LEDs bulbs for MKIV Jetta

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Those are the "same" but they just have different board layouts. Do you see the round dot in the top right of the IC in the older photo? This is pin 1. Try to identify a similar dot on the switch you have. Your posted photo isn't high enough resolution for me to see which pin in pin 7.

If that IC is oriented the same way and is the same, then your guess of which pin is pin 7 is correct.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
Yes, I am talking about that image. I was just just looking at it a few minutes ago. It's not as clear as I recall. Because he cut the trace from p7 it doesn't help us. It's also clearly different. Sorry about that.

In your picture I can't make out the p1 dot or notch. Can you look closely at your chip and try to identify a notch in the side edge? It'll most likely be the bottom left corner. Once you find p1 as indicated by a dot or notch, just count in a counter clock-wise direction to p7.

Good luck!
Just making sure you saw this post, you might have missed it at the page break.
I'm not sure what Digital Corpus is on about. The chip in your picture has no dot or notch. That means it must default to the third way of finding pin 1 - the text. The orientation of the text places Pin 1 at the lower left corner. From that fact pin 7 is where I indicated.

Cheers

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
The lighting could be such that a circle by pin one is not visible in a photo. The printing and etching manufacturers use varies so much that sometimes side light works best, or direct, or certain angles. It all circumstantial.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
If you say so. I can see which way up the text is. I've never, ever, seen an ic with the text upside down. Just saying:)

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
...The chip in your picture has no dot or notch. That means it must default to the third way of finding pin 1 - the text...
While it works in this situation, and I have not seen it any other way, the actual pin 1 marking on the chip is the bevel on the (in this orientation) bottom side of the chip. This indicates which side pin 1 is on, and Pin 1 is on the top when oriented with the bevel to the left.

Last edited:

hremus

TDI
101 AXR
After applying this mod, you must be carefull when you choose led bulbs. A low consuption led and a dirty switch, or dirty bulb socket, can keep the relay in off state. Also this could happen when one ore more led broke down. For proper start conditions a minimum lamp wattage of 1W is required. Start flashing condition are on pin 8 of chip via 1.8K resistor switch and bulbs of course.

Last edited:

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I'm still trying to find bright enough bulbs. I tried 2 different sets off amazon and they are way too dim and I sent them back. Although with the 5th brake mod, they must have drawn enough power that I never saw the GP light issue. I'm looking at the CAN BUS 26 SMD module on superbright...It's specific about not using CAN BUS bulbs in a non-CAN BUS system. All the other options are much lower lumens. Those who have great brightness, please let me know which ones you purchased!

Next i'll also have to mod my flasher relay. Just to clarify, is the pin being cut between the board and the chip, or the track sliced like I see in one of the posts?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
deAutokey, deAutokey, deAutokey, vendor here, best led service in the business, lifetime warranty on all led kits, all bulbs will not throw codes and are not cheap imitations, plus they have every led bulb for the German car following, especially VW...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i reviewed some bulbs here.

there are some very bright LED bulbs out there, and for cheaper than on superbrightleds.com

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
So I followed the steps here and popped pin 7. My turn signal flashing increased like everyone else, but my glow plug light is still flashing. Any ideas?

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Your 02 has a different bus then my 05 but, I suspect your ECU needs to see some amount of resistance to stop the flashing gp light.

Kosmatik

TDI
02 Jetta 1.8T
How are you guys getting to the top of the chip like that? I can't seem to remove the switch portion or even the white housing that's holding the PCB.

hremus

TDI
101 AXR
To identify pin 7 , another way is, to identify pin8.It connect directly to 1.8K (182) resistor.
For brake light circuit, The brake pedal switch has 2 circuit , that connects to ECU. One contact, light up the brake lamps, and the second circuit that say to ECU when pedal is not pressed, by sending a ground by bulb. When install led`s bulbs, the led diodes does not open and not send ground to ECU. ECU store in this case a brake pedal error and light up MIL. To solve this, connect a 1K@0.25W resistor in parallel with each led bulb on brake light circuit, connect VCDS, erase errors from ECU. This solve also the 3 led`s on each side on 3rd lamp. problem.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
This thread is pure gold. Should be a sticky if it isn't already. Imagine how many people have wasted money and mangled their wiring installing load resistors when all they had to do is cut a trace on a circuit board.

I have a bunch of LED bulbs on the way so I'll be needing this modification on my car.

Thanks hremus!

adamis

TDI
None
Agreed, a sticky thread should be created though I'm not certain I would use this thread but rather create a new thread that has the proper fix and what it addresses as the first posting. As it is now, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly this fix will do...

