What did you do to your car today?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
A pothole didn't do that, your alignment has been out for quite a while.

This is what can happen to your tires on the pot hole strewn streets of Montreal :eek:

Good thing I did not bend the rim, so, I had a set of these installed today as well as had an alignment, which was knocked way off on front drivers. Needless to say next time I have to go to Montreal, I'll take the Truck :rolleyes:

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
New 2.5" exhaust on the wagon.

Replace my exhaust with 2.5" down pipe and naked piping. No cat or muffler.
May or may not add a muffler in the future. Still getting use to the sound, esp at wot. Nice turbo whistle at low speed thought.
Downside: Now it's louder than it is fast :(

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Never heard of alignment being a cause of gashed tires. :confused:
Hit the pothole with the drivers side front, did not know it cut the tire. When I did the alignment, the drivers side front was actually within spec at:

Before Alignment specs:

Left Front
Camber: -0.7
Caster: 7.4
Toe: 0.05

Right Front
Camber: -1.0
Caster: 6.9
Toe: 0.01

After Alignment specs:

Left Front
Camber: -0.8
Toe: 0.02

Right Front

Caster: 7.2

So, that tire was not out of alignment. After hitting the pothole the tire started to swell at the cut and developed a bubble. Past the point of the cut on the picture, the tread is still present and uniform with the rest of the tire.

MrVermin

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

So, that tire was not out of alignment. After hitting the pothole the tire started to swell at the cut and developed a bubble. Past the point of the cut on the picture, the tread is still present and uniform with the rest of the tire.

MrVermin
Ahh - that was the missing bit of information where I made a wrong conclusion...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hit the pothole with the drivers side front, did not know it cut the tire. When I did the alignment, the drivers side front was actually within spec at:

Before Alignment specs:

Left Front
Camber: -0.7
Toe: 0.05

Right Front
Camber: -1.0
Caster: 6.9

After Alignment specs:

Left Front
Toe: 0.02

Right Front

Caster: 7.2

MrVermin
Could be that you were a bit under inflated since the ware is on the outside of the tires but the center still has lots of meat left. Unless you like taking turns at high speeds ;)

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Could be that you were a bit under inflated since the ware is on the outside of the tires but the center still has lots of meat left. Unless you like taking turns at high speeds ;)
Drove from Toronto to Montreal (Location of the pothole), checked the tire pressure at the last "En-Route" station on highway 401 before crossing into Quebec from Ontario, all at proper pressure (well maybe a little higher :rolleyes:).

Only tire that had this issue was the front drivers side and that was after the encounter with the pothole and the only place where the tread was damaged was at the point of the tear in the tire. The tear broke some of the cords under the tread, then the tire bubbled at that point causing the wear at that spot. The rest of the tread on that tire was uniform across the tire before and after that tear spot.

MrVermin

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Drove from Toronto to Montreal (Location of the pothole), checked the tire pressure at the last "En-Route" station on highway 401 before crossing into Quebec from Ontario, all at proper pressure (well maybe a little higher :rolleyes:).

Only tire that had this issue was the front drivers side and that was after the encounter with the pothole and the only place where the tread was damaged was at the point of the tear in the tire. The tear broke some of the cords under the tread, then the tire bubbled at that point causing the wear at that spot. The rest of the tread on that tire was uniform across the tire before and after that tear spot.

MrVermin
Ahhh, makes sense now :cool:

cfc1016

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon Auto; 2001 Beetle 5spd
(Monday) I cleaned my MAF (99% isopropyl); cleaned my throttle body (gum cutter); and installed new fuel filter (MANN, flushed with diesel kleen). Saw a nice little mpg bump (1-2 after work done at 1/2 tank. Extrapolated out - 3-4 increase actual).

Today I tried my first round (4fl oz in the fillup) of diesel kleen in the tank. Sounds like the engine is running quieter. Will look forward to seeing if there's a change in mpg.

