VSS

Hammy

TDI
2003 Golf 3-dr Reflex Silver
How does the '03 Golf transmit the vehicle speed signal (VSS)? I assume that there is some communication of vehicle speed to the radio for the speed-adjusting volume. Is this signal transmitted by hardwire, or some other method (some sort of networked CAN communication)? Can we use VAG-COM to find out the signal frequency?

I am trying to retrofit a Ford Nav radio to my Golf and I need the VSS hooked in. Otherwise, I have to run off of GPS only, which lowers the accuracy and slows the system down.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Wow, cool project! How far have you gotten so far? I'm not sure, but I think it's a five volt pulse that goes to the ECM. I bet there are ways to get a proper VSS signal for your application. Maybe you have to know what voltage and how many times per revolution for the Ford unit. I once retrofit cruise control on a Rabbit that involved placing magnets on the drive shaft. Just saying that you could retrofit a vss. Good luck! Sounds awesome.

Hammy

TDI
2003 Golf 3-dr Reflex Silver
The radio isn't in full production yet (lead vehicle is MY06 Explorer). It's still in the final stages of prototype. I'll probably be able to get my hands on one of those units. Anyways, everything should work pretty smoothly. Radio and software are no problem. I might have some trouble getting the harnesses. And the VSS was the last issue. (Of course there is the issue of the ugly Ford green LED lighting...but that's something I can't fix!)

I have a wiring pin-out for the radio. I'll just need to find the same information for the VW harness...and find out how to get the proper VSS.

Does anybody know how to locate the VSS wire/signal? And, is this a signal that can be verified/checked/monitored/adjusted using VAG-COM or any other tool? I looked at that Dakota-thingy somebody linked too. Looks cool, but even with that i'll have to identify how to get the speed signal to that unit to condition it.

Does anybody know where I can get a good wiring diagram of my golf? Will the Bentley manual have it?