www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 29th, 2017, 17:30   #61
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

A-man930,

Renault 2.1 intercooler is on right side next to narrow radiator as you suggest. I will see if I can get you a picture.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 12:38   #62
xerootg

Hey guys, I havenít given up. Crazy times around here! My B5.5ís transmission started slipping (shocker, I know) and the mk7ís are now legal to sellÖ so I bought a MK7 Sportwagen. Its white. Iím going to park the B5.5 to cut up into another swap. AnywayÖ

Since my last post, the kitchen is usable, and I can now start working on the swap again.

I shortened and installed the fuel pump into its permanent home.

I bought a gtc1549vz off a CR 177 on ebay at the peak of the crash of the pound ($300 shipped!) with 9000km on it!

I replaced the thermostat housing with a cast aluminum housing

I reworked the coolant pipe to match a BRM, to delete unneeded stubs. This is a view from the back of the engine.

I made up some PCBs for the CCD to CAN translator, loooots of work needed on this front:

I started playing with mounting the new turboÖ

Which lead to paper templatesÖ

Which lead to a CAD model.

Test fitting, it looks like a great fit! A friend is going to make the actual adapter for me on his 3d printer for mockup purposes and then heís going to mill it for me.

I also have a lead on a NOS 6-speed. Iím getting really excited!
xerootg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 12:54   #63
xerootg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man930 View Post
OP what did you decide to go with for an intercooler? I'm curious to see if the entire front rad/intercooler/condenser arrangement from either the factory 2.1 or 2.5 diesel rigs could be utilized for a swap.
I'm having a hard time finding pictures of either of these arrangements (doesn't help that Photobucket is holding everybody's build pictures hostage...) would you mind sharing a pic of the factory cooler you're considering?
From what I can gather the 2.5 (VM425??) mounts the intecooler behind a full-width radiator; is this true?
What about the 2.1 Renault rigs? Is the intercooler off to the side of a narrow rad. or is it also "stacked"?

Anxious to see some progress on your build soon!
I am going to try to use the 2.5 intercooler, the math a couple posts back shows its probably able to keep up with my heat demands. Possibly not with the gtc1549vz. Don't know yet. I know its boring, all that math, but the details are in that post.

The 2.5 intercooler fits in the radiator support, and those holes that are in the support from the factory are there for the intercooler.

Old August 19th, 2017, 13:07   #64
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Nice score on the turbo for sure. I looked for one and couldent find a deal to go on my swap in time and ended up with a BV43a. They are similar enough but the gtc1549vz is supposed to be better from what I read.

Ill be interested to see you work through than CAN stuff.
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 13:16   #65
xerootg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead1 View Post
Nice score on the turbo for sure. I looked for one and couldent find a deal to go on my swap in time and ended up with a BV43a. They are similar enough but the gtc1549vz is supposed to be better from what I read.

Ill be interested to see you work through than CAN stuff.
I had to use ebay.de to find it. For some reason, even when the worldwide location filter was selected, the options were all very worn or expensive.

As to the CAN work... your swap is a great candidate when I have a running board if your interested. My goal is to keep the remaining CCD stuff (dash, airbags) working without the ECU, yet emulating all of the existing ECU provided data. The ECU in my Jeep has always been flaky anyway.

I'm also debating getting a EDC15P based harness since the BHW was never manual or had coolant glow plugs. I keep reading about stuff just not working after a Malone tune on swaps. Look at GoremanX's A4 swap, he can choose between having an AC or having cruise. Anyone have opinions on this route?
Old August 20th, 2017, 19:05   #66
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerootg View Post
I had to use ebay.de to find it. For some reason, even when the worldwide location filter was selected, the options were all very worn or expensive.

As to the CAN work... your swap is a great candidate when I have a running board if your interested. My goal is to keep the remaining CCD stuff (dash, airbags) working without the ECU, yet emulating all of the existing ECU provided data. The ECU in my Jeep has always been flaky anyway.

