Coolant flush intervals/discussion

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Since clogged cores has angered alot of us, and since alot of us have scored a stop sale with essentially zero miles, AND alot of us are planning to ride out the warranty period....

Should one take it upon themselves and flush the coolant 2 or 3x before 100k? Seems petty pennies for the headaches of a clogged core when out of warranty...

I think we've come to the conclusion the extensive heat with the water cooled egr/dpf combo has been the culprit of coolant issues.

Those who plan to delete only after riding out the warranty, I'm curious if increased intervals of of fresh coolant flushing might possibly limit the possibilities of headaches down the road?

Granted you can replace a heater core, but what other areas are getting clogged or reduced efficiency, on top if the labor of anything can be reduced or eliminated with a simple hose clamp removal.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Flushing it may cause loose stuff to clog it just as much. I would leave it alone and take my chances. It is my understanding the cores passages are very thin.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
pH balance might prevent the aluminum block and other components breaking down/corroding.

It's not like that from the factory. Something with using the vehicle in service is doing something to the coolant, which is supposed to protect the components.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The coolant bottle on the EA288s has a silicate tablet that is supposedly used to combat the corrosion seen in previous systems. I have drained the coolant on my car twice in 73k miles for downpipe install at 25k miles and turbo upgrade at 65k. The coolant always looks great and the bottle hasn't turned any gross orange color!

The core is easily accessible now too, but I'd guess those issues were mainly focused on the CKRA.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Id be more interested in looking for a coolant that can handle the higher EGR duty cycles. the number of Gen 2 Passats that have had issues isn't something to ignore, same with Gen1 owners getting heater cores replaced after their fix.

I just think vw stuff isn't as good as it needs to be, they met the environmental quality they were after but left the longevity/durability off the table of the newest G14+++ or what ever the blend is.

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
Is this issue with clogged cores only affecting TDI's with auto transmissions? Has it been an issue with MK7s?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
handful of '15 have decent miles (+100K) but time will tell.