How many miles have you driven on Zero

Neous

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Audi Q7
i was on the back roads (curvy, hilly, bad cell phone reception, plus it's raining) when my MFD read 0 miles to go til empty. that was a scary moment, i estimated that i was about 10 miles away from the nearest station. and started praying
Thank God, i made it there in 7 miles and trust me that wasn't pleasant

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not from the low fuel warning light, from the gauge that shows how many miles left till empty. This is well after the light has come on. Maybe this feature of the gauge is new to the mk5's.

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
Just today I did 85 miles after the fuel light came on. The most I'd done before that was 70 and I do about that routinely. The 85 miles scared me, however I still only filled up with 15.910 gallons! I'm sure I had another half gallon in there at least. (Vented tank of course.)

snopro31

TDI
jetta
cbass94 said:
Just today I did 85 miles after the fuel light came on. The most I'd done before that was 70 and I do about that routinely. The 85 miles scared me, however I still only filled up with 15.910 gallons! I'm sure I had another half gallon in there at least. (Vented tank of course.)
dont have a fuel light on my car. did however drive 90 miles with the gauge on red.

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I just drove it to beyond a 16 gallon fill up, but the station was busy so I decided not to stand there and top it. I think I would have put in 16.5 or so, since the pump clicked off somewhere in the high 15s, which is something like .5-1.0 beyond where it usually does and I start trickling it in to top off and keep the foam down. Seems like it foams less than it used to. Maybe the ULSD vs. LSD? I think I read that somewhere.

This leads me to believe I can drive just about any tank to 800 miles. The needle was flat on empty for at least 30 miles, with some hard acceleration to boot. I can't even remember when the fuel light came on. Stupid quite honestly, but it made it through. Thumbs up.

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I went 25 over on my brothers 2005.5 MFA. On my 2002 car I drove 105 miles with my empty light on. I put just over 16.5 gallons in my car and yes I was very worried since I was 300 miles from home.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The question from the OP was "How far have you driven after the mfd says "0" (zero) miles left on the tank?" Not how far from when the low fuel light came on. Big difference in scary factor.

Neous

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Audi Q7
cbass94 said:
True, but some of us don't have an MFD, so the low fuel light is our only other consistent gauge.
I don't know which is worse (think of it as a first time experience)
1. seeing your fuel needle hit the last red mark
2. or your computer tell you "driving the way you are right now, you have zero miles to go"

I've experienced both in different vehicles of course, and they weren't fun.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
When my volvo said '0 remaining', the engine usually quit. Going around a curve fast enough with '5 remaining' would cause it to studder.

ieracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I usually go 50 - 75 miles after the fuel light comes on. Never had a problem.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
This onetime.... at bandcamp.....uh, wait.
I drove an '88 Lincoln Town car 10 mi past the computer saying 0 mi to empty. Very scary.
I hope i never have to do that in the vagen.
best mpg 21.5 in the lincoln on the 'spressway. Like riding in a leather couch. But, that was also gas @ 1.20/ gal.........aaahhhhh, the good old days.
I'm muuuuch happier puttin 3.85 ULSD and getting mid-30's on a bad day. Meaning, a day when I went dancing with the turbo ......mmmmmmm ....turbo.

Keep on dieselin'

bakerinva

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 "Special Edition" Jetta TDI
I just did 720 miles on my last tank, said 5 left on MFG (so it said) I had gone about 75 miles with the fuel light on...I admit getting nervous when it went down to 5!! I just really wanted to go as far as possible on a tank. It was stange, the station where I filled up (cheapest around...$3.69 a gallon, went up to $3.79 the next day!) the pump cut me off at $50! So, I had to wait for the pump to reset and put another $6 in...