6speed 02m from GTI swap to my TDI??

sltlytwkd

TDI
03 jetta
So I found a 02m from a gasser 20th GTI locally for cheap, ($500) but doesnt have axles. What exactly would I all need to swap the 6 speed into my already manual 5 speed jetta? I'm assuming a new clutch and axles atleast? Will the trans have the wrong gear ratios for my TDI? Should I buy it for anyways?? Lol

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
The gear ratios in the 02M will be for a gasser. They won't really play well with a diesel engine. But yes, you'd need a 6 speed clutch, and axles. I think you also need a 6 speed starter, possibly shift linkage and cables, and trans mount bracket. Not worth it IMO. Go with a slightly longer 5th gear in your 02J if you want to rev lower on the highway.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
^Yes.

Having no experience with this I've read the manual gear differences are an issue, good news is the correct transmission is not real expensive.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Gear ratios are different gas vs diesel. I would sell it and buy a taller 5th gear for your existing 02J or sell it and buy a proper tdi ratio gearbox.

sltlytwkd

TDI
03 jetta
Well I got lucky, the guy was parting out a bunch of stuff so i traded it back to him for a GTI steering wheel, headliner, and other useless stuff! What a guy! Haha