Edit: is this the wrong thread for this? If so, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Yesterday, replaced the two utterly dead rear hatch gas lift shocks with some new ones from Auto-Camping sourced through my local tech. (At least my snow brush has had a purpose this summer! It's been holding up my hatch.) :rolleyes:

I know they'll settle in, but holy crap are the new struts over-exuberant! I just about caught the hatch in the teeth when I first opened it because it sprang open forcefully the moment the latch was released! :eek:

I wish someone had been filming; it would have made for some good YouTube comedy footage! :D

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Finally got my onboard air repaired, Viair 350c died, and I had another DOA. New one works for now. I hope it last, if I doesn't I'm not sure what I'll switch it out for.

Of course I haven't had any reason to use the horns yet and I had no less than 3 earlier today. 2 trucks completely blew red lights after traffic began passing from the opposite direction with green, and the other was a car that rolled out of McDonald's turning left and hit an autozone semi. Sorry no dash vids, all happened next to me not in front.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I got a spare that fits over my brakes :). Just a 5th long beach and a tire that I pulled because it was noisy. Such a relief

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Sedan: Put the 18" BBS RC wheels on it. I want to spin my coils down probably an inch to 3/4 inch.

Wagon: Parked it in the garage. Replaced a leaky tire valve. Test fitted oem foglights after trimming some plastic inside the bumper. Started a bit of paint on the 4 motion lip, but have to sand it off and re-do it. Received the B&M short throw shifter, FMIC with random aluminum pipes, silicone bits and clamps. Recieved a catch can.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Finally broke down and got one of those plastic trunk fixes for the Jetta after repairing the broken piece 3 times. Hope it holds up, got the one that sits on top and is held on by 3M adhesive.

Pricey little plastic piece especially shipped to Canada.

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Finally swapped over all my go faster goodies from my wrecked car and did a timing belt job at the same time. Also, installed my PD150 turbo inlet pipe. So much better than the OMI. Need to get a little fuel filter for my boost gauge. I have the crazy buzzing.

Sometimes I want a new TDI, but I really like that I can actually work on this one myself.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Finally broke down and got one of those plastic trunk fixes for the Jetta after repairing the broken piece 3 times. Hope it holds up, got the one that sits on top and is held on by 3M adhesive.

Pricey little plastic piece especially shipped to Canada.
What piece are you talking about? BTW, I wish people would post a picture or link when they make similar posts as not everyone has the entire VAG parts catalog for the last 20-30 years memorized. :D

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
DIY DSG Service. Used the top fill-replace what you drain method. Used 4.6 liters of transmission fluid.

This was a first time for me changing the DSG fluid so I took my time. Completed in about 2 hours. Next time will probably take 1 to 1.5 hrs now that I am confident I know what I am doing.

In retrospect, the process is straight forward and described well in the various YouTube videos on the subject.

The only thing that deviated somewhat from the online videos was removing the battery tray to access the oil filter. In my case, there were wires and vacuum hoses along the front and left side of the tray impeding pulling it fully out. Instead, I angled it out of the way sufficiently enough that I could cleanly reach the filter to remove it.

Glad to have done this myself. Parts were about $150 - including fuel and air filter. Not bad for a 40,000 mile service interval.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Finally gave up on doing a zinc plating of the front subframe. I cleaned it as well as I could, applied POR-15 to the rust spots, installed the new-to-me steering rack to replace the other very leaky one, and installed it back into the 2-dr. I also applied several coats of CRC marine corrosion inhibitor, which is a spray grease that appears to be a film similar to cosmoline, just not as thick. More will be sprayed under that car and my other vehicles prior to winter. Seems like a good alternative to 'oiling' which seems common among some people around here.

I'm just glad to finally start putting the 2-dr back together again.

Cheers!

PH

elbutler72

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan
Replaced my headliner, replace my 11 year old pealing tint and finally got the steering wheel radio controls working on my aftermarket radio.