2001 Tail Lights Out - Not fuse, Not Bulbs

DAH

2001 TDI -- Tail lights are out, brake and turn signals work fine.

I've searched the forum. Others have had the problem but I can't find how they fixed the problem. It's not bulbs, fuses, wiring, bulb holders, etc.

Could it be the brake switch and if so how do the tail lights get wired through the switch so they don't work but brake lights work?

Second -- Could it be a control module?

Help -- Already got one repair warning.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
At one point I had a cheapie used euro-switch installed that did that. Half the parking lights worked, the other half didn't. I popped the original switch back in to confirm and ordered a better one.

If you're close to the NY border, I have the original you can use to test.

DAH

Thanks Gforce but I'm SouthCentral Pa.

So you've found that the brake switch is more than just a switch that makes/breaks with the brake pedal?

In your opinion is that whee my problem lies? Can I jumper around it to test or are there electronics involved?

Thanks DAH

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
If your brake lights are working and not your tail (parking) lights, it should have nothing to do with you brake switch (brake and parking are different bulbs).

I don't have a wiring diagram for the headlight switch with me, but you could probably jump it out. If I didn't have a spare switch to swap in, I'd ohm out the switch to make sure it's making contact (would still need the diagram).

If you are sure your bulbs and fuses are good, that's what I'd go for. Got anyone near you to swap with to test?

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
Prob'ly a dumb question, but how are you sure the bulbs are OK? Is it possible one bulb burned out, then the second went... and then the fuzz took notice....??

Did you remove and test both bulbs? If so, did you pull the entire [Jetta] trunk liner to gain access to the tail lamp assembly... I just posted on this subject.

rsvRidr

TDI
jetta,01,silver
DAH said:
2001 TDI -- Tail lights are out, brake and turn signals work fine.

I've searched the forum. Others have had the problem but I can't find how they fixed the problem. It's not bulbs, fuses, wiring, bulb holders, etc.

Could it be the brake switch and if so how do the tail lights get wired through the switch so they don't work but brake lights work?

Second -- Could it be a control module?

Help -- Already got one repair warning.
Were you able to find the problem. My 01 jetta is having the same issues. The brake lights/hazzards and turn signals work fine, but the tail lights will not turn on. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I have my right tail light that every once in a while will go out. I have figured it is a grounding or contact issue as I can smack the tail light and it will start working again. I think they get corroded easily.

rsvRidr

TDI
jetta,01,silver
79TA7.6 said:
I have my right tail light that every once in a while will go out. I have figured it is a grounding or contact issue as I can smack the tail light and it will start working again. I think they get corroded easily.
Get ready because thats exactly how mine started. I have pulled both assemblies and they appear very clean,with no signs of corrosion. I have also checked for power at the connection to the assembly, getting none for the wires for the tail lghts. All others (brake/turn signals) have power.
Checked fuses for the parking/tail lights #22-#23 and they checked out good.

Theodigital

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,

Same problem here, all lights work except tail lights.

I've swapped bulbs around, and I know it's not the fuse as the tail lights share the fuse with the brake lights that work fine.

Any suggestions?

Bio Jetta

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Me to

I'm having a similar issue with my right rear tail light - not brake lights or turn signals. Also, the lights in my factory guages decided to join in on the fun of frusterating me. I have no blown fuses, and am struggling to figure it out. VAGCOM finds no error codes. I did get a wierd symptom before it happened. When I turned on the headlights, the right turn signal indicator stayed on. After cycling the switch off and on a couple times the right turn indicator went off and so did my guage lights. Any ideas?

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
You are mentioning the tail lights. Each side shares a fuse/circuit with the sidemarker lights on the front fenders. Are those lights coming on when you turn the lights on? If both the tail and sidemarker lights are off and you have verified the involved bulbs and fuses, I think post 2 is saying the light switch is a possible culprit.

Ryan_m83

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
well turns out I got lucky. Changed the bulbs and they worked again. Weird how both went at the same time, I know last week they both were working. One did look blown, the other looked new. Either way problem solved. Anyone having this problem change the bulbs regardless if they look good or not.

sguymon

TDI
99 new beetle
99 vw no tail lights fix.

I have the same problem. No tail lights but the brake lights work fine and it is not the bulbs. This is my redneck fix. Pull out the hazard switch. On the wires coming it to the back there is a grey wire on the corner. Add a wire to the grey one. Then run that wire to he very back to the tail light on the left side. Pull out the tail light on the left side and the wires going to the bulb that runs the tail light. It is the grey one with a black stripe. Connect the wire. Add the wire (do not cut it). Then when you turn the lights on both brake lights and the markers should work. Good luck.

tristan21

TDI
01 Jetta 02 Jetta Wagon (dead/rolled)
Same problems (all lights work, including brake lights but both tail lights fail to light up) Any solution?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Same problems (all lights work, including brake lights but both tail lights fail to light up) Any solution?
You didn't mention if the license plate light works.
If you have the manual with wiring diagrams you should trace the power feed backwards to where power is supplied.
W/O the manual you have to trace the wiring harness backward to the front.
If the stop and backup lights work correctly (at the same time) I would think its not a bad ground.

Rich W.

Aridzonan

TDI
2001 GOLF
I have a similar problem. I started to blow brake light fuses on my 2001 TDI Golf. Whre the Glow Plug light started flashing.. Changed the brake switch.. No change. Still blowing fuses. The cable connectors to the brake lights show no signs of damage and the brake fixtures have zero signs of heat / corrosion damage. Hints for a good place to start?? Thanks..

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have a similar problem. I started to blow brake light fuses on my 2001 TDI Golf. Whre the Glow Plug light started flashing.. Changed the brake switch.. No change. Still blowing fuses. The cable connectors to the brake lights show no signs of damage and the brake fixtures have zero signs of heat / corrosion damage. Hints for a good place to start?? Thanks..
Hatch wiring issue. Been there, done that.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=281443

kaneelschep

TDI
ex-66kw passat, ex-132kw a6. Audi a4 b5.5 tdi 85kw
So did anyone get to fix this?
My rear lights went out too. Including the running lights in tne front. So basicly everything on fuse 22 and 23. Also the dashboard has no light and the green symbol for lights doesnt come on in the dash. Plus no warning buzzer for lights on reminder.

Everything else works like normal.

I measure no power on fuse 22 and 23.

Someone mentioned light switch.
Anyone try that?
And how to check?

Thanks!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten

Anyone try that?
And how to check?

Thanks!
Assuming yours is the same as mine:
Both fuses get power from the headlight switch.
Also fuses 3 and 4. Interior light & license plate lights (resp)

To pull the headlight switch out turn it on, push it in, then turn it a bit farther (iIrc)
A bit of wiggling & it should pop out.

Pin 15 on the switch should have power. Not exactly clear but it looks like it gets power at the load reduction relay then to a 110 amp fuse over the battery.

Hope this helps.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So did anyone get to fix this?
My rear lights went out too. Including the running lights in tne front. So basicly everything on fuse 22 and 23. Also the dashboard has no light and the green symbol for lights doesnt come on in the dash. Plus no warning buzzer for lights on reminder.

Everything else works like normal.

Anyone try that?
And how to check?

Thanks!
If the dimmer switch on the dash becomes disconnected it does the same symptoms. Check the wiring there.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The info in this thread doesn’t help with your car. “A4” in this case is in reference to the Vw mkiv chassis, not the Audi A4. Very different animal!
Ten-four! :D