What is a MkIV TDI worth?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I know this is a subjective question based on condition and a few other factors. But I have a customer that is interested in selling her MkIV and I may be interested in getting back into a MkIV.

So it's a silver 2002 Jetta sedan. So it has the coveted ALH. BUT... It's an automatic. Its a GLS with black cloth, Power windows & mirrors, No sunroof, 15" Avus alloys.

This is a genuine little old lady car. I believe she said it only has 100k miles. And she is disabled so she wont be driving anymore. She bought it new at my dealership, so I know it is a one owner car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
They're priceless!
It's priced like any other car, oddly they can fluctuate with drastic changes in fuel costs.
It's a bit of an outlier, negative on the automatic transmission, positive on mileage and condition, nice model but old.
If you're a dealer, you already know more than most of us about the value.
There is a market for folks who can't drive stick.
Hopefully folks will chime in on what they have actually paid recently. I'd say it's between $2000 and $5500.
Buy low sell high (bet you never heard that one)

mu2bdriver

TDI
2003 A4
In the northeast, price is dependent on rust, rot, and general body condition as much as mileage and ownership history. When I was looking for something to replace my sedan prices were all over from $1500 rotted away hulls to almost $10k for pampered, tuned, and modded cars.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
In the northeast, price is dependent on rust, rot, and general body condition as much as mileage and ownership history. When I was looking for something to replace my sedan prices were all over from $1500 rotted away hulls to almost $10k for pampered, tuned, and modded cars.
:eek::eek::eek:

Well, This is a Nevada desert car all its life. So rust shouldnt even be a consideration.

Maybe I need to start buying cars here and selling them in the Northeast. LOL

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Well the fact that its a rust free specimen with only 100K or so is a huge plus, the drawback of course is the auto. She paid a premium for it when she bought the car and now its a liability.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I just bought a 2005 Jetta BEW with the 09A automatic. It has 96 K on it and had $3 K worth of maintenance done to it in the last 6 months (TB belt/kit, new struts, new brakes, tires, etc). The body is rust free (Texas car) and in mint condition as is the interior. It's a GLS with all the features. I paid $3,000 for it but is is worth maybe $4000+.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
That's a nice looking Golf for sale. I wonder if it needs a timing belt + kit? As always, used car dealers never mention deferred maintenance.

Mark, can I get $6K for my low mileage Jetta in the PNW?
Tony, yeah, almost a certainty that the TB needs changing: might be why it was traded in- TB "due" (probably only going by mileage and not age). But, one could negotiate the price down, maybe (for a dealer this is actually a pretty decent price- the prices around here are nuts! Up in BC they've really shot up recently, not sure why.)

Here's some of this insanity:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ctd/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-5/6359625857.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-gls-tdi/6355260331.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/2002-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-1/6355021177.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-tdi/6355020370.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2001-volkswagen-jetta-tdi/6321161375.html

I ended up shelling out $6k for my Golf! It was just under $5k (114k miles), but then the shipping costs bumped it up almost another $1k. First purchase, clearly over-paid: but, the car, is REALLY nice (now): I don't want anything else.

Around here (and probably elsewhere) Golfs tend to fetch more than Jettas (except wagons).

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
The mk4s are getting a bit dated. Though CL may have many of these listed for $6K - $7, what they actually sell for depends on the skills of the seller and the, uh enthusiasm, of the buyer. Even though that AT MkIV only has 100K, For $5k you can get a 03 BMW 330 with relatively low miles.
It’s all about if you can get the cherry vw for a good price. Insurance valued my 01 GLS TDI Jetta at $2800 a year ago, so how can we justify a valuation of $5k just cuz they’re great cars?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'm in the process of buying an 03 silver Jetta 5-speed with less than 300k on the body and tranny. However, the engine has over 300k as it come out of a wrecked 01 (did the work and know the history of both cars). I'm paying $2,500 and it needs a TB job which I will do.

I'm letting my 2000 Jetta go for free to my son. It is pushing 370k miles and is 6k miles past a TB job (which, no doubt, I'll be doing that one too)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As they say, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. Won't deny that asking price is different than selling price. However, there IS a general trend, a sense of the general market.

My car may be "worth" $1, or $10k. It's really of no importance to me because: 1) I don't plan on selling it; 2) I don't want/need anything else.

I "advised" someone in the Classifieds section on a car that he was selling. He's up around my area, so I have a reasonable idea on what is and isn't a realistic price. Besides a lazy attempt at pitching the car, it had nearly 200k miles and nothing of any note that stood out (nothing in the way of maintenance)- it was a 5spd. He was asking $6k. (my car, by this measure, would be 'worth" $12k) Last I saw the price was down to $3,700 and he'd listed it on the West side of the mountains.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tony, yeah, almost a certainty that the TB needs changing: might be why it was traded in- TB "due" (probably only going by mileage and not age). But, one could negotiate the price down, maybe (for a dealer this is actually a pretty decent price- the prices around here are nuts! Up in BC they've really shot up recently, not sure why.)

Here's some of this insanity:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ctd/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-5/6359625857.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-gls-tdi/6355260331.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/2002-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-1/6355021177.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-tdi/6355020370.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2001-volkswagen-jetta-tdi/6321161375.html

I ended up shelling out $6k for my Golf! It was just under $5k (114k miles), but then the shipping costs bumped it up almost another $1k. First purchase, clearly over-paid: but, the car, is REALLY nice (now): I don't want anything else.

