2015 tdi mdi/usb phone connector conversion

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I believe vw replaced the mdi connection in the mk7 in 2016 with a sub connection. I was given a mdi to iPhone 4 cord when I took delivery of the car. Curious who is just using the mdi cord or are people switching to the usb connector setup (upgrade to the revised ash tray). Since I do not have a cord currently, I do not know what functionality the mdi connection has with the infotainment center. I do know that vw offers a short mdi to USB adapter Just looking for a more simple solution than the mdi connection for my wife since she wants me to get a cord to plug her phone in, but loves to plug and unplug her charger. Concerned with the lifespan of the mdi connection. Any input experience will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I haven't been having much luck with the interface and my iPhone 6. I charge it using a cigarette lighter plugin. That works fine and the bluetooth connects to the phone just dandy to make calls with voice commands. The info system reminds me to not forget my phone every time I shut down.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I use an mdi to USB adapter in my car. The only thing it does is charge my iPhone SE, but the location it plugs into is way preferable to the 12v plug behind the shifter.

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
I purchased a used MDI to Lightning Bolt (newer IPhone) charger on Ebay for around $15.