Reuse of totalled '98 GTI pieces into '03 Jetta

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
A deer put paid to my old '98 GTI-VR6, which I had customized (NOT tricked) to suit me like old kid gloves...my new chariot is a creampuff '03 jetta (with 11k miles). So now I have left-overs from the GTI that I'm wondering if will work with the TDI.
Thanks in advance for the advice!

1) I had an extra set of stock 15" alloy wheels, which currently are wearing my previous Nokia winter tires.
a) The '98 GTI MkIII wheels are 5 bolt...will they work with the 5 bolt spacing and discs on my '03 Jetta?
b) The GTI snow tires are 195-55-15, whereas the Jetta is shod with 195-65-15...I take it they'll only work with 55 series rims....?
2) Is there any market for a Monsoon stereo? Lovely unit, if only it did MP3s! MP3 CDs is the only way to go...I have a Pioneer that does from the GTI. What does it take to blank off the dash for a single DIN radio? Suggestions for a doubleDIN aftermarket that isn't more that $200 and ridiculously trick/highend?

3) Golly, I miss the '98 GTI MFI with the MPG and other readouts...REALLY improved my economy driving and told me what worked...I end up now coasting down hills as a result..the Jetta manual showsan MFI, but the Jetta GLS doesn't have it....do any Jettas have it? I know retrofitting from a Passat has been covered, but can it be done from a native Jetta?

4)) I have a lovely Recaro Orthoped from the GTI...will the seat interface (you buy the seat and an adapter rack for your model) from the '98 MkIII work in the Jetta MkIV. Not much hope, but........

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
1a. Should be fine. People do put MK4 Avus on MK3 VR6's
1b. Tires= no. However, should be able to mount the correct tire size on the wheels

2. Buy a din pocket.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can do it in the Jetta. Look in the upgrades forum, there's a sticked thread called OEM+ mods.

-Jason

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
I would recommend you go to a dealer or your favorite vw parts store online and purchase the oem pocket. None of the aftermarket pockets fit as nice as it does. You won't have much luck finding a good looking double din for <$200 imo. Any of them around that price are wasting the whole front with a disco light display. Any of the decent ones (i.e. nav or video) are going to cost substantially more, but they look really nice in a mkiv......