Post FIX MPG

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Great! I hope that you are tracking fuel used and miles driven and logging it all so we can see OK g term fuel economy with the fix.

From the posts I have read, I don't recall any that were negative after the fix. I find it fascinating that drivability and fuel economy apparently haven't suffered contrary to the previous conventional wisdom that folks couldn't have their cake and eat it too.

Of course that cliche has always bothered me. Isn't eating the cake why you have it?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I was never able to come close to 46-48 let alone 51 on a tank in WV.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
So I had the fix completed last Thursday on my 15 GSW. I feared that my mph would go down, HOWEVER, I took a road trip today and got much better MPG. I normally get 46-48mpg on my wagon, but I got 51mpg!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzXCIumgGiCRZXUtVGRsREh6b1E
Interesting. Our 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed is being fixed this morning and I'll report here after it has some miles on it. I would note that we calculate our fuel mileage based on gallons pumped divided by miles driven. Our Golf's indicated mileage is often in error... MPG is too high or too low. Our calculated MPG for the past 10.6k miles is 47.5. It'll be interesting to see what it is after the fix and some additional miles, with MPG calculated as we've been doing on our TDI's for 15+ years.
-Rod

UPDATE 2/21/17 1:36PM
VW fix completed in 1.4 hrs and have driven it 54 miles. No changes evident in sound of engine or performance, based on this very limited amount of mileage. Documents included VW schedule and amount of restitution to be confirmed within 3 days. More later after additional miles and fuel consumption has been calculated.

Last edited:

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
quite pleased with our 39mpg city/hwy post-Phase 1 mileage (403miles/10.33 gal fill up, DSG)

willie
on the lead-foot Gulf of Mexico

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Great! I hope that you are tracking fuel used and miles driven and logging it all so we can see OK g term fuel economy with the fix.

From the posts I have read, I don't recall any that were negative after the fix. I find it fascinating that drivability and fuel economy apparently haven't suffered contrary to the previous conventional wisdom that folks couldn't have their cake and eat it too.

Of course that cliche has always bothered me. Isn't eating the cake why you have it?
Yes but your confusion stems from people flubbing the cliche. It's supposed to be, "You can't eat your cake and have it, too."

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
It's like I've said in other threads, I noticed no difference in any driving characteristics. If anything, I've noticed an improvement in mileage. The last fuel up gave me the best MPG of the winter, but then again, the temperatures have been slightly more mild. More data will be needed, perhaps a full year's worth to do a year over year comparison.

From the articles and studies I've read, the common thread is believed the biggest change was the injection strategy. That somehow the maximum cylinder pressures or temperatures were reduced at critical timing points that limit the formation of NOx while still allowing the diesel cycle to do its job. That, and I'm sure SCR and EGR duty cycles were increased.

It's reasonable for me to believe that these changes could be made without significant impacts to the base formula. At the end of the day, the compression ratio is still 16.2:1.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
It appears the 'fix' isn't screwing up driving characteristics or mpg. Just going to use a lot more DEF.

I just had my record tank (58.5 mpg over 747 miles). Love warm February in the Midwest.

I haven't had mine fixed yet.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
2/26/17 MPG Update with VW ECU Update

Interesting. Our 2015 Golf S TDI 6-speed is being fixed this morning and I'll report here after it has some miles on it. I would note that we calculate our fuel mileage based on gallons pumped divided by miles driven. Our Golf's indicated mileage is often in error... MPG is too high or too low. Our calculated MPG for the past 10.6k miles is 47.5. It'll be interesting to see what it is after the fix and some additional miles, with MPG calculated as we've been doing on our TDI's for 15+ years.
-Rod
We made a 321.8 miles drive to Thomas Jefferson's Montelcello yesterday during a wonderful weather day in our area of northern Virginia. We noted no changes at all and the trips fuel mileage was 49.5 MPG when filled up this morning. We drove mostly on I-81 running at speeds of 65-75 MPH with a few full throttle acceleration runs.

A check from VW arrived today via FedEx for 2/3 of the TDI Class Action Settlement.

As I've previously noted, we DO NOT USE the VW Golf computer fuel mileage indicator, as it is typically too generous, versus our calculation method of dividing the miles driven by the amount of fuel pumped into the fuel tank. We've recorded our fuel mileage using this method since this Golf was purchased new September 2014. Its only modifications are Bilstein B6 HD shocks at all four corners, made several weeks after we purchased this VW and found the factory shocks sadily lacking. Been using Bilstein HD's on all our vehicles since late 1970's.
-Rod

Last edited:

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
On my 2012 Jetta TDI Premium I am averaging 58-60 MPG stock! No fix as of yet....

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Same with me, better fuel mileage and seems to me performance is the same. I have not refilled the DEF, interested to see when the 1500 mile warning comes on

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
I am curious why this calibration did not come from the factory if the mpg is better and there is no change in power? I guess I don't have any qualms about filling the DEF like others might, so that could be it

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I am curious why this calibration did not come from the factory if the mpg is better and there is no change in power? I guess I don't have any qualms about filling the DEF like others might, so that could be it
It's likely shortening the life of the rest of the equipment (just a total guess here)... but that is probably why the hardware changes are coming next....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's likely shortening the life of the rest of the equipment (just a total guess here)... but that is probably why the hardware changes are coming next....
I think you're right about that. I'm glad that the fix seems to run just as well as - or is even an improvement over - stock.

bodhisattvah

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I'm getting the exact same mileage on my TDI S with stick after the flash. I haven't checked the data log yet to see if the OBD says much different (I regularly log data with the Torque android app)

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
just got the software update and 23Q3 campaign so its called

I took my car into VW Downtown Los Angeles today. It had close to 40k miles on there so I took it in for a better compensation value. I have a 6MT and I drive like it was an old beetle, lots of coasting, heel toe double clutching.

Haven't noticed much difference after the recall service. The engine sounds a less puttery more kluttery. I might even say that the drive has a little more punch off first gear. I came in with 1/2 tank of HPR diesel and I do Fuelly religously. I'm going to finish off this 1/2 and put some #2 diesel in and see what my new readings are. Will report in a few weeks.