I'm also debating getting a EDC15P based harness since the BHW was never manual or had coolant glow plugs. I keep reading about stuff just not working after a Malone tune on swaps. Look at GoremanX's A4 swap, he can choose between having an AC or having cruise. Anyone have opinions on this route?
Just use the jeep to trigger the AC clutch like normal. Im doing that with my truck. its analog so no need to overthink it. One wire easy.
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 06:28   #67
vwztips
Veteran Member

I had no issues with the tune from Mike at TDTuning when I installed a BHW into an AllRoad which had the climatronic system.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:09   #68
A-man930
Veteran Member

Quote:
The 2.5 intercooler fits in the radiator support, and those holes that are in the support from the factory are there for the intercooler.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Wondering what's done for a cooling fan down there though...?
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:36   #69
A-man930
Veteran Member

Quote:
I also have a lead on a NOS 6-speed. Iím getting really excited!
NSG370? I'd be excited too!
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:36   #70
Kriesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am going to try to use the 2.5 intercooler, the math a couple posts back shows its probably able to keep up with my heat demands. Possibly not with the gtc1549vz. Don't know yet. I know its boring, all that math, but the details are in that post.

Nice work, I had been using ebay.co.uk to find the intercooler for my XJ diesel swap. I ordered one, and got the wrong one in the mail, and so with shipping costs I put that on the back burner and went without an intercooler for now...

I've read (cant find the links anymore) that some people were cutting holes in the bumper of the XJ to allow more airflow, because the bumper is right in front of those holes for the intercooler. Something similar to the holes on the bumper skin of the GMC truck:

Or upgrade to something like this haha:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....6&postcount=80
Old August 25th, 2017, 20:59   #71
xerootg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man930 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up!
Wondering what's done for a cooling fan down there though...?
Found a picture just now while looking for a LHD diesel dash bezel on ebay.de:

There's also an air guide between the intercooler and body. I cant seem to find either part... and I've emailed several European yards.

The NSG370 is on the way, minus a shift lever. I found one on ebay for $60, but I think I am going to try one of the local yards to see if I can find a cheaper one.

TDTuning seems to think an EDC15P and harness would actually be the better route. I'm not married to the EDC16, but I also know lots of people have been successful with the EDC16. The biggest advantage to the EDC15P is that there's a lot of documentation and flexibility in that setup, along with good FREE tuning tools. The biggest advantage to the EDC16 is parts availability in the USA. Sensors and all should be pretty universal... so its really only the ECU that's the parts availability issue. EDC15Ps are pretty cheap... I don't know. I may just do EDC15P so I can attempt my own tune.
Old August 25th, 2017, 21:01   #72
xerootg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriesel View Post
Or upgrade to something like this haha:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....6&postcount=80
That NAXJA post all those years ago was one of my inspirations to ditch the 4.0. Do you have any pictures of your XJ? I'm always looking for others work to admire!
Old August 26th, 2017, 15:02   #73
A-man930
Veteran Member

Quote:
Found a picture just now while looking for a LHD diesel dash bezel on ebay.de:

There's also an air guide between the intercooler and body. I cant seem to find either part... and I've emailed several European yards.
I like that design more and more, thanks again!
Now tell me that this arrangement will work as-is with a North American LHD 4.0 rad, condenser, etc and I'll start looking for one tomorrow
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:38   #74
absalom
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

Any updates on this?
absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 21:10   #75
xerootg

Hey guys, itís been a while since I last updated! Life just never stops, especially for projects as long running as these. Iíve got quite the list of things out of the way, and the engine is in the Jeep!
The starter contacts the bellhousing of the NEW NSG370 that I found, so out came the sanding drum.

Once that was out of the way, I replaced the rear main seal and bolted up the adapter, along with a new centerforce extra heavy flywheel and a LuK clutch and pressure plate

When I bolted the transmission to the adapter, I figured out that the coolant flange outlets both contact the bellhousing, so I cut both up, drilled and tapped the housings and used Loctite 577 to permanently seal everything. I am super happy with the final product.

My wife got me a crawl box for Christmas, so expect some epic crawl ratios!