch -- how has timing been for others?

I hadn't pinpointed that shudder/jerking to 40 mph, but there does seem to be a bit of it at times. Feels exactly the same as when my fuel filters have clogged in the past due to gelling (no winter additive!). Only difference is that in cold weather, usually when that jerking starts you wind up stalling as filter becomes more and more clogged. Sometimes a regen or some other cycle feels like this too.

Overall, I like the DST. For me, the DSG switch has made the car a LOT more driveable. I was a Kerma-fan pre-fix; and, within 24 hours had my tune back. SWEETER than before. Just DO THIS folks if you haven't.

mpg seems the same--- maybe better... on country road driving (mostly 65 w/ a few lights now and then) I've been getting above 40 (probably 1 or so lower than stated on dash, 43.2 but-- pretty good. In inner city driving, because the S mode of the transmission ow doesn't hold at quite so high a rev, I think my mileage has improved

all in all, given that i bought an end of model year close-out three months prior to the official announcement (great price and max refund). I couldn't be happier.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Anyone experience a shudder or jerking...
I think most of the reports about shudder and jerking have to do with more frequent fuel injection episodes to keep the car running cleaner. I can see it monitoring the EGT. When I feel a jerk or shudder, I glance over at the EGT, and sure enough there is a spike in temperature. Those spikes are clearly related to fuel being injected into the system. That behavior also explains why the mpg should be down compared to before the fix.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Nearly 1 week after the fix, and no issues. The engine may be slightly louder at idle... But no comments otherwise. As expected, ~1 mpg drop in miliage.

2010 MT JSW

tdi_spec

TDI
2012 Tornado Red Golf TDI
That sucks. Should be covered under warranty tho. How many miles on the car?
Mine got the fix a couple weeks ago. More regens, 2mpg less.
Yeah the service writer said it should be covered no problem and they provided a loaner 2018 Jetta in the meantime. The car has 77,000 miles on it now. The HPFP exploded at around 70,000 miles but the HPFP warranty covered that as well. It is annoying to have to keep getting stuff fixed but it has been a pretty painless process every time and I don't see any reason to get rid of the car as long as it is covered by these additional warranties.

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Got the fix on 12/27/17
2013 JSW manual w/ 58K miles
The car performs ok. I feel the torque is pretty much there if I need it, however, it seems like I need a little more pedal to get it. Sometimes it does feel a little logey overall.
There is a lot more noise when cold and it runs at a faster idle when the engine is cold. Regens haven't been too frequent.

The biggest issue is that the fuel economy is just not anywhere near what it used to be. They told us 1 ~ 2 mpg reduction depending on driving habits. I firmly believe that's 1 or 2 off of the original window sticker, 30 - 42, which we were all greatly exceeding. It's NOT 1-2 mpg off what we were used to getting. At least in my case, I'm struggling to get the car up over 40mpg on the highway with conservative driving.
It had been very cold here but the last few days it warmed up to almost 60 degrees and still the mpg's are way off.
I'm regretting having the fix done. I think the only two options are buyback or leave it at is. I wonder if there are any places that can revert the fix. Seems some places in the U.K. are claiming they can. . .

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I’m in Ohio and had the fix done as soon as it was available.

The weather was much nicer then (60’s-70’s) and was getting about the same MPG on my display after the fix as I was before (40ish mpg based on my driving style).

Last week when the temps were single digits and low teens my MDF display was telling me I was only getting 30 MPG.

Yesterday it was showing 42 MPG (and mid 50 temps) on the same drive as the above mpg’s.

Give it a chance with better weather before you give up.

Don’t forget you have a nice long warranty now too!

See what happens - it may be very weather related.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Got the fix on 12/27/17
The car performs ok. I feel the torque is pretty much there if I need it, however, it seems like I need a little more pedal to get it. Sometimes it does feel a little logey overall.
There is a lot more noise when cold and it runs at a faster idle when the engine is cold. Regens haven't been too frequent.

The biggest issue is that the fuel economy is just not anywhere near what it used to be. They told us 1 ~ 2 mpg reduction depending on driving habits. I firmly believe that's 1 or 2 off of the original window sticker, 30 - 42, which we were all greatly exceeding. It's NOT 1-2 mpg off what we were used to getting. At least in my case, I'm struggling to get the car up over 40mpg on the highway with conservative driving.
It had been very cold here but the last few days it warmed up to almost 60 degrees and still the mpg's are way off.
I'm regretting having the fix done. I think the only two options are buyback or leave it at is. I wonder if there are any places that can revert the fix. Seems some places in the U.K. are claiming they can. . .
buyback is not available once the fix has been applied...F.Y.I.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Got the fix on 12/27/17

I’m in Ohio and had the fix done as soon as it was available.

The weather was much nicer then (60’s-70’s) and was getting about the same MPG on my display after the fix as I was before (40ish mpg based on my driving style).

Last week when the temps were single digits and low teens my MDF display was telling me I was only getting 30 MPG.

Yesterday it was showing 42 MPG (and mid 50 temps) on the same drive as the above mpg’s.

Give it a chance with better weather before you give up.

Don’t forget you have a nice long warranty now too!

See what happens - it may be very weather related.
Remember that you also get lower mileage on winter blend diesel. I know April is a long way off, but wait and see what happens to your mileage once you start burning summer blend.

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Word, thanks for the encouragement. I should remind myself that its still way better mpg than an Alltrack.
An Alltrack TDI would have been amazing though...
There is a Passat Alltrack TDI if you are in Australia.

Forrest resto's, I was implying the best options were buyback or do nothing for anyone who still had a virgin ECU. Though I'm sure VW would buyback my TDI now for about a third of their previous offer ;(

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree but really wanted to see the Atlas with blutech, diesel hybrid.

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
Fix applied Thursday, so too soon to make any assessments on mileage, but the car certainly has a very perceptible 'flat spot' just off idle, between 1000 and 1200 RPMs.

Feels like when one retarded the ignition too much in the cars of the 60's and 70's, which made the car feel 'flat' at very low RPMs until the centrifugal advance mechanism started to advance the timing. Maybe injection timing has been softened or turbo boosting delayed a bit which is creating what feels like a similar 'flat spot' in the torque buildup. Boost seems to come up more suddenly as well -but that could just be a feeling created by the 'flat spot' before the boost comes on.

I would not be surprised if this is less noticeable in DSG cars where boost is maintained between shifts, but on my manual, it's distinctly noticeable -and me no likey one bit. I think a Malone Stage 1 tune is in the cards, soon

Last edited:

joshhol

TDI
Galo, I'd be very interested to hear your driving impressions and fuel economy numbers before and after the Stage 1 tune.

We had mild temps the other day, got much more reasonable mpgs:
67 mile round trip, nearly all highway
58 degrees
53mph average speed on the computer, my speeds on the highway were between 67 and 73
45.7 MPG overall according to the computer.

This was a lot more like it, though I was being tender with the car.

TDIJettaz

TDI
'14 JSW, '02 JW
I just bought one of the Gen1 buybacks this weekend, and it's a '14 JSW manual. I'd never driven one of the newer ones previously, but after the fix, and I know it at least still has more power than my ALH Wagon with RC2!

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I just bought one of the Gen1 buybacks this weekend, and it's a '14 JSW manual. I'd never driven one of the newer ones previously, but after the fix, and I know it at least still has more power than my ALH Wagon with RC2!
You bought the fixed gen 1 car from the VW dealer? How does the post fixed emission warranty applies since the 2014 probably still has a good chunk of the original new car warranty available.