The New Guy Needs Help

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
So, I'm not necessarily new to the Volkswagen world, but I'm new on this forum. Having a little trouble navigating/searching around because the search function doesn't agree with my phone. My current project is my 97 1z Passat.
So here's where I need help. I've heard about running an AHU ecu on the 1z. Having trouble finding a detailed thread about it due to the search problem. A friend of mine has the ECU from my first VW, a 98 Ahu. Wondering how to make it happen.
Mechanical timing was just done today. It's evident the pump is off, taking it to my buddies house to vagcom it tomorrow. Glow plugs tomorrow, oil change tomorrow. New tires on Monday.
Anyway I'm getting off subject. Any info would be nice, also feel free to drop in with any 1z/b4 info that might be good to know

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
This particular car has an interesting history. Current mileage is unknown..the car was passed around a local VW Facebook group. Have been able to track down last known mileage. Even bought a new cluster off one of thenprevious owners of the car (after cleaning all grounds, goung throufh the cluster wiring, inspecting original cluster for solder breaks, testing alternator, replacing 109 relay, most anything that could kill the cluster). Cracking open the valve cover for timing revealed ZERO sign of wear on the cam. After back tracking through previous owners, the original cluster died at approx 185-6k and was hardly driven after! Last possible weak link (battery) was replaced today as well. Will be replugging the replacement cluster in tomorrow when put the w/p pulley back in and finish up the loose ends of the timing job. Left the waterpump for the sealant to set up.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Yes you can run a 1997 Passat with a 1998 Jetta Ecu. I did it for years on a 1996.

As far as Ecu codes go, The 1996 Passat with BK/GQ isn't 100% compatible with the 98 Jetta JB but all the other 1z/ahu Ecu in US market are.

Lenard

TDI
Thanks for the info! Just noticed you're a fellow Wisconsinite.