www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 26th, 2018, 08:40   #1
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg
Default 1st gen Tacoma ALH

I flew out to Reno last week and drove this Taco back to VT. One of the best weeks of my life. My good friend since forever met me out there, and we had a grand old time.

My friend Matt out on Rt50 in Nevada.

1996 Truck, 3rz, 5 speed 4x4.

Its a bit of a beater, but completely rust free. Has some shady paint work, but the bones are perfect for what I want. I totally fell in love with it over the trip. I think this might be the perfect vehicle for my life and location.

Not too exciting, but I am going to put a lightly tuned ALH tdi in here and daily it. Right now I am just getting all the suspension and chassis stuff in order. Planning to start the swap next winter.

I already have EV1Guy's adapter plate.

Got the front end apart in my shop now getting tightened up and installing some adjustable bilsteins. Going to slap some better wheels and tires on it, add some helper bags to the rear and a legit trailer hitch.

Very clean engine bay for a 22 year old truck with 200k.

As I start thinking a bit more about it, I will probably post a list of the basic plan for comments by those veterans who have done this swap before. This is certainly not my first engine swap or TDI conversion, and I am excited to dig in and make it happen.

Last edited by vtpsd; April 2nd, 2018 at 05:16.
vtpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2018, 17:37   #2
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

Did you figure out how to resize them in imgur? Just need to click the pencil in the top corner of the thumbnail. I want to see how this turns out, should be good.
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 05:21   #3
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exenos View Post
Did you figure out how to resize them in imgur? Just need to click the pencil in the top corner of the thumbnail. I want to see how this turns out, should be good.
Hey thanks, I think I got it now!

I have had the truck in the shop all last week to do a few things.
-new bilstein height adjustable shocks in the front
-bilstein HD shocks in the back
-added firestone helper air bags for the rear
-new lower control arm bushings
-new sway bar end links
-power steering pump
-fixed a bunch of random broken interior bits
-installed some new wheels and tires (will get pics when it back outside, looks sweet!
-installed mudflaps

I also have completely filled the frame, all cross members, all body cavities etc with Fluid Film. I have put 4 gallons on and in the truck thus far, and will probably use the rest of the 5 gallon pail before I am done. I want this truck to stay rust free if possible. (A very tall, and maybe impossible, order here in VT).

I plan to use the truck this summer since I am building a house, and a truck would be very handy. I would like to do the swap over next winter.

Last edited by vtpsd; April 2nd, 2018 at 05:23.
vtpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 06:28   #4
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

looking forward to watching your progress
Old April 2nd, 2018, 15:07   #5
A-man930
Veteran Member

FluidFilm is a neat idea. Not sure how much I trust it to hang around in certain areas (wheel wells) but I like how it wicks it's way into nooks n' crannies paint won't touch.
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 17:18   #6
DCELL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg ave

I'll be watching this build too. I had a 1995.5 regular cab that begged me for an ALH but I sold it before anything materialized. I love 1st gen Tacos!
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:05   #7
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man930 View Post
FluidFilm is a neat idea. Not sure how much I trust it to hang around in certain areas (wheel wells) but I like how it wicks it's way into nooks n' crannies paint won't touch.
Yes, it washes off in high spray areas within one winter for sure. I basically try to soak everything so it can get into all the pinch welds before water and salt does. I hope that by soaking the back of the fenders, inside the rockers, inside all the cross members and frame rails, the fluid film is what is sitting on the metal, so when the road spray and dirt eventually settle there, it has a protective barrier. I assume my frame rails will still get rust on them from the outside in the high spray areas, but I don't think that is what kills toyotas.

It takes a lot of hours to apply fluid film the way I do and its really messy and hard work. My thought is that i will give it a quick respray in the spring and fall every year.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:16   #8
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Below is my brainstorming list of the hardware for the project. I would really appreciate any feedback. I appreciate those who have documented the trials and tribulations of these swaps, and made the road easier for those who are following. I have watched Jimbote's swap since the beginning, and its success is one of the major reasons I have been wanting to do this. So, thank you!

