2011 HPFP Failure - Fuel System Replaced Under Warranty

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
bummer man...so far i'm using BP Prem diesel with opti-lube. We'll see if this HPFP issue keeps on occuring, if it does, i may have to switch to Geico and do their vehicle protection plan...you gotta do it before 15K tho.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
color me shocked that a system that hasn't been changed is still failing!

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
Your '11 failed before your '10? Or did you trade up?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
It would seem that Bosch sporadically is producing substandard HPFPs or there is undetected fuel contamination, or both. It's hard to explain the fact that there are increasing numbers of '09s with over 100K miles at this point with no problems, but new TDIs continue to surface with failed HPFPs with very low mileage. I'd love to be able to hear the conversations at corporate regarding HPFP failures at this point. One would think they'd be hitting the roof knowing they haven't fixed the problem in 3 years. It would be interesting to have an update on the percentage of failures in the US compared to Europe as of Oct. '11. I'm glad the OP had a quick turn around with his HPFP.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
still think its just luck of the draw fuel quality....nothing more nothing less....does not seem to matter that much with year or model....get a bad batch...adios pump

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
still think its just luck of the draw fuel quality....nothing more nothing less....does not seem to matter that much with year or model....get a bad batch...adios pump
Don't forget moon phases. Another huge but overlooked possibility.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and recent bigfoot sightings

lcjjm4

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
hpfp failure corporate does nothing beyond warranty

My 2010 vw jetta tdi with 30,000 miles died. The dealer stated the hpfp failed an it was covered under the warranty for another 12,000 miles.

I spoke with corporate and told them the car just died, no warning it lost power steering,brakes a real safety issue.

VW could not give me a answer if they would pay for the repairs if it should fail a 2nd time outside the warranty. VW knows there is a flaw with the fuel system an I am also calling the
nhtsa.

Lenny from wild rose motors that is temp banned from this site told me there are a number of VW owners with a second fuel pump failure.

I work at ABC network an I spoke with Chris Cuomo at 20/20 he forwarded me to Gerry Wagschal a producer at 20/20 call him (212) 456 3948 he is compiling data on this VW high pressure fuel pump mess.

I am selling my VW an buying a more reputable car.

jkowalski

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 6MT
Media coverage, the possibility of a class action lawsuit (demanding a vastly extended warranty, as well as reimbursement of money paid out of pocket from victims that this happened to out of warranty), or even just individual lawsuits, might help bump VW/Bosch into either fixing the problem, or at least admitting there is a problem and doing the right thing for customers.
Of course, I'm sure their bean-counters are well aware there is a problem.

While the failure rate might be statistically low, there has been more actions on less impact before. (Think - Toyota gas pedal recalls? The difference is, brakes CAN still stop the vehicle even if the engine was to be revving at full speed. But once the HPFP goes out, you're done)

There is sufficient evidence that they know this would be an issue. Even Bosch's own slides have shown they KNOW that fuel lubricity in the US does not meet even their own recommended levels. They KNOW that product is being put in US cars.
If you know you're putting out a product that is crap... what leg do you have to stand on?

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
It would seem that Bosch sporadically is producing substandard HPFPs or there is undetected fuel contamination, or both. It's hard to explain the fact that there are increasing numbers of '09s with over 100K miles at this point with no problems, but new TDIs continue to surface with failed HPFPs with very low mileage. I'd love to be able to hear the conversations at corporate regarding HPFP failures at this point. One would think they'd be hitting the roof knowing they haven't fixed the problem in 3 years. It would be interesting to have an update on the percentage of failures in the US compared to Europe as of Oct. '11. I'm glad the OP had a quick turn around with his HPFP.
The video I linked a while back would indicate that VW is more pissed at the fact that Hyundai engineers can design a Tilt column lever that doesn't rattle and VW engineers can't ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just think of the sales plunge if 20/20 really really dug into the huge paper trail thats formed with this. They don't even need to prove the cause or point a finger, just that there's an issue that costs $6K to fix on a new car that can't be prevented nor shows any sign of failure.

my only thought is that "auto manufatures recalls" have kinda been beat to death on the media and the network might not think it could grab enough attention to the mass public for them to do the research.

Highline Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline Sedan
Not trying to defend VW but it seems like most problems are in the US. If your fuel lubricity standards aren't as high as the rest of the world, why not?

I haven't had a power loss in this vehicle but others that I have driven in do, when power fails, allow you to steer and brake. Just with more effort.

lcjjm4

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
vw respnsible

VW must take blame an they should go after bosch for a bad fuel pump. It is not practical for a individual to add a addative in order for the fuel pump to have proper lubricant.

Merceded does not have issues with there diesel. i would rather have a Benz with a 100,00 miles then a new jetta tdi Lemon

If VW had Ba.. they would go after bosch to do over the fuel pump an recall all tdi, beacuase you know dam well the oil companies are not going to increase the lubricity of there diesel fuel for VW.

File your complaints for tdi hpfp failures with,

ABC Show 20/20 contact is Gerry Wagschal direct @ 212 456 3948

Some customers have had more then one hpfp failure.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Not trying to defend VW but it seems like most problems are in the US. If your fuel lubricity standards aren't as high as the rest of the world, why not?

I haven't had a power loss in this vehicle but others that I have driven in do, when power fails, allow you to steer and brake. Just with more effort.
Why does our fuel standard matter at all? VW knew our standard, outfitted the car with a pump not designed for the standard. So basically there is no defending VW. Its not like the US surprised them with lower quality fuel, they knew it well ahead of time

Have you had a power loss on a freeway? Steering doesn't help when you have no power to get over.

Highline Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline Sedan
Why does our fuel standard matter at all? VW knew our standard, outfitted the car with a pump not designed for the standard. So basically there is no defending VW. Its not like the US surprised them with lower quality fuel, they knew it well ahead of time
True, they weren't surprised. But they might be perplexed. But I guess my point is that from the outside looking in the US is generally seen as a high quality supplier of anything they bring to market. That, coupled with the higher cost of diesel in your country compared to gasoline, seams worth looking into. I don't know what is involved but I don't think it would be beyond the means of the suppliers to ensure a uniform quality of fuel, whether its diesel or gasoline.

I know it isn't going to change a thing for those who have experienced failures but if lubricity really is the issue then there must be some diesel suppliers in the US meeting these requirements or there would be a much higher frequency of failure. I am sure that this is being looked at by all parties involved but until the results are in hand I don't think you are going to see any of VW, Bosch or any Oil Co. admit liability to anything. It could very well be, for example, that Bosch has adjusted the pump to account for the lower lubricity standard and some suppliers are just failing to meet even the lowest of standards.

Have you had a power loss on a freeway? Steering doesn't help when you have no power to get over.
And yes I have lost power on the freeway. As soon as I noticed the lack of power I used the remaining momentum to pull over to the curb. Of course everyone's situation will vary. If you are stuck in bad traffic and weren't moving anyway you would have trouble, or if you are on one of those 4 (or more) lane freeways it wouldn't be easy but cars break down all the time for all sorts of reasons (even just running out of gas) and most make it to the side of the road. I see them there way more often than parked in the middle of it somewhere.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Maybe it is the Stanadyne causing the issue, bad batch of Stanadyne dramatically decreased the lubricity. Who has been checking on the quality of these additives? No one.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
^ also a great point. If we are going to point finger at anybody, everybody should get a turn. What about the hose makers? Think about how much fuel runs through rubber hose. If the rubber is defective it could be contaminating every ounce of fuel. The possibilities are endless, why should VW get the blame?

jasonh

^ also a great point. If we are going to point finger at anybody, everybody should get a turn. What about the hose makers? Think about how much fuel runs through rubber hose. If the rubber is defective it could be contaminating every ounce of fuel. The possibilities are endless, why should VW get the blame?
+1. Why should vw get the blame? They only design and test their vehicles.

speedeep

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition DSG, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Maybe it is [... a] bad batch of Stanadyne dramatically decreased the lubricity. Who has been checking on the quality of these additives? No one.
Entirely possible, but I've been using the same batch of Stanadyne Lubricity in both of my CJAA-engined TDIs. The newer one (which has had 24 fill-ups, all with Stanadyne Lubricity) failed, while the slightly older TDI (now on 47 fill-ups, 35 with Stanadyne Lubricity) hasn't failed yet. Both are driven ~90% highway commuting.

I buy Stanadye by the case of 16 ounce bottles from TheDieselStore.com (aka mwfi.com) and both cars have been taking alternating sips from the same case.

Stanadyne is also a manufacturer of common-rail high-pressure fuel pumps, injectors, as well as diesel additives. (room for a conspiracy here? ;-) ) Volkswagen has specifically approved Stanadyne for use in their TDI engines.

1TDI4Me

TDI
'01 Jetta (sold, but missed) '12 Jetta TDI 6sp Malone and Rawtech, '13 Golf DSG (SOLD!)
Because our polution standards are geared to maximize air quality and undermine economic competitiveness, not in that order.

speedeep

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition DSG, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Glad they covered it. Did they ever ask you if you run additives?
They didn't ask, I volunteered. Nobody seemed to care. There's been some discussion indicating that VW likely can't easily detect consumer-added additives in the fuel sample from producer-added additives, so... They are looking for gasoline and water in the sample, though.

They also didn't ask about bio-diesel (the failed car has not run any bio-diesel, the non-failed car has run one tank of B5.) It's very difficult to get biodiesel in central Alabama. The nearest commercial pump is 70 miles away and I don't feel like messing with hobbiest (no offence intended) BD in my daily drivers.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
Just think of the sales plunge if 20/20 really really dug into the huge paper trail thats formed with this. They don't even need to prove the cause or point a finger, just that there's an issue that costs $6K to fix on a new car that can't be prevented nor shows any sign of failure.

my only thought is that "auto manufatures recalls" have kinda been beat to death on the media and the network might not think it could grab enough attention to the mass public for them to do the research.
+1

20/20 could just report on the cost factor alone and make it a 'huge crime'.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned often but VW is in very big trouble as they have documented their pumps inability to handle a mis-fuel.

Last edited:

emdeeaitch

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Volkswagen has specifically approved Stanadyne for use in their TDI engines.
Can you point to where they did that? I thought they had always backed away from recommending any particular additive. It would be good to see they were bothering to get into this.