Around here (and probably elsewhere) Golfs tend to fetch more than Jettas (except wagons).
Those asking prices certainly are insane. Around here, no one would even come to look at any of them at those premiums.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those asking prices certainly are insane. Around here, no one would even come to look at any of them at those premiums.
Yeah, and I have to wonder whether anyone here is looking at them either! Seems that one would have to be OK with diesels, and if that were the case then they'd have to have some sort of idea about these cars. I can see novices/unwitting going for the lower priced ones: ugh, even here, it's impossible to get a parts car for under $1,500.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yeah, and I have to wonder whether anyone here is looking at them either! Seems that one would have to be OK with diesels, and if that were the case then they'd have to have some sort of idea about these cars. I can see novices/unwitting going for the lower priced ones: ugh, even here, it's impossible to get a parts car for under $1,500.
The 2005 Jetta TDI with 96K miles that I just bought is every bit as nice as those in the photos and I have every service record going back to 2006. Plus the guy was asking $4 K, had no buyers and I offered $3 K and came home with it. It needed a glow plug harness as it had a few age cracks, but no MIL.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, I remember reading about it when you got it: I thought it an excellent deal. I'm glad that something like that didn't pop up in front of me or I'd be having to learn another language (PD)!:D

I think I got a great deal on my blue Golf.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yup, I remember reading about it when you got it: I thought it an excellent deal. I'm glad that something like that didn't pop up in front of me or I'd be having to learn another language (PD)!:D

I think I got a great deal on my blue Golf.
The crazy part is I don't need the 2005 Jetta. We have a 2013 Santa Fe and a 2017 Jetta S TSI (bought in June). We are retired and our kids are out and on their own and I have the 1971 Bug to play around with. But I just couldn't resist that Jetta for the price and condition. I must have a fetish for these diesels, or I am losing it. :eek:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The crazy part is I don't need the 2005 Jetta. We have a 2013 Santa Fe and a 2017 Jetta S TSI (bought in June). We are retired and our kids are out and on their own and I have the 1971 Bug to play around with. But I just couldn't resist that Jetta for the price and condition. I must have a fetish for these diesels, or I am losing it. :eek:
You know, I have THREE 2000 Golfs. The son has a 2003 Golf. Daughter a 2003 wagon. Of course, all TDIs. Yet, I still look to see what's out there:eek: Make no mistake about it, my car is the only one I want. As my wife reminds me, I don't have time for anything else! I've got two tractors (one is a turbo diesel!:D) and they always are needing something done (mostly regular maintenance). I think it all comes down to a math problem I have: I seem to keep thinking that there are more than 24 hours in a day!

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
2003 one owner mk4, 5 speed new mexico reflex silver gl 144 k

No rust no accidents perfect paint no dents on scuff in rear bumper,(but only on paint) interior perfect. What is this car worth??? Might sell.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The price of Diesel Fuel is certainly not helping sales (used or new), regardless of how you crunch the numbers. Many first time buyers of a diesel powered vehicle look at the 50 to 70 cent price difference in diesel fuel vs RUG and that's as far as their thought process goes!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The price of Diesel Fuel is certainly not helping sales (used or new), regardless of how you crunch the numbers. Many first time buyers of a diesel powered vehicle look at the 50 to 70 cent price difference in diesel fuel vs RUG and that's as far as their thought process goes!
Exactly, and with gassers getting near 40 MPG, it makes a hard case for a diesel. Our 2017 Jetta S TSI is getting 40 on the highway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I know this is a subjective question based on condition and a few other factors. But I have a customer that is interested in selling her MkIV and I may be interested in getting back into a MkIV.
So it's a silver 2002 Jetta sedan. So it has the coveted ALH. BUT... It's an automatic. Its a GLS with black cloth, Power windows & mirrors, No sunroof, 15" Avus alloys.
This is a genuine little old lady car. I believe she said it only has 100k miles.
That is the difference between a TDI worth $5k-$6k and one only worth about $2k.

Anyone shopping for a Mk4 TDI has to look at long-term reliability. This car may be reliable in all other respects, but it has an unreliable transmission and that must be factored into the price.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
If you pay for full coverage on a car you pay $6K for, and your payout is $2800 in case of getting totaled, is it worth $6K or $2800?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Does this include the new VW's needing premium fuel? :eek:
Diesel is $.40 cents (US) cheaper for me and my Jetta gets upper 40's where my Tiguan mid 20's.

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
I live in the PNW also, and it's so hard to find a decently priced mk4 TDI, and when I do, I have to drive 4 hours one way to go to it. And seeing as im a novice in the diesel VW world, I'm trying to be very careful before I buy anything

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So....

I don’t think I’ll be buying this MkIV. She towed it in finally to get the key programmed and so I could take a look at it. It’s not anywhere near the great condition she told me it was.

Front bumper hanging off on pass side, rear wheel well opening has damage (hit something on pass side...) hood has paint chipped away near wiper (opened hood with wipers up?), Tires are nearly bald and dated 2007. Oh yeah, it was sitting under a tree for nearly 2 years! Original timing belt. And now that I see the BIG ASS PICTURES (sorry about that by the way) the fuse box is melted by the alternator fuse. Interesting...

My detail shop said they would want $150 to clean this up. Ha ha ha.

The good news is that it only has 53k miles. We found out after we charged the battery to program the key.

We also found out IT SMOKES LIKE A DAMN WILD FIRE! When the tech started it, the service manager came running with a fire extinguisher thinking it was on fire.

Oh, also forgot. She seems to believe it is worth the full retail value great condition KBB value if $3,500 as it sits.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Well it does have potential. I do see what looks like a hole, chewed in the hood liner, which means it has or has had resident rodents. That auto transmission is the biggest drawback I see, and there is a cure for that.

53k miles is a find, but $3500 in its present condition with the auto is way high.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Oh, its definitely got potential....

And since the vehicle only has 53k miles on it, its not too late to service the transmission which could prolong the life of it.

I'm going to wait to see what she says after the techs do their inspection and present it to her.