Repurpose adblue tank into 3.8gal aux. fuel tank for more range

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
After reading how the fuel tank shrink due to the Adblue system in the 2015 Jetta TDI, it got me thinking... How can the 3.8gal Adblue tank repurposed (if a tune and adblue delete was done) to suppliment the 14.5gal main fuel tank? Would any of these work? -gravity feed and both tanks interconnected (if adblue tank is mounted higher than fuel tank) or -interconnect just the top of the adblue refill connector to the nearby diesel fill neck. Then connect a hose and some sort of an electric pump. or, -does the gas Jetta tank have a higher capacity due to a different shape, that might fit into a TDI as long as the adblue system was removed?

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
At the level of modification you're thinking about, I think it'd be a lot easier to just mount a fuel cell in the trunk.

Anything is possible, and I'm sure you could do it if you wanted to, but I don't think it would be worth it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think it's worth the hassle either. Would probably result in the interior smelling of diesel fuel.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
After reading how the fuel tank shrink due to the Adblue system in the 2015 Jetta TDI, it got me thinking... How can the 3.8gal Adblue tank repurposed (if a tune and adblue delete was done) to suppliment the 14.5gal main fuel tank? Would any of these work? -gravity feed and both tanks interconnected (if adblue tank is mounted higher than fuel tank) or -interconnect just the top of the adblue refill connector to the nearby diesel fill neck. Then connect a hose and some sort of an electric pump. or, -does the gas Jetta tank have a higher capacity due to a different shape, that might fit into a TDI as long as the adblue system was removed?
Are you sure the 2015 tank is smaller? I just fueled up at my favorite station with the display showing I had 20 miles left. I put in 14.53 gallons. Specs for the 2015 list a 14.5 gallon tank, same as my 2011 was. So tank is the same.
Where I found a difference was when I went to swap the frame mounted trailer (bike rack) hitch. The AdBlue tank hangs down, totally blocking the right side of the frame.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Tank Size

The 2015 Jetta tank and the 2009 Jetta tank are the same size. Only the Golf TDI has the shrunken fuel tank.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ditch using the adblue tank for fuel and toss meth in it, if you are cool with tuning mind as well spend the money and get more performance!!!!

Also it'd be a pain to toss the fuel in the trunk with quite a bit of leaking.

If it was 10 gal, then I think it'd be worth it. Take a look at that greasecar spare tire tank, if you really want to cross that 1000-1200 miles before fill up line

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My '79 Rabbit I had purchased in the late '80s had an auxiliary diesel tank in the spare tire well. It was a common thing back then when the car was new. I bought the car from the original owner, and he had it installed when the car was new. I forget the name on it, but it was a pretty nicely built piece. Had a spare tire anchor made on top of it and everything. I think it was about 5 gallons, and the car only had an 11 gal tank if I remember correctly. It had a little electric transfer pump that was operated by a switch under the dash. When the main tank got low, you just flipped the switch and you had a half tank again in a few minutes. :D