www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 9th, 2019, 09:30   #1
Ramdiesel78

Default ALH swap wonít start

Good morning, I would like humbly ask for the advice of some experts here. I swapped an 03 ALH engine into an 89 Toyota pick up. I can not get this bugger to start. I have a jug of fuel on the roof siphoned into the injection pump, I have vacuumed probably a gallon of file through the injunction pump. When I crank it it takes a few revaluations to get a good squirt at any of my he injectors. If I stop to give the starter a brake it seems like I have to start over bleeding the injectors. It takes a lot of cranking to get anything out of #3. I had it start smoking out the exhaust a little last night so I cycled the glow plugs on and it really tried to start but then it just quit smoking while still cranking. This engine hasnít got any ran in about 2 years but I know it ran good before that. I am thinking the ip is sucking air somewhere. When I pull vacuum on the return the bubbles never stop but when I crank it there isnít any bubbles in the return. Iím going to get some more fuel and another starter to give it another go. Sorry for the long book but thank you if youíre still with me. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you
Ramdiesel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:04   #2
Ramdiesel78

Would it help to try to pressurize the fuel going to the pump?
Old February 10th, 2019, 10:54   #3
Ramdiesel78

Ok, maybe more info is needed. The ecu was sent to Malone to delete the antitheft, maf , egr, asv, and maybe something else,I can’t remember. I have power to the ecu, it is grounded. I assume it’s getting crank signal because it powers up the shut off solinoid when cranking. I removed the plunger from the shut off valve. Still has to crank for about 10 seconds before I get a good squirt of fuel from any of the injector lines and if I stop cranking it has to “pump up” again. I ordered a pump head seal from diesel geek. Is there anything else I should be checking?
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:03   #4
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel78 View Post
Would it help to try to pressurize the fuel going to the pump?
Air in the pump can be pretty persistent, 5-10 PSI of fuel pressure going into the injection pump really gets any air out of the pump.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:20   #5
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Fuel can with on top of a taller ladder would help a bunch, .4 PSI per foot the fuel can is above the injection pump, much cheaper to buy a long piece of vinyl hose than a fuel pump, just to get it running.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 12:54   #6
Ramdiesel78

Thanks for the response, I have been pushing fuel through it with a pump sprayer I had set up to bleed brakes. I originally was trying to start it on off-road fuel and I pushed enough through to get solid green fuel, I figured that would be enough. Keep any ideas coming. I’m all ears. Thanks again

Last edited by Ramdiesel78; February 10th, 2019 at 12:55. Reason: Spell check
Old February 10th, 2019, 14:01   #7
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 ALH Golf

If you have timing belt tools, check the static timing. From your first post I got that eventually you saw some smoke from the exhaust, but not quite starting. This is usually a sign of late injection timing.

Try unplugging the CTS. If it starts with the sensor disconnected, I would suspect timing is retarded. The long glow time will help a poorly timed engine start, but proper timing is critical. Once running, the ECU will try to compensate for the static timing error.

Equipped with VCDS and a hoist in a heated shop.
I was told I have every tool known to man.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 16:00   #8
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Make sure the "grounds" are really good, especially to the ECU....

If the engine was running fine when it was shut-down two years ago, the timing should be okay now.
Old February 10th, 2019, 17:04   #9
Ramdiesel78

Thanks, I am rechecking the grounds now. I thought about the timing but this was my bothers car that he wrecked. I drove it into the barn and pulled the engine out. I did get a little closer today, I think. I was manually cycling the glow plugs with about 10psi fuel going into the ip it all clear lines so I can see there is no bubbles; I’ve probably pushed 2 gallons of fuel thru it that way. When I crank it #1 and 2 pump up quickly and 4 takes a bit longer. If I stop 4 takes a while to pump up again. I did notice though when I start cranking it I get some bubbles and foam out of the return. Would you agree it has to be a pump seal? I’m hoping the head seal because I ordered that one.
Old February 10th, 2019, 17:49   #10
Ramdiesel78

0.0 ohms from the ecu plug to the - on the battery
Old February 17th, 2019, 21:33   #11
Ramdiesel78

Ok, we hooked up the obd port and got some codes. I donít have vcds but I have a decent Mac scan tool. I got 17762, 17655, 16491, 17969, and 17970.
When I cleared them the only one I had come back immediately was the 17970. Searching around on this forum I found something that said to check resistance back to pins , I think 55,59, and 66. I donít currently have anything hooked up to any of those pins. I am a little lost as to where to go from here. I have a list of pins 1 through 81 and what I have them hooked up to I could post if that would help. Pin 82 and up I didnít really mess with, I just plugged it in. The t/14 plug only has 2 power wires and 2 grounds hooked up as per vdubspeedís diagram. Let me know if you have any ideas what I should check now. Thanks
Old February 19th, 2019, 07:28   #12
Ramdiesel78

Anyone have any ideas? My plan is to pop the top off the IP and have a look at the QA but probably won’t get a chance until the weekend
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:45   #13
k_pt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW MKIV TDI

Try restricting a bit the return line. Is the IP shut valve working? Is the timing correct?

Do you have any faulty injector dripping?
Old February 23rd, 2019, 10:44   #14
Ramdiesel78

Ok guys I’m still here messing with this thing. I pulled the QA top and the lever was hard to turn, like it was gummy from sitting. I moved it back and forth a few times and it freed up to where it would snap back with spring pressure. When I cycled the key it would go about quarter of the way and hang there for about 15 seconds and go back to zero. I pulled the QA apart and cleaned it, there wasn’t really anything in there now the lever makes a full sweep when I cycle the key. Still won’t start it will pump up to the injectors but if I stop cranking it’s like I have to start over again, it takes about 10 seconds of cranking to get fuel to the injectors again. I’m on my way out to the shop to start trying to bleed it some more but at this point I’m not too hopeful. Any ideas? Thank you
Old February 23rd, 2019, 10:48   #15
Ramdiesel78

Also, I’m going to have to break down and get some way to really scan this thing. I was thinking VCDS lite but I don’t have a computer to use it on. I have recently come across this obdeleven, my kids have all kinds of android phones and tablets I could put it on. Would this be a god way to go or should I be shopping for a laptop?