HID Kit Installation

jbrill

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I've been researching on improving my B5.5 low beam lighting over standard H7 hologen lights. Unfortunately, I had a bulb go last weekend while out in the boonies of Northern Ontario and my only quick option was to find a local Crappy Tire and I replaced with Sylvania Ultra's. Better only because the bulbs are new.
After much research, I'm leaning towards doing a HID 35W 4300-5000k swap/upgrade over doing an LED swap.
That said, the best how-to guide I could find so far (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/hid-kit-installation-and-drl-disable-b5-passat/) seems to indicate I need to disable DRL's?
Is there another option or kit that allows you to skip this step? Any recommendations on an HID kit (I'm only looking to do low beams).
Thanks, JB

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I have HIDs in mine from the retrofitsource. There stuff is good quality. Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good idea temps. I try to stay 43-4700 for best light output. I did disable DRL as I didn't want the HIDs on all the time. I wouldn't say its a requirement.

jbrill

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have HIDs in mine from the retrofitsource. There stuff is good quality. Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good idea temps. I try to stay 43-4700 for best light output. I did disable DRL as I didn't want the HIDs on all the time. I wouldn't say its a requirement.
Do you have your HIDs directly powered from the battery or did you use existing light harness?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I can tell you the W8 swap I have came with HIDs and they act as the DRLs so it must be ok. I did disable them however. Replaced one bulb in my ownership time (about 5 years and 100k km).