What did you do to your car today?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Got new 195 65 15 Falkens (912 series) put on the Golf today. Also looked at my brake pads after 90K miles:

Looks like I got a while left before I need to replace the OEM pads. Rears looked the same.:)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
thank you,

I'd love to see photos. particularly how you wired up the fogs. So that the fogs turn off as supposed to, with high beams on.

andreigbs said:
The Depo headlights came WITH a wire harness, which included a relay of course. I was gladly surprised. I used the supplied wiring harness and relay as a simple PnP, just added an HID kit instead of halogen low-beams. I opted for the slim ballast design; these fit inside of the headlight housing and the covers do their job properly: no fogging!

The wiring harness was a little longer than I needed, haven't cut it yet, but I may end up doing so to shorten it. As it is, it is mostly hidden out of view right under the metal edge of the hood latch base. Zipties are your friend.

For the fogs, I use the repair wires to run wiring from my Euroswitch to the first headlight harness, then spliced in another wire and ran it across to the other headlight harness. Since I already have a relay controlling/protecting everything else, I didn't use one for the fogs. Still, the fogs turn off as supposed to, with high beams on. Wiring is hidden as close to stock location, i.e. under battery box and along that plastic "spine". Works great and looks good. Good luck with your install, i'll try to post some pics of the end-result.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
aja8888 said:
Got new 195 65 15 Falkens (912 series) put on the Golf today. Also looked at my brake pads after 90K miles:
(snip)
Looks like I got a while left before I need to replace the OEM pads. Rears looked the same.:)
It is not uncommon for front pads to last 30k-40k miles longer than the rear pads. Too many people decide to do fronts and rears at the same time, for convenience I suppose, but IMO they should be considered separately. If you had two tires that were bald and two with only slight tread wear, you would probably not replace all four.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
TornadoRed said:
It is not uncommon for front pads to last 30k-40k miles longer than the rear pads. Too many people decide to do fronts and rears at the same time, for convenience I suppose, but IMO they should be considered separately. If you had two tires that were bald and two with only slight tread wear, you would probably not replace all four.
TR: I know it's not unusual for these cars to have the rear pads go out before the front. And when that happens, I guess I will make a decision as to just replace what's needed or replace the front and rear with new rotors and ceramic pads.

I am not too surprised these brake pads have lasted 90K and have a LOT of pad thickness remaining (both front and rear pads) since I do a lot of highway driving to accumulate the miles. I guess I have a couple of years left on these with my driving style, although I may just keep an occasional eye on the wear and capliers to see if other issues are surfacing. I really need to change the brake fluid since it is overdue by quite a while.:eek:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Took an engine oil sample for analysis.

Drained the "perfectly good" Redline D4 with 14.5K miles on it and replaced with VW G 060.

edit: swapped my 4gph w/m nozzle for a 3gph

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
aja...
I have found out that removing the front brake pads and "flipping" the pads (from the inside to the outside on both sides), will give more even wear and longer pad life/mileage.
Seems that the caliper outer tends to stick/return slower than the caliper side and thus wearing out the outer pad a little more.
IMHO...

(The larger discs and calipers that I am installing in my B4 are IN, can't wait to drive and notice the difference!
Had to grind the outer side of the caliper holder ~3mm's 'cause of the Konig Minuz's wheels that I have).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I actually find the inside pads on the MKIVs wear faster, perhaps because that's the piston side.

I didn't do this to my car, but I visited the Golf today to deliver some parts. Here are a couple of views of the work in progress.

They're making good progress. They saved the frame rail although it was a lot of work. I brought them the inner and outer fender, a hood, and bumper cover. I still need a bunch of trim and other stuff. I'm debating about a carbon fiber hood. I could save about 15 lbs, but they're expensive. I think I'd rather spend the $$ on better seats.

KROUT

persona non grata
I have a front clip here in good shape that need hauling away. The frame rails are good as are the inner fender stuff.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
I actually find the inside pads on the MKIVs wear faster, perhaps because that's the piston side.

I didn't do this to my car, but I visited the Golf today to deliver some parts. Here are a couple of views of the work in progress.

