Solve an arguement for me...Please

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Like the title says……
I got into a disagreement with my father-in-law over off-road/red diesel. He uses it is his farm equipment and also some diesel heaters. Anyway, I say that all red/off-road diesel is ULSD just like the on-road stuff, just has a red dye added to it. He says it is high sulfur diesel.
My argument is that they would have to have separate supply systems (piping, trucks, etc ) if this was true to ensure a truck that just carried high sulfur was not used to carry ULSD (cross-contamination of fuel) and so forth. Basically the cost and the logistics of keeping them separate would not be worth it and it is simply easier to make all diesel ULSD regardless if it is dyed or not.
Can anyone help solve this issue once and for all.

Thanks,

Glenn

cheefpilot

TDI
2013 JSW
The red Diesel is ULSD where I live. I haven't seen any of the good old stuff for quite some time.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Off-Road Diesel is the same ULSD as Highway Diesel. the only difference is the tax applied to it (or not applied to it in the case of the red stuff)

There may be a few small boutique producers of regular diesel or LSD still, but chances are pretty slim.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It is quite possible that the stuff in your father in laws storage tanks is mostly LSD. It takes a while to clear out if you never run the tanks low.

That said, MOST of the stuff delivered NATIONWIDE to farmers should be ULSD by now. There may be some pockets that are not as there was a lot of LSD in storage and it cannot be sold for road fuel anymore.

Even if he is wrong about this issue, make sure you listen to him about the important stuff... he probably has a long history of being right about those.

Bill

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Even if he is wrong about this issue, make sure you listen to him about the important stuff... he probably has a long history of being right about those.

Bill
^^^I like this :)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
According to cleandiesel.org, it depends on whether you get your fuel from "Large Refiners & Importers" or "Small Refiners & Other Exceptions". The former were required to be <15ppm sulfur as of 2010, while the latter is required to be at ULSD levels in 2014.

The exception is California, where all diesel has been required to be ULSD since 2007.

edit: WutGas beat me to it.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
A couple years ago I asked a manager at the local fuel depot this very question: He said all the fuel comes in the same, and it is dyed at the terminal. All of it is low sulphur.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A couple years ago I asked a manager at the local fuel depot this very question: He said all the fuel comes in the same, and it is dyed at the terminal. All of it is ULSD (<15 ppm).
corrected for you ;)

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG

Bill
^^^I like this :)
It's a nice sentiment and I hope that it's true about Glenn's father-in-law. In my case it certainly is NOT true. My father-in-law is one of the dumbest people that I know, his own daughter will tell you the same thing.

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Like the title says……
I got into a disagreement with my father-in-law ...

Can anyone help solve this issue once and for all.

Thanks,

Glenn
You will thank me forever for the advice I am going to give you.

Your father-in-law is right, even when he is wrong. If he is not, you will pay for it over many years of family dinners and special occasions.

If it was me, I would respond by saying something like "Well I'm not so sure about that one...". Do you really have to win this battle so badly?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Geodug is probably right. Winning the war is far more important than winning any particular battle. The war is keeping your wife happy not what your Father-in-law thinks of you or your opinions. Half of success in life is carefully picking your battles. Wasting time fighting over unimportant things is mostly useless.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... Half of success in life is carefully picking your battles. Wasting time fighting over unimportant things mostly useless.

Have Fun!

Don
Another nugget of wisdom in this thread! Although we do spend lots of time arguing over silly things on tdiclub :eek:

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Thanks folks. Glad to know I am most likely correct on this. Also, I guess I should have said it was a disagreement, not an argument. My Father-in-law and I get along great.....ever since on my wedding day he told me "I'm happy you are you are marrying my little girl, but if you hurt her remember I own 300 acres, a backhoe, and 500 lbs of lime...."

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It's a nice sentiment and I hope that it's true about Glenn's father-in-law. In my case it certainly is NOT true. My father-in-law is one of the dumbest people that I know, his own daughter will tell you the same thing.

Hmm. Assuming your wife is his natural daughter.. your kids carry 1/4 of his genes. This is why you always want to meet the parents, the grandparents and especially the relatives nobody talks about....

It will all work out for the best, though! :)

Bill

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Hmm. Assuming your wife is his natural daughter.. your kids carry 1/4 of his genes. This is why you always want to meet the parents, the grandparents and especially the relatives nobody talks about....

It will all work out for the best, though! :)

Bill
It's working out just fine so far. We've been married for 35 years and both of my sons are doing fine. It seems that my good genes have overridden the bad. :D

When my wife and I first met, I wasn’t concerned about meeting her parents I just wanted to get into her pants.

heuiinj

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
One other point here is that refiners are in the final retrofitting for ULSD in off road applications and the cost of that is spread directly to us in higher pump prices as we see now.