www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:00   #16
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg

cool. thanks for the insights! I think I can probably brew up something similar.
Old April 9th, 2018, 08:21   #17
vtpsd
Veteran Member

I have been thinking about my clutch and flywheel setup. I am looking to mimic Jimbote's setup (and correct me if I am wrong). It is a later 22re flywheel with the 9 1/4" diameter raised step machined flat, then remachined to the same height step, but in a larger diameter to match the size of the v6 toyota clutch disk. The v6 pressure plate bolts to the flywheel and the dowel pins are the same.

I have not held any of these parts in my hand, so I am only reiterating what I have gotten from the internet and other's project threads.

I am thinking i could use this LCE 35lb 22re flywheel, and re-machine the 9 1/4" step to match the larger v6 disk and end up with a heavier flywheel.

https://www.lceperformance.com/High-...-p/1051018.htm

I have a friend who is a life long machinist (been doing it for 50 years). He has a large lathe and we looked over my swap, adapter plate and talked about my flywheel idea. He was confident he could get it chucked into his good lathe and machine that step like I am describing.

Jim, I am wondering what kind of tool was used to do your clutch machine work. I have a lathe, and would not be confident that I could make that step perfectly co-planar to the mounting surface.

I think professional machine shops resurface flywheels with a grinder of some sort, but I don't know if they could rework the step like I need?

I am not sure if the surface a lathe leaves is good for a flywheel either, and I dont want to ruin a new $350 flywheel.
Old April 9th, 2018, 15:03   #18
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

mine was a new flywheel remachined on a lathe, most new flywheels have a lathe machined friction surface ... the only time I would NOT recommend this is if the flywheel is used and has hot spots, because the hotspots can resist machining and remain above surface level.... as to your question about the late 22RE flywheels being compatible with the V6 clutch: the dowel pins are in the exact same location and the bolt holes are in the exact same location as the 5vzfe 10" units
Old April 10th, 2018, 05:56   #19
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Perfect. That makes good sense. My only remaining question on that: do you think it's worth 350 bucks to start with a 35lb LCE flywheel?
Old April 10th, 2018, 09:30   #20
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsd View Post
Perfect. That makes good sense. My only remaining question on that: do you think it's worth 350 bucks to start with a 35lb LCE flywheel?
i'm using a stock weight late 22re flywheel, no issues
Old April 10th, 2018, 10:55   #21
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
i'm using a stock weight late 22re flywheel, no issues
Ok, good to know. Again, thank you for all the feedback and the documentation on your project.
Old April 10th, 2018, 13:58   #22
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

I cant say anything on the toyota stuff but I have a larger diameter 30lb flywheel on my swap and while I haven't drove it yet I can say that there is absolutely no gear chatter at all and it idles smoother than my golf with a vw smf.
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:41   #23
vtpsd
Veteran Member

not a lot to report. I finished my complete suspension makeover, added some new wheels and tires, some hella driving lights to aid with not hitting deer, added a skid plate as the factory stuff was missing, scrounged up a factory jack kit/OEM spare tire, added a class 3 trailer hitch, replaced all the ball joints, power steering pump, had the truck aligned, added airbags to the rear etc.

Been enjoying having a truck to navigate mud season in Vermont and to use to haul building materials for my house project. On the hunt for mk4 doner cars as I want to complete the swap over the next winter.

I bought a complete new set of OEM mud flaps with all brackets and hardware, which was really extravagant, but I felt like the truck needed them, and I couldnt make the cheapo aftermarket flaps work right and look right.

Last edited by vtpsd; April 24th, 2018 at 05:48.
vtpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:29   #24
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Found the engine for my swap. Got a running 2001 ALH jetta with a flakey automatic trans. The car starts up alight, but stumbles for a couple seconds but otherwise runs very well with no codes. Sort of seems like the glow plugs are not working. Hopefully the 11mm pump is good on it. It runs smooth and no smoke, turbo spools up and it seems to have plenty of power.

towing with the 3rz 4 banger is pretty funny. I did a little bit of twin stick shifting through the transfer case on hill starts.

Last edited by vtpsd; May 1st, 2018 at 06:32.
Old May 11th, 2018, 05:50   #25
vtpsd
Veteran Member

nothing exciting to report, other than I had a strange issue yesterday that nearly torched this truck. Went to start it, and the starter turns half a revolution, stops and smoke starts pouring out from under the hood. Popped the hood and found both battery cables red hot and the battery posts and plastic starting to melt! I had tools with me and got the ground off somehow. It was really only about 15 seconds, but I thought that I might end up with a burned truck or an exploded battery in my face. Pretty scary. I got a nasty burn on my thumb from ripping the ground off.

I figured the starter must have shorted to ground internally. I tore all the wiring out in the parking lot and rigged up a jumper from the alternator to the battery and fuse box, pushed her down a hill, bump started it and went about my day. Ran a bunch of errands and just left it running everywhere.

Pulled the starter, and it was dead shorted inside the solenoid. Rebuilt the main wiring and put in a NAPA reman starter.....which of course has a faulty bendix, and only works one out of every four tries.....Back to the parts store.

Glad the truck didnt burn. I did not have a fire extinguisher with me.

Last edited by vtpsd; May 11th, 2018 at 08:11.
Old May 12th, 2018, 08:34   #26
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Damn,sounds like you got a freeby.
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:02   #27
vtpsd
Veteran Member

it was lucky! Kind of a freak occurrence, and I was really glad I had my tools right there on the front seat, and remembered I needed a 10mm to get the battery cable loose. Could not have been any faster response time.
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:18   #28
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?

hey Dana,

looks like a fun project for sure! I`ll keep an eye on this...but ahm house isn't done yet?! too much snowboarding?

how's the Audi kicking around?
nitec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:25   #29
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Hey Emil, Should be a fun project!

The house is not done, but I just keep plugging away. Doing sheetrock now.

The engine is out of the Audi, it was burning oil badly. Turns out it was coming from the valve seals, not sure why they were leaking so badly. Have not had the time to tear into the head and figure out why. It was either my porting job, or the stage 3 cam and too much lift.

I have a nice, unmolested head that is going to go back on the audi, and then I will be selling it. Time to move on.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 08:52   #30
dsldubn

been a while....and I just stumbled upon this thread. Any progress?
dsldubn is offline   Reply With Quote