They're making good progress. They saved the frame rail although it was a lot of work. I brought them the inner and outer fender, a hood, and bumper cover. I still need a bunch of trim and other stuff. I'm debating about a carbon fiber hood. I could save about 15 lbs, but they're expensive. I think I'd rather spend the $$ on better seats.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Thanks, but probably not worth the shipping. I only needed the driver's side fender stuff and the bumper cover, grille, and trim. And hood. But then again, my son's car needs a grille, hood, and bumper cover, too. Hmmm.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TDI_Votex said:
Also, been receiving a birthday card from my dealer each year since I bought my Jetta in 2003. :D
Cool.:D C'est chouette!

I get this only one of a kind "new car smell" désodorisant that makes my car smell brand new. I ask where to buy it... but no one at Volkswagen knows where their home office purchases it.:(

The first year I received a wash mit to clean the car. That lasted almost 3 years. Excellent quality.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
bikeprof said:
aja...
I have found out that removing the front brake pads and "flipping" the pads (from the inside to the outside on both sides), will give more even wear and longer pad life/mileage.
I thought using used pads on different rotors (or different sides of the same rotor) was a very bad thing due to the fact that pads "bed in" to the rotors. That is to say that new rotors and pads are machined flat. Used rotors and pads are have grooves that match each other. If you mix up used parts then you have peaks and valleys that result in a large reduction in usable surface area for friction?

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
bikeprof said:
aja...
Seems that the caliper outer tends to stick/return slower than the caliper side and thus wearing out the outer pad a little more.
IMHO...

(The larger discs and calipers that I am installing in my B4 are IN, can't wait to drive and notice the difference!
Had to grind the outer side of the caliper holder ~3mm's 'cause of the Konig Minuz's wheels that I have).
When I change the brake fluid I will have a look at the inside pads and the bolt conditions. But I am kind of with NarfBlast above on swapping pad positions. It's worth a look, though. Thanks.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Perhaps, but at the track people swap pads w/o rotors and vice-versa all the time. I just put George's used pads on rotors that I'd run for a while with race pads and the car's braking performance is excellent. In fact, on the track, I've been warned against installing new pads and rotors together, as they can wear out very quickly. And when I did install new rear pads and rotors together on my wagon in August I went through 1/2 of the pads in a 30 minute session.

If the rotors are in good shape (not heavily grooved), you shouldn't have a problem.

TechWorlds

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
My new studded snow tires, mounted on wheels, with TPS sensors arrived today.

They are Firestone Winterforce tires mounted to 16 inch rims.

Now all i need is a skid plate to make my car pretty bullet proof for winter.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
TechWorlds said:
My new studded snow tires, mounted on wheels, with TPS sensors arrived today.

They are Firestone Winterforce tires mounted to 16 inch rims.

Now all i need is a skid plate to make my car pretty bullet proof for winter.
Those look mean.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
alternator pulley

Swapped out the squealing alternator pulley on my 03 Jetta, 88K miles.
Thanks to Paramedick and Wingnut for the excellent instructions and to TDIparts for getting the part and tool to me prior to my upcoming big road trip.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Honeydew said:
Swapped out the squealing alternator pulley on my 03 Jetta, 88K miles.
Thanks to Paramedick and Wingnut for the excellent instructions and to TDIparts for getting the part and tool to me prior to my upcoming big road trip.
Great photo Honeydew. Did you take it or did you get it off a website?

How hard was the job?... Never mind.:D

I had my alternator replaced entirely with a rebuilt Bosch just because of a slipping pulley.:( That alternator would have perhaps lasted forever. It was a great find to just replace a pulley ...but I came in the game too soon [June 2006].

Anyways, great photo.

BrianCT

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TechWorlds said:
Yeh the ride wont be as nice as my normal tires but i dont think ill have to worry too much about getting stuck this winter.
These are 5 x 112's? I'd be afraid to drive on such a nice rim as those foxes.:D You'll be polishing them in between snow storms.

If you want to give the inner rims a treatment worth the taking, get ahold of some clear coat by Wheel Dupli-Color. Scratch up the inside rims lightly with a scotch brite pad. Coat the inner rims a couple goooooood coats. It'll preserve the road salts and junk from collecting. I revamped an olde set of rims last winter in this thread here at the bottom of the thread... the Castelles.:D

Do you own a 1969 Cuda'? The rear tail lights look '69

TechWorlds

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
BrianCT said:
These are 5 x 112's? I'd be afraid to drive on such a nice rim as those foxes.:D You'll be polishing them in between snow storms.

