Broke dipstick tube

llmercll

TDI
JETTA
The dipstick tube on my 2.0L 2003 Jetta broke where it connects the lower metal pipe. I took out my dipstick and there was a small orange piece at the end of it. This has me worrying there may have been some more that fell down into the oil pan.

I've done a bit of research and most people don't think it's an issue, but some say it could clog the oil pickup screen and cause low pressure. It seems they were referring to 1.8 Turbos though, I'm not sure if the 2.0L non turbo is different.

Do you think I need to drop the pan or just get an oil change?

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Dipstick tube broke, many many many have just replaced with no known ill effects as you have researched. If you need peace of mind, go ahead and drop your pan.
When mine broke it stayed at the bottom of the oil pan . I sleep well.
Cheers

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
New dip stick tube .....

How would an oil change help? Very doubtful if anything fell into the oil pan that it would drain out. Unless the oil is strained, how would you know?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The ring that breaks off inside the steel dipstick can be picked out with a small right angle pick or screwdriver. Any parts that fall in, are't going to clog the oil pump screen. Anything small enough to get through isn't going to harm the pump.

On the other hand, we know of someone that let a large aluminum seal from a 5 liter oil jug fall into the oil fill hole as he was filling the engine with oil. The seal found it's way into the oil pan, sucked up against the oil pump pickup tube and it literally CUT OFF the oil flow. That event ruined the rod and crank bearings. After hearing that, if there is a security seal on an oil bottle, we completely remove it before pouring the oil. It only takes one mistake...

Last edited: