Thoughts on Buying 01 Audi AR 6MT TDI 2.0L

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
Hey There,,! 1st post here ! Just wanted your thoughts ,, i'm about to look at a converted 01 Audi AR 6MT -with 05 Passat TDI 2.0L ,, 180,000KM -about 100k Miles , not sure on the body mileage or which engine was previously in the AR,,i have more knowledge on Subarus ,, my last diesel was a 86 jetta Diesel 1.6..If for some reason it is a gas ratio tranny ,, is it a big deal ?? and or i could go to slightly taller tires . The conversion was down by a Garage repair shop , they do various services to many Brands. Also if the vehicle is in very good condition what would be a ball park value ,, the timing belt done 30K and clutch 20k miles ago ,,air suspension is not leaking , it also has a Tune Stage 1,, i'm in Canada so the price would likely be higher in Canadian Value. Thks for any input.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Hard to judge value. If the swap was done properly it would be worth more than one that screams at 70mph with a gasser transmission.

Ive yet to see a swapped ar for sale. A properly done/deleted 5speed b5.5 has a hard time selling for over 4k. The ar would be a step up but how much would depend on buyer.

You have some 5 to 7k in parts alone plus the ar
Shell...but it's hard to make money off most swap projects and many times impossible to even get your money back.

Id say anything less than 5k is a steal...if properly done less than 7k is a steal.

FrankenAudi

TDI
Pickle Rick ,,thanks for your your overview of a Converted Audi ,, Because i'm in Canada it might be higher then your guesstimate ,, but i understand ,, This is converted by an Audi/VW Mechanic with a shop,, i met him today very nice guy with an good reputation for honesty,, quite rare,, The Audi is a bit dirty , but i already new that ,the guy is busy ,, and i know how to do car detailing ,, there are a few small things missing but he has the parts,, also need a fuel senor ,,, he is certifying and emission testing the vehicle,,there was a small noise, he explained it ,, it didn't concern mean ,, But the feeling i got is he is still doesn't want to divorce his Franken Baby ,, If he doesn't it was a waste of time gas and the $20. to get a Used vehicle report on the Audi. My paranoid side wants to say something he might be playing me for a higher bidder???? Will update.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Ask what flywheel he's using. Many use a cheaper single mass flywheel to save on the install cost. The fact he didn't go for the stage 2 tune also concerns me. Even the very costly 30lbs Witbread flywheel(im using) was designed for using with 5 and 6 speed swaps has left many 6 speed swapped guys with chattering...so i guess the moral of the story is, the bhw already had an undersized clutch disk, so a very grippy heavy duty clutch must be used. The AR is heavy compared to the passat wagons so it will have that much more strain on the clutch.

So find out what clutch and flywheel are being used. A good set will put you back around 700 to 1000 bucks. The clutch and flywheel sets for these, ones thay wont eat your 6 speeds innards and wont slip when passing on the freeway, are not cheap

FrankenAudi

TDI
He has had the Audi for 9 years and 85k miles ,some towing a small boat,, to cottage , i wanted to ask him those questions about clutch and fly wheel , but i forgot, his add said the clutch was done 12k miles ago , timing belt 18k miles ago, i think the conversion was done 5 years ago. If he doesn't call be tonight, i don't he is selling it,, 1 reason is he said he has to ask his wife ,,,,Ya right !! They already bought a New Audi Q7 ,, and she doesn't like the color ,Ha,, and she doesn't like shifting a gear box , so figure ,, i really hate dealing with people i prefer animals,, and i always said if you want to get something done do it yourself,, so i may have to do a conversion myself which may be a costly time consuming venture . Will update.