Mk5 wiper issue

MontanaShaun

TDI
2006 jetta
I have searched and am still struggling with a non working wiper issue on a 2006 jetta I just picked up.
All fuses are good, washer spray pump works, found the wires to hood switch a bit damaged and repaired them (hood open indicator shows when open, off when closed) have power to red/white wire to motor, power to purple signal wire and ground continuity to negative terminal battery. Got another motor/linkage from salvage yard today and still no wipers. What am I missing? I dont have a vagcom nor do i know anyone with one. Is there programming needed for wiper module? I can tell the motor was replaced before and the harness at motor has been repaired. Anyway to bench test one of these motors safely?
Thanks in advance for anyone time and valued info.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
With the key on, one of the bigger wires is always hot for the motor. The other big wire (usually brown) is the ground for the motor. The smaller wires digitally command the controller inside of the motor to turn the motor on and off.

When you check for power, use a digital multimeter. A test light on the wrong wire could fry something expensive so don't take a chance of bricking a controller with a test light.

You should be able to dissemble and or run continuity on the switch enough to make sure it is working properly.

On these digital cars, you can get stuck pretty quickly if you don't have a way to communicate with the system controllers. (VCDS) A wiring diagram is pretty much a must have, as well. Almost forgot, I do have wiring diagrams.............

Last edited:

MontanaShaun

TDI
2006 jetta
Ol'Rattler, thank you for your response. I used a multimeter to test the power connector at the motor. We saw battery voltage on the big red/white wire all the time and the big brown wire checked out for ground. The little purple wire shows a varying 10.* volts. I think the controller is sending what it should but was surprised when I put another motor on and nothing different happened. The hood switch shows when opened/closed on dash cluster and will let washer pump operate when closed so can I rule out a faulty hood switch? Is it possible all parts are good but an error code needs reset? I want to purchase a vcds but need to budget for one. I do not have a local vw dealer here but do have a vw mechanic shop. Should they be able to check for codes? He was the one that pointed out the compromised hood latch wire that I repaired and he said it's usually the hood latch that is the problem. Said he has never had to change a controller before.

MontanaShaun

TDI
2006 jetta
Also Ol'Rattler, I would very much appreciate a copy of the wire diagram you have.

What are you saying about disassemble of the switch and run continually to make sure it's working properly?

Thank you.

MontanaShaun

TDI
2006 jetta
Any help with this, ie wiring diagrams would be great. I am still stumped. I am sitting at the service department right now and they just told me they couldn't figure it out and want me to schedule another appointment. 6 hours out of my day today to be left where I started... Not to mention what ever Bill they charge me for nothing..