www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 20th, 2020, 06:26   #301
JamesBa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): GOLF '02
Question Diesel-Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drys View Post
I don't think a diesel-hybrid will ever make it to the states, at least.
Why not?
Old February 20th, 2020, 09:41   #302
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBa View Post
Why not?

Too expensive.

And we have at least one model sold here that was available in "regular", a diesel, and a [gasoline] hybrid: the NCS Jetta sedan.

Base price: $15k

TDI option: $22k

Hybrid option: $23k

So, theoretically, the "TDI+hybrid" would be around $30k... to start. Most would get tarted up, so would you pay for a $35k Jetta while the base model was sitting right next to it that started at $15k? I certainly wouldn't.

There was a diesel hybrid E-class sedan on display at the NAIAS a few years back. It was a Euro model, not ever sold here, although we did get the 4 cyl diesel like it had for three years. No idea what it cost, but it likely was not cheap.
Old February 21st, 2020, 10:27   #303
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

Just an update on my quest for achieving better FE. In the past I used to get very good economy before I started with all the mods; however even with the mods these cars have way better FE than 99% of other combustion cars on the road.

I have been testing the P&G method as described on the early pages of this thread. When on the freeway and I do a lot of freeway driving I use the following technique. I gently accelerate for 5 seconds and I glide for 7-10 seconds. I can achieve on a my local highways an average range between 55-60mpg however in the 3 miles that it takes me to go from the freeway exit to the front door of the office my mileage drops to 51mog. These values are measured by a ScanGauge which has a margin of error if 0.0xx gallons. When I fill up for example my ScaGauge will tell me that the fuel consumption for the tank was 12.5 gallons however when I do fill up the actual fuel pumped might be 12.55; I wish there was a way to add one more decimal value to the ScanGauge. I run the tires at 38psi.
My car is somewhat modded with a BG "S7" turbo, PP502 nozzles and RC3+ tune.
I just wanted to share my experience here. In the past (5+ years ago) I used to participate in the monthly mileage competition and 700 mile tanks were often achieved.
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 14:52   #304
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Driving isn't supposed to be such a chore. I am happy with the mileage I get just regular driving down the road. No way I am going to do that constantly every 15 seconds over and over again. You must want that extra economy pretty bad.
Old February 21st, 2020, 14:56   #305
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Driving isn't supposed to be such a chore. I am happy with the mileage I get just regular driving down the road. No way I am going to do that constantly every 15 seconds over and over again. You must want that extra economy pretty bad.
After a while it becomes second nature and to some degree I agree with you, get in the car and drive/go. Bit I am glad to get those extra 3-5mpg without much effot.
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2020, 07:18   #306
Cbus27

Default Upgrades for fuel economy?

Hello,

This is the first time posting anything so forgive me if it’s not correct area or not enough info. I have a 2002 Jetta ALH w/ 5 spd manual and it’s stock. It has 297k miles and the turbo is about ready to go. I’m getting High boost PSI faults so I assume the VGT is sticking on turbo. I also assume it’s leaking a little oil which is common for the mileage and age.

I will be driving 115 miles all highway one way starting this summer 5 days a week. I am currently getting 43 mpg.

I contacted KermaTDI about a new turbo they suggested VN-17, new injectors 520 and a tune. I was quoted $2k for everything I need. I told them I wasn’t looking for a lot of power over stock but an increase in mpg or at least stay with what I’m getting now.

My question has anyone do this upgrade ? What mpg gain if any did you see ? Is it worth putting $2k into a 300k car. Mechanical it’s a great car and the body is good. Interior is excellent. I will just be using it to commute. I only paid $300 for the car and have put 15k miles on it already.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cbus27; February 27th, 2020 at 07:20. Reason: Miss spelling
Cbus27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2020, 07:44   #307
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I would find the trusted mechanics list here and find someone close to you and have the car evaluated first. IDparts has a reman stock turbo for $529 if needed.

https://www.idparts.com/vnt-15-turbo...an-p-4608.html

I would skip the tune and injectors and just do a dieselpurge instead.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=diesel+purge

You will never recoup the money spent for the tune and injectors from fuel savings. So don't do that unless you really need new injectors and want a tune. Stick with what is needed to run. If you can do your own work you should be able to keep it under $1k easily.

I would just keep it stock and get it in the best shape you can. You may not even need a turbo just yet. You have a number of trusted mechanics around you there.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...10828396875002

Last edited by Lightflyer1; February 27th, 2020 at 07:47.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2020, 08:07   #308
Cbus27

I did a Moly diesel Purge back when I purchased the car. I have a lift and my good friend and I own 6 VW’s between the 2 of us. The labor will cost me nothing and I understand I will never recoup the actual $2k investment. Just wanted to know if anybody has replaced all these ? If there are any other better options out there ? I understand KermaTDI is a good company but as with any good salesman they push their products because the are in the business to make money.
Old February 27th, 2020, 08:31   #309
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

That is probably about what you should expect to spend no matter who you got this stuff from. Tune, injectors and turbo. Just from my reading here and experience.
Old February 27th, 2020, 08:33   #310
Cbus27

Well thank you all for the replys. I have some thinking to do. I plan on keeping car till I can’t fix it anymore
Old February 28th, 2020, 08:09   #311
Cbus27

I have another question. If I up grade just the turbo to a VN-17 and the MAP sensor will I need a tune so it doesn’t over boost since it’s a larger turbo than what is on the car already
Old February 28th, 2020, 08:47   #312
amit9
Veteran Member

Check/Lube the lever on the VNT actuator arm, it helped restoring some power in my case.
Refer to: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/pages/tdi-wiki/
"VNT turbo actuator adjustment and repair/replacement on TDI engine-mk4"

Bigger turbo/Injectors/Tunes are all desirable upgrades, and as Lightflyer1 said, their costs will never be recouped.

Check/Clean the EGR valve and the intake manifold. At this age and mileage, those are probably clogged. Cleaning them is not much cost assuming you're DIY, and will give you some mpg increase.
Check/Adjust the rear brake parking cables, if the wheels are not rotating freely. The MK4 rear wheels are highly prone to sticking/dragging, and will lower the mpg.
Check all vacuum lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus27 View Post
Hello,

This is the first time posting anything so forgive me if it’s not correct area or not enough info. I have a 2002 Jetta ALH w/ 5 spd manual and it’s stock. It has 297k miles and the turbo is about ready to go. I’m getting High boost PSI faults so I assume the VGT is sticking on turbo. I also assume it’s leaking a little oil which is common for the mileage and age.

I will be driving 115 miles all highway one way starting this summer 5 days a week. I am currently getting 43 mpg.

I contacted KermaTDI about a new turbo they suggested VN-17, new injectors 520 and a tune. I was quoted $2k for everything I need. I told them I wasn’t looking for a lot of power over stock but an increase in mpg or at least stay with what I’m getting now.

My question has anyone do this upgrade ? What mpg gain if any did you see ? Is it worth putting $2k into a 300k car. Mechanical it’s a great car and the body is good. Interior is excellent. I will just be using it to commute. I only paid $300 for the car and have put 15k miles on it already.

Thanks in advance.