moparrr07

TDI
b5.5 passat
ok ill make this short and sweet, im out of options, ive searched everywhere,

05 passat tdi 176k
ballance shaft delete
franks06 camshaft kit 6k miles ago
stock otherwise

before this happened info: i ahve a snapon scan tool and that has a full vag-com system on it, injector balance, all injector were within .50 of each other in block 13, it started to have a very slight, and i mean very slight amount more smoke than norm when taking off from a stoplight

cruising at 45mph, all of a sudden got 3 or 4 kakkle misfires, let off throttle, coasted down to next stop light, running fine, take off from light, running ok, get to about 30mph and it just gos full throttle, full power , takes off to about 4500rpm where i shut the key off coast to the side of the road

towed it to my work, drain the oil, extremely diluted with fuel, about 4 gallons came out, yes 4 gallons, as in like 3 gallons of fuel and the 1 gallon of oil mix, i let it drain over night, pulled the valve cover, cam looks fine, all bolts tight, injectors all adjusted properly, i have 4 injectors out of another engine with 270k on them, bought a genuine bosch oring kit and put them in, pulled out the glow plugs and turned engine over with injectors unpluged to blow fuel out of the cylinders, re installed glow plugs, primed fuel system with key 10-15 times, cleared fault codes, dumped some fresh oil in it and a new filter,

started it up, was missing pretty bad, assuming all the air that was in the injectors, let it sit and idle for 2 minutes, started getting better, gave it some revs, alternating between 2 and 3k rpm, then after 30 seconds of that it ranaway again, this time in neutral, instant full reved the engine, pegged at 5500rpm for aobut 2 or 3 seconds, turned off the key and died instantly

i pulled glow plugs again but really no fuel came out its not like one cylinder had any more fuel than the other like one cylinder was sticking open, oil level is perfect this time, started it up and ran it for 30-45 sec, still has a miss, probly still air in the system, but definitely getting better

i have no idea where to go from here, turbo is fine, no endplay, no noise, no fault codes were in the system at all except for when i had the plugs and injectors unpluged, i have a complete 2nd car for parts so i was thinking about swapping pcms,

any help would be appreciated, oilhammer? frank06? thanks in adavnce

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Fuel in the oil means you could have an internal leak.
Check to see the tandem pump is leaking fuel. Or evidence fuel lines or injectors are leaking.

moparrr07

TDI
b5.5 passat
i was thinking the fuel in the oil was the result of the runaway, seeing how the oil level was fine until its ranaway, then basically dumped everything it had

moparrr07

TDI
b5.5 passat
ok i replaced the tandem pump with a genuine VW unit,

still have the problem that it is misfire extremely bad, wont rev over 2-3k rpm, block 13 shows 2 maxed at +3 and 2 maxed at -3

any ideas?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Sure sounds like what happened to a friend of mine when he had his B5.5 Tandem pump go bad on him.

Last edited:

moparrr07

TDI
b5.5 passat
did a compresison test but could not get to cyl 4 easily so i was lazy

anyways compression test dead cold, 30* here
were the first 3 cylinders, is that enough to make it have a misfire? obviously they are 100psi low

moparrr07

TDI
b5.5 passat
also should note, i crimped the terminals on the injector harness,

also i would think being only 100psi low as soon as boost comes in it would be lessened, its completely dead in 2 holes, wont rev over 2k rpm

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
2 and 3 are the first cylinders to ingest liquid due to the intake manifold design, which aligns with the theory that you have bent rods due to the scenario described in post #4.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As others have said:
Tandem pump seals fail
Crankcase begins to fill with fuel
Crankcase level gets high enough that unmetered fuel/oil gets ingested into CCV, then into intake
Engine runs away on above
Engine stops
Residual fuel/oil remains in intake tract/intercooler
Engine runs away again
Rods bend
Engine stops more better
Enough of fuel/oil ingests that rods get bent.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
WOW, Is there any way to see this coming for the rest of us? Maybe replace the pump at 200k? Check oil level frequently? Makes me love my VE even more!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would watch for leaks. I had my tandem pump gasket replaced. If you have alot of miles, you could consider replacing the tandem pump of course.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Checking the oil at every fuel fill helps you keep tabs on all your fluids and your alternator belt, etc. Most excellent habit to get into. I once caught a fan belt starting to shred because of my habits ingrained in me when I owned an oil chugging Saturn SL2.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
What is the Balance shaft delete? and the Camshaft kit? i'm new to the B5 much more familiar with mk4 1.9.....

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
What is the Balance shaft delete? and the Camshaft kit? i'm new to the B5 much more familiar with mk4 1.9.....
The delete is for the BSM or balance shaft module located in the oil pan on the BHW engine. The original design has two weak points - the drive chain and the hex key between the shaft weights and oil pump.

Both are fail prone and will destroy your engine quickly after they fail.

Solution is to replace with an updated design (gear driven with a larger hex key - $1400 for the part alone), or delete and replace the oil pump with one from an ALH ($350ish for parts), and deal with the slightly increased vibrations.

For other fail-prone aspects of the B5, see also transmission and camshaft.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
The delete is for the BSM or balance shaft module located in the oil pan on the BHW engine. The original design has two weak points - the drive chain and the hex key between the shaft weights and oil pump.
Both are fail prone and will destroy your engine quickly after they fail.
Solution is to replace with an updated design (gear driven with a larger hex key - $1400 for the part alone), or delete and replace the oil pump with one from an ALH ($350ish for parts), and deal with the slightly increased vibrations.
For other fail-prone aspects of the B5, see also transmission and camshaft.

Awesome thank you! ya researched the BSM but it must have been done on a 240k motor. Now to find out about the cam, looks like this car was well cared for. just had the Torque converter go out, so i'm gonna do a manual conversion..
the Cam the PD situation with the high pressure/wear? im sure i'l find out here in one min...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
...researched the BSM but it must have been done on a 240k motor.
Do not assume this. Not all fail early. Unless you have documentation that the BSM was addressed (replace or delete), you need to confirm for sure.

How did Dirty Harry say it? "Do you feel lucky, punk? Do ya?" :D