Jetta TDI clunk from stand still

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Hey guys,
Got this new to me mk6 TDI. No, it's not going in for the buy back, she's a Copart rescue :) Anyway, I've developed a clunk that I notice when I pull away from dead stop. It's especially prevalent under hard acceleration, like when pulling up a hill. I don't hear it when accelerating while I'm already under way. What are the common suspension/mount gremlins on these MK6 bodies?

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
A few things come to mind
1) Subframe shifting
2) Dog-bone mount worn or loose
3) Engine or Transmission Mount Worn or loose
4) Control Arm Bushings worn

My subframe makes an awful clunk, that alternates between hard braking and accelerating. I would buy or make subframe inserts... but buyback.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Buyback? BLASPHEMY! But really, it might have been a really good deal, but this was a Copart salvage. I got it for a steal. Just had to repair a bit of body work. But now the front looks like a GLI :D

Yea, I figured it was one of those things, but I was wondering if there cars had some common issue that I should investigate first. Often, it's hard to pinpoint a bad rubber part until it's REALLY bad. It's not quite that bad YET.

On my MK4, I learned that the OE motor mounts are way better than aftermarket. After 20k miles on mounts I got from IDParts, I put the old ones. They were tighter after 189k miles than the 20k mile aftermarkets... Urethane bushings or OEM for me.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Well, I thought it was a bad dog-bone mount. Bought that HPA puck and man, what a POS that thing is!! Why would anyone ever install one of these?! I'm taking mine back off and putting back the OEM. The car shakes and vibrates like when you forget to pull it out of gear and coming to a stop. You can even feel it while you're driving. Feels like a cheap POS, shakier than my old worn out MK4! There is no way this is better than oem. Worst part, the clunk is still there. Seems like it's coming from the left side of the suspension. I'm going to investigate the A-arms and sway links next.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Well, it's not the A-arms or dog-bone mount. BTW, don't install the HPA mount. It made my car shudder horribly. I'll be buying an OEM mount to put back in there. Very sad to have wasted the money...