Could someone please confirm for me the following if you cut the #7 pin on the chip:

1. Will it resolve blinking glow plug light in dash?

2. Does it restore Cruise Control?

3. Does it address hyper flashing of blinkers with LED bulbs?

4. Are there any negative impacts to doing this route?

I know that numbers three and four have been addressed in this thread fairly well but I just wanted to give a chance to sum in one place all of these questions for someone like me that came into this discussion over a year later. Also, looking through the thread, it seems like a few of the pictures that had been uploaded might no longer be available, any chance that if someone makes this a sticky they can add those pictures again?

Thanks again guys!

Rob

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Anyone found a fix for the 2002?

I have a 2002 jetta tdi and my GP light is still flashing. I got the hyper flash to stop. I really don't want to have to use resistors. The get so hot...

Is there anyway to at least lower the amount for current the ecu wants to see. Could there possibly be something in VCDS?

adamis

TDI
None
I figured out what the problem was. It's not obvious from the many threads where but the issue is that you have to buy CANbus compatible LED lights and they happen to be about 3 times as expensive as the LED lights I purchased on Amazon. the CANbus lights have built in resistors that are designed to fool the ecu into correctly thinking there are not burned out lights. The LED lights I installed didn't have the resistance so the GP light would never turn off.

Now that I understand the problem it is quite obvious to me why I couldn't get the GP light to turn off. When I looked at the solution I debated between spending about $150 on light bulbs or just $5 to replace the one standard bulb that was burned out before I started down the LED path. The result of course was to pocket the $145 difference and just go back to standard bulbs for now. Sadly, I already spent about $50 on the LED bulbs from Amazon that were useless (ended up giving them to my dad for his sailboat so not a total loss). Lesson learned, if money is a factor, just replace the $5 bulb and save yourself the time and frustration...

camnicklaus

TDI
2003 GLS golf
I'm confused about a couple of things...
first of all, my enclosure looks like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7YyRUQTpLSDRWlDdjZ6T0Z4VlE/view?usp=sharing

Is it possible to get to the IC?

secondly, I currently have both low beam headlights out and one brake light (scratch that, it's a running light). Do the turn signals only speed up if a turn signal light is out? I was considering starting with LED's by replacing the low beams and brake lights to see what I thought.
I was looking at this kit: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...nversion-kit-with-radial-heat-sink/2182/4871/
from superbrightled for headlights, am I looking at the right thing?

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Sorry never noticed the notification. I had the error code tuned out with my Kerma Qloader. I already had a tune and he turned off the implausible signal code. I had to cut a trace inside the relay to get the hyper flash to stop. They are truly awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Thanks. Crap, thought there was an easier way, can't turn off my flashing glow plug light and it disables my cruise control, sigh. :(

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
just thought i would bump this. recently wanted to do LEDs in my dad's car. pin #7 is the one you want to cut. it's a pain to get at - if only it were #8!!, but with the right little dental pick or similar, it's not terribly hard.

Xenodraken

TDI
'05 Jetta GLS TDI
This is a another way to deal with that pesky pin #7. Works on flasher units as seen in post 52, and ic board configs seen in post 65. The unit that is part of the hazard switch in the center of the dash.
Likely easy to re-solder if you want to go back to regular bulbs. Flashing is a little faster then stock but way slower then the problem. Took ten minutes to do this mod, including removal time.

My car is a North American 2005 TDI Mk4. Not sure if the flasher are all the same in the same year though.

Cut the trace on the opposite side of the ic board. Pin #7 goes through beneath the IC chip, and to the small Relay. See pic for details. the IC chip is on the bottom side of the board in this pic.

https://goo.gl/photos/4nPPvNS2PoLrm8gf8

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is a another way to deal with that pesky pin #7. Works on flasher units as seen in post 52, and ic board configs seen in post 65. The unit that is part of the hazard switch in the center of the dash.
Likely easy to re-solder if you want to go back to regular bulbs. Flashing is a little faster then stock but way slower then the problem. Took ten minutes to do this mod, including removal time.

My car is a North American 2005 TDI Mk4. Not sure if the flasher are all the same in the same year though.

Cut the trace on the opposite side of the ic board. Pin #7 goes through beneath the IC chip, and to the small Relay. See pic for details. the IC chip is on the bottom side of the board in this pic.

https://goo.gl/photos/4nPPvNS2PoLrm8gf8
I have 6 switch's, time to start trying, thanks for the tip.