What reliable non-FWD mid-size diesels for less than $10K are out there?

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have not found a sedan or SUV that I like in my area with a decent powered N/A gasser. Right now the BMX 335i is towards the top of the list, but if I am going to buy a direct injection low end BMW gasser that takes high octane, is it going to be different than a diesel maintenance wise? Locally, there is a 2011 335D with 122K miles for $8500, and a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD with 144K miles for $8900, and some 05-06 E320 CDIs for $5500ish. From reading on here the CDIs seem to be well loved, but I don't know much about the BMW or the Jeep. If anyone has comments on them, or other vehicles to look at, please let me know.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The 335Ds will casually run 12s in the 1/4 with tuning and are very solid cars. Can't compete with Mercedes for interior quality though, and all of these listed vehicles will probably be well past a VW in terms of maintenance. Auto or manual? For a stock commuter the E320 is probably the best option. Some of those Jeeps are well equip too, the bmw is considerably more performance orientated.

I would personally budget factory quality diagnostic equipment into the purchase price of any newer German car, could save you a ton of headache down the road.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yes, all 335Ds built are auto unfortunately. Try both out and see what you like, the ZF in the 335D is a very strong transmission, have a few people tracking them regularly and they're quick stock. The Mercedes will probably be more reliable and comfortable but is much slower and not in the same league for handling. Also no DEF system to worry about, assuming you keep them stock.