Mazda Bringing Diesel engine to USA

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Wow, and we have been talking gloom and doom about TDI tech.

If Mazda sells a TDI now, VW will never withdraw TDI products from the U.S. market.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Interesting....after reading Mazda's explanation of their Skyactiv-D engine, it seems so relatively straightforward that it's surprising that none of the Euros have implemented anything similar. If Mazda's low compression design performs as advertised (and without SCR systems, etc.) that may breathe new life into the small engine diesel.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
It would seem to me, that with a low compression ratio, it would be necessary at very low engine loads to have some glow plug activation to "keep the fire going".

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I'd like to see all the Japanese auto manufacturers offer diesel engines in their cars sold in the US. Would also love to see VWAG's VW, Audi, and Porsche continue offering TDIs as well as BMW and MB.

Perhaps a new administration will put the brakes on the power mad bicycle and metro bus and train riders of EPA and allow us to buy diesels once again.

Electric go carts are not the answer. No one but city dwellers would buy them if not for the generous taxpayer subsidies paid to buyers of battery cars.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I'd like to see all the Japanese auto manufacturers offer diesel engines in their cars sold in the US.....
YES , please God!

Perhaps a new administration will put the brakes on the power mad bicycle and metro bus and train riders of EPA and allow us to buy diesels once again......
YES, please God!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Interesting....after reading Mazda's explanation of their Skyactiv-D engine, it seems so relatively straightforward that it's surprising that none of the Euros have implemented anything similar. If Mazda's low compression design performs as advertised (and without SCR systems, etc.) that may breathe new life into the small engine diesel.
Pretty sure the Mazda diesels here (if they do materialize) will have SCR. They initially thought they could manage without it because somehow VW could. Well....we know how that worked out.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I'd like to see all the Japanese auto manufacturers offer diesel engines in their cars sold in the US. Would also love to see VWAG's VW, Audi, and Porsche continue offering TDIs as well as BMW and MB.

Perhaps a new administration will put the brakes on the power mad bicycle and metro bus and train riders of EPA and allow us to buy diesels once again.

Electric go carts are not the answer. No one but city dwellers would buy them if not for the generous taxpayer subsidies paid to buyers of battery cars.
Plus on east coast electric cars cause more pollution than diesel and gas cars. It is just Elon Musk paying all the congressmen to get money from the government.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It would seem to me, that with a low compression ratio, it would be necessary at very low engine loads to have some glow plug activation to "keep the fire going".
Yes, special glow plugs appear to have something to do with it, and they also talk on that web site about the valve timing....there's some sophistication to it.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Wow that's pretty cool! :)

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Toyota 4Runner Trail TDI. Would kill for one.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
After having my 2015 Mazda 6 gasser, I really trust what Mazda is doing in their post-Ford era. The car was remarkable for the money, and I would trust it long term. It's a shame I sold it to "invest" in some TDIs, but I'm in a better place for it.

Toyota 4Runner Trail TDI. Would kill for one.
YES! Though I'd rather have it in my FJ while keeping my manual transmission...

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
It's coming next year, blah, blah, blah. How many years has the Skyactiv-D been predicted after an auto show? 10? Sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Its like the Peanuts cartoon, where Lucy always pulls away the football, just as Charlie Brown commits to kick it.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Or it's like the Golf Alltrack TDI - they tease us for 10+ years on it, finally commit to it, and then dieselgate...

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
"Hidden Costs of Energy"

Plus on east coast electric cars cause more pollution than diesel and gas cars. It is just Elon Musk paying all the congressmen to get money from the government.
Here is another thought. Look at the complete life-cycle impact of an engine technology on the environment. This is a more holistic and more accurate/realistic approach in my view:

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=P...QAhVMNiYKHaKzAL8Q6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/stati...rts-in-brief/hidden_costs_of_energy_Final.pdf

GREET provides total and urban emissions for both WTW and vehicle manufacturing. Thus, urban and rural damages can be calculated individually (rural emissions calculated by subtracting the urban emissions from the total emissions), and a "composite" damage derived from combining the urban and rural damages.
Using that methodology, here is a graphic of the results I get:

This shows EV in a better light, especially if it's a very clean grid like California (virtually no coal generation), since a higher percentage of emissions are generated in rural locations.
Edit: The "Diesel @X5" uses the average overall "real world" exhaust emission profile of the BMW X5 35d measured by WVU in the ICCT report.