How to replace your MkIV's front wheel bearings

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Axle just slides through the bearing. The heavy-lifting comes in to play when re-torquing the axle nut.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
You should do an alignment after that too. There are special tools for that as well.

Oh, and you may need to replace the wheel speed/abs sensors. They are plastic, fit in the knuckles, and often break when being removed. Getting new ones for the new knuckles is easier.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've read thru all of this install post. I have tools I need on hand. I'm considering buying AA Rodriges steering knuckle unit replacements for MK4 (2003 Jetta). Please no posts on just do the bearings. Not going that route.

Once I remove the knuckle from axle and front strut, then reattach the new knuckle, how does one get it to go on the axle? Maybe dumb question, did not see any pics.

Do you have to press it on reverse of using hub puller to remove it from axle, or just get it started on splines (after lightly greasing the splines) and then as you tighten up the nut, does that tighten the hub/new knuckle onto the axle spline?

Never done this before, have done many things with great help from people on this forum, so looking for clarification.

I do have blurry vision, so it takes me longer. Taking it to a shop is no in my budget at this time. And yes, I've verified using jack stands that the drivers side is indeed bad.

thanks coulee

ECS Tuning also sells these knuckles loaded with bearings.

Having sampled all of the vendors offering loaded knuckled ECS has the highest quality knuckles.

Last edited:

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You should do an alignment after that too. There are special tools for that as well.

Oh, and you may need to replace the wheel speed/abs sensors. They are plastic, fit in the knuckles, and often break when being removed. Getting new ones for the new knuckles is easier.
Carefully working with the cut off wheel on my Dremel I was able to save both wheel sensors. $70 for two at idparts....it was worth it to save them.

Yreka

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I've read thru all of this install post. I have tools I need on hand. I'm considering buying AA Rodriges steering knuckle unit replacements for MK4 (2003 Jetta). Please no posts on just do the bearings. Not going that route.

Once I remove the knuckle from axle and front strut, then reattach the new knuckle, how does one get it to go on the axle? Maybe dumb question, did not see any pics.

This might be more specific to what you are looking for..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8EGN7IZQiw

Good choice on Vendor, AAROD is A+. I have a peeve about people not responding to emails / questions, especially AFTER they have your $$. FixmyVW always comes through.

4loops

TDI
2002 Jetta
Just replaced my front left wheel bearing with this DIY.. Awesome writeup!

I do have an alternate method for step #3, removing the inner race from the hub.

Instead of cutting off the race and spending a ton of time on that, I was able to use a smaller 2 ton jaw puller, and hooking around the very slight lip that the inner race has when still on the hub.

You can get the jaw puller to stay tight on the race's lip by use of a rubber band.
Here's a few pics of what I was able to do:

First few cranks will be slightly on the lip:

After you pull it up about 1/4 inch, the whole jaw puller tabs will fit under the race:

When you pull it up almost to the top, it won't be so tight, and you can just pull it off, so you don't have to worry about a tool like pictured getting in the way:

Maybe the OP can suggest this easy method instead, in the first post????

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I had a two-jaw puller kit already in my tool arsenal and gave that a try the second time I had to do a wheel bearing.

I've used it a few times now and while it takes me more time to assemble the puller than to actually pull the inner race off, I smile every time I use it because it's just so slick. :)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had a two-jaw puller kit already in my tool arsenal and gave that a try the second time I had to do a wheel bearing.

I've used it a few times now and while it takes me more time to assemble the puller than to actually pull the inner race off, I smile every time I use it because it's just so slick. :)
I think that that's the one that I have (would have to look). I couldn't get the hooks under the race lip! I ended up dremeling groves further up and getting the hooks to catch; this was a last ditch effort, and I really struggled to get it to work (a rubber band would likely have helped, though not sure how much- it was more about the hooks biting into the metal). Next time I go to do this I'll be sure to have a better plan/tool!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just did a bearing replacement today, and noticed that a few positions around the inner race where I couldn't get the jaws of my puller to stay square.
Having said that, there was at least one where it wedged in nicely.

Maybe two seconds with the baby impact gun, and the inner race all but slid off.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just did a bearing replacement today, and noticed that a few positions around the inner race where I couldn't get the jaws of my puller to stay square.
Having said that, there was at least one where it wedged in nicely.
I've got to check that out! I'm going to run out to my car and pull... :eek::D For sure, the next time I go to do this, which I hope isn't for a LONG time, I'll know what to look for to make this work much easier than it was for my first R&R.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I fought with a puller last night for about an hour and simply couldn't get enough bite to pull the race off. Went in the garage and busted out the dremel and with a cut-off disc I cut a notch down the race in about 5 minutes and took a chisel to and and after only a couple whacks it cleanly slipped right off.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I fought with a puller last night for about an hour and simply couldn't get enough bite to pull the race off. Went in the garage and busted out the dremel and with a cut-off disc I cut a notch down the race in about 5 minutes and took a chisel to and and after only a couple whacks it cleanly slipped right off.
This has been my experience as well. No amount of futzing with the puller would get it to grip but 30 seconds with the Dremel and a few whacks of the cold chisel with a mini sledge and the inner race popped right off.

The last wheel bearing I did, I even tried using my 4" angle grinder. Definitely more fiddly to get a decent notch and not score the hub, but absolutely doable.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You all that are dremeling the race, how did you get the lower "mushroom" part of the race cut? If I recall correctly, I wasn't able to cut down there without gouging into the hub itself: running parallel to the hub's shaft it's hard to get a round wheel to cut to the base.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
You all that are dremeling the race, how did you get the lower "mushroom" part of the race cut? If I recall correctly, I wasn't able to cut down there without gouging into the hub itself: running parallel to the hub's shaft it's hard to get a round wheel to cut to the base.
I cut it at an angle and didn't even come close to gouging the hub. Just take it slow and you shouldn't have any issues. Don't worry about trying to cut through it completely. If you get 90% through it, you can crack it with a chisel.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
also, if you nick the hub its not the end of the world, just sand it flat before trying to re-use it. But the previous point is correct, just notch it enough to get a chisel head/punch in there to cause it to split.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, thanks for the responses!

I DID nick the hub when I cut perpendicular (it was ugly and brutal way to do it, but in the end it worked- just don't want to repeat this method!), and I'd known in advance that it wouldn't cause any problems- it was nice to know about that as that removed an additional anxiety point from the equation (especially when in the throes of battle!). For me, that is, the job wouldn't have been bad at all had removing the race from the hub not been such a pain.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Given what inadvertent damage I've done with a Dremel before, I'm happy to stick with my puller. A couple minutes to put it together and then hit it with the impact gun - done.
(And gives me a very self-satisfied smile when something works that cleanly and easily.)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Given what inadvertent damage I've done with a Dremel before, I'm happy to stick with my puller. A couple minutes to put it together and then hit it with the impact gun - done.
(And gives me a very self-satisfied smile when something works that cleanly and easily.)
Well, I'm glad that one of has the right tool!:D

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
But you still have to contend with the OTHER part of that damned bearing - the outboard inner race that's still stuck on the hub.

I had to cut all the way through mine to get it to budge. Cutting the race off is much easier and faster.
Before coming across this post, I faced the problem. Before taking the dremel out, I took the assembly to a local shop asking if they have a puller. Helpful experienced mechanic: "no tool, but I can take it off for you in a minute".

He clamped into a vise, took a torch to the ring (almost looked like on one spot only, but not sure if intentional) and gave it a whack with a chisel. Second hit the ring literally exploded off the shaft.

That's how they do ALL of those rings.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey guys, I bought a used spindle/knuckle from a guy locally and it turns out that the hub ABS ring has a slight bend in it.

Would it be still fine to use?

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
theres many ways to get inner ring off (I aint got there yet) a kukko 204-v or hazet 4931 are made for the job. not that some folks didn't know that.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
when I get to the point of getting the hub off if I put the wheel back on tighten the bolts, if I grapple with it do you think the hub will depart the housing im thinking it will.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Hey guys, I bought a used spindle/knuckle from a guy locally and it turns out that the hub ABS ring has a slight bend in it.

Would it be still fine to use?
I would try to gently straighten it out, but it should be OK to use. The Bentley says the tone ring should be 0.3mm from the wheel speed sensor so use your best judgement.

when I get to the point of getting the hub off if I put the wheel back on tighten the bolts, if I grapple with it do you think the hub will depart the housing im thinking it will.
My personal opinion is no amount of grappling will remove the hub better than a slide hammer, but your grappling skills could be better than mine. Have a buddy make a video of it, YouTube it and let's find out! This definitely sounds like a "hold my beer and check this **** out" kind of moment. :D

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
This is a great write up... I followed it to a "T", even the part of forgetting to install the clip. Ug! Fortunately I didn't have the hub all the way in before seeing the clip laying there so it wasn't a problem getting the inner race off the hub.

Once the hub is installed, will it be a little wobbly before getting the axle torqued down? It turns fine but has some play in it.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Once the hub is installed, will it be a little wobbly before getting the axle torqued down? It turns fine but has some play in it.
Maybe a little wobble is normal. The inner race is in two pieces, and tightening the axle nut squeezes them together to put some pre-load on the bearings. (It would probably be more correct to say there are two inner races.)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Has anybody used an electric impact gun to remove the wheel bearings with the wheel bearing tool?

I don't have air tools but I do have an electric impact gun that's pretty much brand new.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
as long as the torque is comparable, it should be fine. they used a 3/4 drive impact on mine when they did it. 1/2" air line, so it wasn't a torque monster. Took a good 45 mins to get the knuckle free of the car tho. Apparently it had been together through a number of southern ontario winters lol

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Has anybody used an electric impact gun to remove the wheel bearings with the wheel bearing tool?

I don't have air tools but I do have an electric impact gun that's pretty much brand new.
I used an electric. No problem at all. However, it was a Milwaukee 2763-22...

If you're talking about one of those cheap ones, probably not going to work.