True or False (CEL/MAF)

Dan_Powell

TDI
2000 Jetta
I have read on the many MAF threads here that once you re-connect your MAF, the CEL should go off after a few key cycles. Is that true? I replaced my MAF last week and after about 20 key cycles, the CEL still comes on and the MAF code is still there. Do I need to clear it, or should it go off soon? If I had VAG-COM, I wouldn't need to ask this question.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
In theory, if the problem that triggered the CEL is gone, it will remain in the buffer for a while, but will eventually be pushed out. Most people say that after about 12 cycles or so, if the problem really is cleared, the light should go off.

You might want to turn the car off, then unplug and re-plug the MAF connector a time or so. The contacts can sometimes get a bit oxidized, and you may have a poor contact, which plugging/unplugging a couple of times might help.

Of course, it would be a good idea to locate someone near you with a VAG-Com (see the VAG-Com list at the top of the page), and have them check and clear your codes.

Keith

Dan_Powell

TDI
2000 Jetta
I think the MAF is getting a good connection, since the performance I was missing is now back. I had forgotten how much fun this car could be! Anyway, I will tinker with it this evening after work, but I expect that I should break down and get the $30 cable that will allow the shareware version of VAG to work.