EGR & ASV delete.

Max Mullineaux

TDI
Golf
TDI Newbie question.
My 2003 ALH needs an Intake Manifold/EGR/ASV cleaning. If I elect to delete both the EGR and ASV will this result in a no start or just a CEL? I understand the possible shudder/runaway considerations.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If done correctly, it will start and run fine. very well might throw a CEL, which some handle with a chip tune.
I honestly don't see why you would want to remove those things. Leave the plumbing as is and just dial back the EGR rate. With the newer fuels, we're not seeing as much intake clogging.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I bought my car like that from a guru. It works great. He told me set it off with software. It does shutter slightly as I'm slowing down which concerns me.

Last edited:

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
more r less hahah I always hate that, I get it tho.

in regards to OP.

I got my car recently from a guy who use to own a shop and was a vendor somewhere for TDI related stuff. I know he was also putting the ALH into yota's. I believe his wife also knows her **** :) and loves to drive the TDI cars. They were legit.

At any rate, he knows his ****, guru, if you will, and my car came with EGR delete and block plates, VLCDS adjusted by him. runs great! Im afraid to do anything to it! injectors remap cuz who knows.

Any way, it also has no ASV which I still cringe at, but he said hes never seen one run away. That said, it does happen and its thre as a safety feature, which I much appreciate the "what the h311 happens if" scenario. Im probably gonna get a large bathroom town and a pair of plyers to leave under the hood just incase! So I can maybe save my engine, "just in case"

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I just ordered an unlimited vcds cable. Im gonna look to get the shutter gone. It annoys me as I do a fair bit of coasting toward red lights. This is when the shutter is most notable. ..

mad mullineaux did you delete the asv and egr? or considering it still?

you can check out my setup. ITs pretty simple. Could even scan with vcds and get basic idea of where to start for settings.