If you want to give the inner rims a treatment worth the taking, get ahold of some clear coat by Wheel Dupli-Color. Scratch up the inside rims lightly with a scotch brite pad. Coat the inner rims a couple goooooood coats. It'll preserve the road salts and junk from collecting. I revamped an olde set of rims last winter in this thread here at the bottom of the thread... the Castelles.:D

Not sure what you mean about the wheels. They are painted, here is a link to the actual wheel.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=CD675511245BSATML&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=CD&wheelFinish=Bright+Satin+w%2FMachined+Lip&showRear=no&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoModel=Jetta+Sedan&autoYear=2009&autoModClar=TDI&filterSize=16&filterFinish=All&filterSpecial=false&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand

That is actually a 68 cuda. It has 67 tail lights. The car was hit early in 1968 and they actually didnt have 68 tail lights to fix it. So they put 67 tail lights and trim on it.

At least that was the story i was told by the original owner.

Here is another picture:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Today I looked at my car (sans powertrain), and then looked at a pile of "powertrain" on the floor next to it. Then I thought about how much WORK it's going to take to put the two pieces together LOL. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning and painting the engine in the AM and hopefully will help Krout drop it in in the PM =)

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Thanks Peter, pads can be swapped(I knew that...).

1. I finally completed the install of the larger 11" G60(Corrado), calipers and rotors, etc. on my B4 Variant.
Had to remove about 3mm's from the caliper holder to clear the wheels, that part was fun(a grinder or weed eater in my hands and I am dangerous :D), painted the calipers and checked clearance...

The stopping ability is super compared to what I had there, drilled OEM rotors with better pads.

Now to look for larger rear rotors...

2. Installed E-brake cables and finally there is an operational "parking brake"!

3. Installed headlight lenses that are glass so I can see at night(similar to Hella's)

4. Contemplating fog lights...(but not OEM)

5. Vacuumed the inside including a new bedspread that keeps grease off the loading area, cleaned dirty/soiled spots.

Somehow I get working late at night way past the time the cows have come home.

TechWorlds

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
BrianCT said:

Oh and i forgot to tell you. I went and looked at the thread with the wheels that you had refurbished.

OUTSTANDING JOB!!

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TechWorlds said:
Not sure what you mean about the wheels. They are painted, here is a link to the actual wheel.
Okay, the inner barrels are painted in pigment [colour pigment]. What I meant was, usually the stones, road salts and sand hammer the inner barrels of these rims. Many times you can end up with huge gobs of tar stuck inside there too. What I had done to help prevent that from happening was applying two good coats of "clear coat finish" for wheel from Duplicolor [spray cans]. It's like adding extra clear coat onto a painted surface. Usually the manufacturers go cheap on clear coating the inner barrels of rims saving money. Even if the rims are painted you can still clear coat the inner barrels by lightly scratching up the surface with scotch brite or 2000 grit sand paper just enough for the clear coat to grab. The 2000 grit paper won't even touch the color, it'll just hit the factory clear coating for a new application. This is not the outside of the rims, it's the inner barrels.

Example of my inner barrels being cleared 5 coats.

TechWorlds said:
That is actually a 68 cuda. It has 67 tail lights. The car was hit early in 1968 and they actually didnt have 68 tail lights to fix it. So they put 67 tail lights and trim on it.

At least that was the story i was told by the original owner.

Here is another picture:
Beautiful car. I enjoy the fact that you kept the car original, down to the hub caps and white walls.:D

Mint!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
BrianCT said:
Great photo Honeydew. Did you take it or did you get it off a website?

How hard was the job?... Never mind.:D

I had my alternator replaced entirely with a rebuilt Bosch just because of a slipping pulley.:( That alternator would have perhaps lasted forever. It was a great find to just replace a pulley ...but I came in the game too soon [June 2006].

Anyways, great photo.

BrianCT
Thanks Brian. I took that pic on the bench mid-swap. The hardest part of the job was prying the alt and compressor off their mounts. Pipe wrench handle ended up closing the deal.