Drivers side Headlight low beam only and Taillight issue

BuzzWagon

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon B4
I have a 96 tdi station wagon that I drive the wheels off of, and a little while ago the drivers side headlight went out. I put an new bulb in it and it does not work either. I also switched the working bulb out of the Passenger side and it will not light up, so I know the bulb is good. Now here is the strange part, my driver side High beams work just fine...
I then got pulled over with the drivers side tail light out :eek: (only a warning when he saw my ccw permit :D) however it has the same issue. No light with a good bulb. And the Break light and turn signals all work just fine.
I have checked over the wiring harnesses that are accessible and they look fine. My next thought would be the main light switch as I know they can be picky...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would start by checking the grounds and making sure they are good.

Next I would start from a lamp and following the lines back until I found power.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd start by checking the fuses. Take one out, check with ohm meter, put back in.

Somewhere around here's a fuse listing...look on the panel that hides the panel. For some reason, I think #1 is left front headlight, #8 left rear. Should be able to check there for power.

Also - take a look at
http://a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

Last edited:

BuzzWagon

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon B4
It was the fuses. Both of them. I should have checked them along with the bulbs but did not think that two fuses would go at once like that.
The left one that is burnt is my low beam. The tail light was simply blown.

I replaced all of my 10A fuses with new ones for good measure. I might do the rest too. I find it strange that the headlight fuse is not blown, just burnt. That is kind of scary!
Thanks!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Glad it was easy. IIWY, I'd save a copy of that link I found. You never know when you'll need such information.