2000 jetta tdi won't move when in gear

Dan_cross

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just lowered my car yesterday and today I was driving and I went around a turn with a bump, I didn't bottom out it anything but after that i tried accelerating while in 3rd gear and it wouldn't accelerate. Same thing in all the other gears, I could rev the rpms up but the car wouldn't accelerate. When I try and go I can hear some sort of rattling. Currently getting car towed home I didn't scan the car yet with vagcom. Any suggestions of what it could be?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Seriously, I don't understand why people do something so retarded as lowering their car................

If the problem is related to axle damage caused by lowering, VCDS will not tell you anything.

Last edited:

Dan_cross

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yeah I looked at it when it was on the trailor. The axle popped out. Thanks for the help I was worried the tranny might of had problems

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I gather you don't have a skidplate.
If you're going to keep the car lowered you need one, especially if you plan to drive it (ever) in PA.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What would a skidplate do? It certainly would not protect from damage to the axles caused from lowering the ride height.

It just amazes me the level of retardation that is involved when people decide to lower their cars.

Let's see: take a car that handles and drives really great and cripple the drivability by lowering it. Makes no sense..............

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
We really shouldn't judge want other people do to their car.
Its their property and they paid for it.
But I will say that any suspension modification needs to be carefully planed and not based upon what one may read on the internet or hawked by someone else.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
There's also lowering and LOWERING, I myself am down 30mm and love it on the eibach springs but I know a lot of people like the slammed look which can cause headaches but as said, each to their own.

I don't think it's right to call them retarded just because you don't like it, that's just wrong.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
What would a skidplate do? It certainly would not protect from damage to the axles caused from lowering the ride height.
I didn't say it would. If he looked at it on the trailer and saw the axle popped out, that tells me he probably doesn't have a skidplate.

I was referring to the fact that roads in Pennsylvania are notoriously bad. Risky to drive a lowered car on these poor roads, especially one with a fragile and exposed oil pan.

Dan_cross

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yeah PA roads are bad and I planned on grabbing a skid plate at Harry's. But I saw the axle through the wheel well. A main reason the axle broke is because it was turned almost fully and hit a bump. I ordered a new axle and new control arm bushings from germanautoparts.com so then ill put everything back on and get a wheel alignment.