Single Mass or Dual Mass

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
Hey guys,

So my dad purchased an 04 Beetle TDI PD from auction a few years back, and grew bored with it, so I picked it up off him. I was able to get the service history of the vehicle...which was incredible, but something that I do not have an invoice for was a clutch replacement. The vehicle was only ever serviced at one VW dealership and was in on a routine basis. I can't see the previous owner deciding to do a clutch replacement elsewhere, given some info I'm working with. The only thing that makes me question that it was not done, is the fact that the vehicle has 520, 000km now. There is no slipping, but if the vehicle is in neutral and idling you'll hear a slight rattle, which disappears as soon as you engage the clutch. I seem to remember this rattle always being there, but my mind may be making that up. I also have read that this rattle can be a symptom of a single mass flywheel. Is there a way I can confirm whether it is Single or Dual, also check clutch plate wear, without separating the the tranny? If there is no inspection window, what are the tells of a single mass and a dual mass?

Thanks

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
On the backside of the transmission there is a plate that has one 10 mm bolt in it.. you can get a small view in there through that. Its behind the axle. You MAY be able to remove the slave and see as well, or take pics and review.

there is no way to check the check clutch plate wear.

The rattle can be SMF rattle, this generally goes away if you push in the Clutch Pedal, but it could also be a failing DMF.

A clutch job in Canada at the dealer is probably like $2500 if not more, the clutch kits through dealer are stupid expensive, so if it was done (which is most likely) it was done at a independent shop or by the owner.

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
I got $27,000 of service receipts with the vehicle, and it was only worked on by two guys...The previous owner was a bit of a nutter. Every 3.5-4 months like clockwork. It seems like cost really was not an option for the guy. Makes me think he would not take it elsewhere. But he very well might have.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
when you say engage the clutch that is confusing, does that mean you have to be moving for it to go away (put in first and go etc)? or just depress the clutch pedal to the floor? If you're simply pushing the pedal to the floor and it goes away, its most likely SMF rattle.

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
You don't even need to push it to the floor...just enough that the pressure plate starts to separate. I'm hoping you guys are right and he did take it elsewhere due to the price. Thanks for the input guys.