Coolant Leak- H20 pump?

Pentonvb05

TDI
2012 Passat
Ive got a pretty nasty coolant leak. Looks like the coolant is coming from behind the bracket that holds the ac compressor and the alternator. Looking at diagrams there is nothing there but the block. Is this common for the water pump to leak through there? Here is a video of the leak: https://youtu.be/TyTyGOcAFGY

I dont see any other hoses leaking or the intercooler. Im pretty much at a loss. The car has 150000 on it and hasnt had the timing belt changed yet. Ive read through a lot of posts and cannot find anything similar.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
150k on the oem pump is unheard of :eek: most deff needs replaced. May want to swap the t belt out while your in there but at this point it prob will make it until the 260,000 mile service ;)

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
hi Pentonvb05!

pardon my stickin my nose in where i may not know much about but....

that leak may not be your water pump.

if i am looking at your video correctly the coolant seems to running down the front of the block behind the intercooler.

if so, i had the same problem on my 2012 passat. for me it turned out to be a broken plastic oil filter housing which allowed the gasket between the plastic housing and the block to shift position and leak. the leak was big (about one quart/20 miles) and hard to find (had to move the stainless steel EGR line and pressurize the system with the engine off). i have a posting describing my problem and i'll write up the diagnosis and fix in that posting with pictures after i receive the new part and put it in (pretty straight forward but expensive parts).

so i would do some additional checking before assuming it's the pump.

while i agree that 150K is too long to go on the timing belt and water pump (i replaced both together at 130K), i think you should check for leaks in that area in the front of the block that's hard to see into.

just adding my own experience.

bob.

Last edited:

Pentonvb05

TDI
2012 Passat
Thank you sir. I will check that out. I have looked around that area and didnt see any thing coming from there, but you are correct. It is really hard to see anything in that area. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Timing belt is due at 130,000 miles. As with any other TDI, it is recommended (by us, not by VW) to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt job, even if it hasn't started leaking yet.