I want to build a daily driver truck that I will use for normal truck things. I would hope it moves a bit better than the 3rz, but I do not need it to be fast by any means. As long as it remains at least as functional as the 3rz, I will be happy.

Here is my basic plan:

-Engine will be an ALH running a factory computer
-Transmission with be the stock unit in the tacoma
-adapter is from EV1Guy
-Axle gearing will remain stock
Here are some things I am wondering about/need to figure out. If anyone has any suggestions, i would really appreciate it.
-Turbo- I am thinking 1749va. The placement is good, and they are available for quite cheap. I know this is barely an upgrade over the stock vnt15, but I think that is ok.
-DLC1019 injectors (or equivalent?)
-probably a 10mm pump, unless an 11mm falls in my lap
-good front mount air to air intercooler
-safe/somewhat conservative tune to match hardware.

-I am hoping to mimick Jimbote's clutch setup using the larger v6 clutch disk and PP with a 22re type flywheel and 22re bell housing. I am also considering using the LC engineering 35lb 22re flywheel. Either way, the flywheel step will need to be machined to match the diameter of the bigger clutch disk.

-I am hoping to use the tacoma radiator with electric fan(s) added. The rad in the truck is new, and it must have enough capacity. Not sure what others have done here

-Oil pan, i dont plan on a lift or body lift, so I will likely have to custom build the pan or modify a pan quite a bit. This is ok, not too bad of a task.

-engine mounts: I was thinking of using some mounts recommended by Hasenwork. I have also considered audi hydraulic mounts. I used these on my audi swap, and the vibrations are pretty mild with them. They are not super cheap, however.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 14:49   #9
jimbote

all your plans seem solid, stock radiator is fine and is what i used until it started leaking from an upper tank crack, then i replaced it with a v6 unit (not required)... also what is your stock gearing ?
Old April 4th, 2018, 05:44   #10
vtpsd
Veteran Member

I am not sure of my gearing, it feels too high for the 3rz, but it seems like it is about perfect for a TDI. I will have to check what it is.

I am hoping to use all of the VW accessories including the AC compressor. After glancing under the hood, it looks like they might fit? I assume this is not possible since it looks like most people doing this swap have relocated the accessories.
Old April 4th, 2018, 07:19   #11
jimbote

i kept all my ALH accessories functional with the exception of the compressor... for AC i used the toyota compressor with a combination of a B5 tdi compressor bracket and a custom simple interface bracket between the B5 part and the toy compressor... i still use the stock ALH accessory belt routing with an old gutted vw compressor as an idler and an extra pulley bolted to the balancer to run the toyota unit

Last edited by jimbote; April 4th, 2018 at 07:21.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 07:35   #12
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
i kept all my ALH accessories functional with the exception of the compressor... for AC i used the toyota compressor with a combination of a B5 tdi compressor bracket and a custom simple interface bracket between the B5 part and the toy compressor... i still use the stock ALH accessory belt routing with an old gutted vw compressor as an idler and an extra pulley bolted to the balancer to run the toyota unit
Ok, I see. Is there a compatibility issue between the Toyota AC system and the VW compressor that does not allow use of the VW compressor?
Old April 4th, 2018, 08:10   #13
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsd View Post
Ok, I see. Is there a compatibility issue between the Toyota AC system and the VW compressor that does not allow use of the VW compressor?
probably, the toyota is a fixed displacement the vw is a variable displacement, it was just easier to adapt the toyota compressor to the engine, did not have to make new lines or even evacuate the refrigerant, the toyota also uses an "AC computer" so i did not want to deal with compatibility issues there either
Old April 4th, 2018, 08:16   #14
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Yea, that makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a good approach. I never thought about adding another pulley to the balancer and running a separate belt. Did you custom machine that or was it some kind of VW application?
Old April 4th, 2018, 08:34   #15
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsd View Post
Yea, that makes a lot of sense. Sounds like a good approach. I never thought about adding another pulley to the balancer and running a separate belt. Did you custom machine that or was it some kind of VW application?
pulley is from an unknown hyundai with a custom machined aluminum adapter