ECU Question

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Looking to buy 2003 Wagon stock and I have a quick question regarding the ECU. I currently have 2000 sedan with few mods and I was thinking to transfer the mods on to the 2003 Wagon, however can I also swap the ECU? Will it just be plug and play or do I have to do another ECU Tune? I was thinking that I can just swap it and make the Wagon super fast and Sedan super slow. Let me know guys what you think and what would be the easiest way to do this. Mods I have on Sedan are 1019 nozzles, 11mm pump, egr delete with race pipe and of course ECU Tune.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You may already know this, but even if compatible it's not just a plug-and-play operation... both ECUs would need to be re-coded (using VCDS) to adapt to the clusters.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you dweisel. Do you know if that's the only reason? Can replace the glow plug circuit from 2000 to 2003?

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
You may already know this, but even if compatible it's not just a plug-and-play operation... both ECUs would need to be re-coded (using VCDS) to adapt to the clusters.
Thank you Vince Waldon I did knew that both ECUs would need to be re-coded by using VCDS. My main concern is the tune on the 2000 ECU will it work on 2003 once I put all my goodies on it?

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure if that's the only difference . I know I swapped a 2000 ecu into an 02 and the 02 ran terrible. Not sure why.
Maybe the 03 would run terrible as well. Looks like the best thing would be to do the tune on the 03's current ECU.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thnx everyone for the quick response. I will let you know how it goes but first thing is first, I have to get that 03 Wagon if everything works out. In case I don't get it I'll just keep enjoying my 2000 Sedan and puff some black smoke.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I do hope you are not one of those guys that "roll coal". When people do that it makes the rest of us diesel owners look bad.
I only do it in when someone is tailgating me but other than that I drive it easy. Check out my MPG's and most of the time is only city driving. :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Rolling coal means unburnt/wasted fuel. It's about as productive as smoking tires...

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Rolling coal means unburnt/wasted fuel. It's about as productive as smoking tires...
Couldn't agree with you more. I never liked burning tires on a FWD car, it just didn't feel right to me and it wasn't the same as RWD car. As far as smoke goes, some is acceptable considering the mods and tune and also mileage. Once the prices of diesel go up to like $4 I'll switch to economy tune.