Crappy Mileage

TDI_Boots

TDI
2001 VW GOLF TDI 2dr, Silver
Im awestruck.... 2001 Golf TDI... shift up at about 2300rpm... getting like 680km on a tank... im wondering why i bought this thing.... even though I love the car to death..
What could be effecting my mileage... just a couple fillups ago i would get about 850km on a tank.

Also is anyone having problems with stone chips instantly turning to rust... and even places without chips are getting rust under them... im searching the car with a magnifying glass to find all these things... there are tons (moms 2000 echo has no problems with this, stupid mexicans putting a thin paint coat)

Thanx for your input.

yumanord

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta A4 TDI
Besides being painfully racist that statement doesn't belong here. I'd say, however (being part German), it is fair to say careless Germans for not doing better QC at their Mexican Plant.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I'm curious to know how many kilometers you have on your car. There are a few "things" that happen on tdi's over time, especially w/ conservative driving habits. One of them is clogging of the intake manifold after the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. The other is a clogged snow-screen. These, unfortunately are things that stealerships often ignore. I have a feeling that your MAF may be failing. (Mass Airflow Sensor). It is a very big problem area on these cars and may even be under an extended warranty by VW. It is a device that would directly affect mileage/ performance. As for the rust-spots, I'm very surprised at your experience. My 2000 Golf made it through 3 Detroit winters w/ no rust and plenty of paint-chipping. Might this be a warranty concern? I don't know your kilometerage.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Sorry to hear about your fuel economy problems. The best thing to do for that is a thorough search on the subject. You will come up with a few major things to check out. It won't be too hard.

I'm more concerned about your casual racism. Why in the world would you blame your paint issues on "Mexicans"? Supposing your car was built in Mexico, the workers down there would be assembling the car under the process controls as dictated from Wolfsburg (back in the Motherland). Please consider retracting your statement, as you may have offended someone on the site.

My brother works for a US automaker supplier. He has visited the plants south of the border on many occasions and has often remarked on the impressive general work ethic displayed by those people. In general, most people down there are grateful to have any job- let alone a major automaker. There are some indifferent auto workers in Detroit and Windsor- as well as some very motivated ones too. This applies also in Mexico.

Pardon the pun, but you shouldn't paint with such a broad
brush.

-tom

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Last I heard they were on strike
Vacation is about over, they'll be going back to work soon.

By the way, the Brazilians put together my Golf, and did a damn fine job.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Gotta love thos Marca Bavaria commercials, makes me proud to say my car was made in Brazil.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Quote:>>Let's keep nationality driven racisim pointed towards Americans only please.<<

You do realize that Mexicans and Brazilians are American as well, yes?

TDI_Boots

TDI
2001 VW GOLF TDI 2dr, Silver
I will retract that derogatory comment towards our southern neighbours... but what I wont do is ignore my disconcert for German cars being built in Mexico; but my anger is with VW.

Anyhow... this MAF sensor thing... would it be solved if i cleaned out my MAF or would i need to change the sensor?

I would like any tips...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks for the retraction.
I hope you can take care of the stone chips before they really rust badly.

About the MAF- you have only reported that your fuel economy has dropped, no drivability problems. When my MAF failed, it felt like there were a couple of dead spots at certain rpms in the upper gears. I think you would have more symptoms than a drop in fuel economy if the MAF was going.

The first thing I would suggest is to look at the air intake for blockage- specifically the snow screen and the condition of your air filter. Do you know when it was last changed? You also should check your tire pressure, although it seems like you would notice if it was low enough to affect the fuel economy that drastically.

Good luck
-tom