Is there a consensus suspension setup for wagons?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I went with the Bilstein TC front, and OEM Bilsteins on the rear (longer mounting stem). This is a really inexpensive way to go, and I like the ride. My coil springs are 2 blue, 2 white dot code showing 170 lbs/inch progression rate and "S" designation.

Unfortunately, I have two new issues. First, I discovered that the P.O. over-torqued the lower calipur guide pin on the left side. It is stripped in the bearing housing. Second, the control arm bushings are gone. I am NOT gaining the full stiffness that I will experience with the new struts until I replace those bushings. So it all has to come out again. Oh well.

I got the stiff urethane bushing kit and found a used bearing housing for under $50. I will install a new bearing and CV joint/boot on that side. A set of guide pins was under $5. The right side already got a new CV joint/boot. Getting there!

I also have the Kerma ~1.5" rear lift for the rear. I should do that while I am in there.

Last edited: