www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 10th, 2017, 22:00   #46
xerootg

Quote:
Originally Posted by absalom View Post
OP, did you die?
No! I got tired of eating only bbq off the grill and toaster oven meals, and so did my wife... I've been spending my weekends on our kitchen remodel instead of the Jeep. We bought a smoker house back in June and have been remodeling it ever since, and as of about two months ago you cannot smell smoke anymore. If you want to see just how drastic of a kitchen remodel I'm talking, here's a quick album. Its just my wife and I working on it after work and on weekends, so its slow progress. This weekend I'll be assembling cabinets. Next weekend... I'll be assembling more cabinets or maybe installing some.

I did sneak into the garage on Monday (I had the day virtually off due to being snowed in) and finished the BSM delete.

A quick trick to pull the bolt holding an ALH pulley on to replace it with a BRM pulley, get your ALH chain and chuck it in a vice.

Once I make more headway on the kitchen I'll be able to start pulling the 4.0 out of the Jeep, but I really need to focus on having a completed kitchen...
xerootg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 19:14   #47
xjjeeper

Looking good!!
Old March 11th, 2017, 21:22   #48
xerootg

I got the bottom end buttoned up, I used a hybrid pan, just like EVGuy.

I finally finalized my compressor mounting!

In the stock position, the compressor rotates counterclockwise, and the 4660 I bought is spec’d for clockwise. I also was not happy with the proximity to the bottom of the 120A alternator. This lead me to think that I may need to give up trying to use the factory location. I also wanted to avoid the hot side of the block (turbo, whatnot) so I really wanted to stay on the same side as stock. While I was looking for some fab tabs for building a new mount, I ran across some interesting “York to Sanden” mounts for classic cars.

On EBay you can buy these as a pair, and when stacked back to back, you get a 65mm offset. This was enough to reverse the belt rotation!

I think I saw that EVGuy has a new and improved left engine mount that is further back, I need to get with him and see what the deal is, cause the room behind the compressor just will not do, the interference with the emergency bypass valve will likely lead to the compressor’s failure.

I used a laser level to line everything up, now once I get motor mounts figured out, my only excuse for not tossing this engine in the Jeep is my garage is a mess!

I’ve also been working on a new and improved CCD translator, this one will use a GM Oil Pressure Sensor to drive the cluster, and will handle the odometer pulses and speedo bytes the cluster expects. I still fully intend on removing the Jeep ECU.

As an added bonus, I got a cluster out of a Diesel XJ (Jeep part 56010196AC), and the “diesel message center” (Jeep part 56009639) that has the Glow Plug and Fuel in Water lamps.

I've written enough CCD code to reliably drive the cluster, and even have distance down.

Old March 11th, 2017, 22:55   #49
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Very cool!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:02   #50
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Nice compressor solution!
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 13:23   #51
evguy1

This is the problem we all have with the accessories.
On my first two projects I make a plate to move the whole accessory bracket up 6". It has been working well over the last 2 years so I did an update on it for this new JK build and if it all works out as planed I will start to offer it on the website.
here are a couple of pics.
New accessory mounting plate
The back side now has lots of room for the AC outlets and the alternator is still lowwer then the top of the engine.
New accessory mounting plate rear
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 17:20   #52
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

Are you putting the motor in with the motor slanted back to the turbo side? Your coil spring Cherokee front end may not support having the compressor in that location. The front frame section is basically the same as a TJ. With the engine bore centerline straight vertical that compressor will be right where the upper control arm mount to the frame is. You may be doing a long arm kit. Adding to this, consider the steering selector shaft location as well.

This pic prompted changes.. PWR STR ended up on int/exh side of motor. Its an AHU but the accessories are basically in the same location.. this pic is with a 4" lift that with the tdi was nearly a 5.5" compared to the 4.0l

Last edited by All Stock; March 13th, 2017 at 17:37.
All Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 13:20   #53
Knuckle720

TDI(s): ALH

Have you made your own transmission adapter ?
Knuckle720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 13:47   #54
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle720 View Post
Have you made your own transmission adapter ?

Read in post#3:

Mounts and Adapters:
I have procured EVGuy's Motor mounts and engine adapter

Lots of information in these build threads - easy to miss stuff.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 14:32   #55
xerootg

Yep, I have EVGuy's engine adapter and mounts. They are very nice quality.

As to the accessory position, I am going to try to use stock bracket positions. I understand they may have to move. I still have some kitchen (one cabinet and then countertops) to finish before I can pull the engine in my Cherokee and start playing with fitment, but there is such a list of stuff to do in the meantime. As to the compressor location, we will see if it is really an issues since it is all within the inside of the motor mount frame bracket and does not stick down further than the oil pan. People have not been having issues with ALH's and I believe they have low mounted accessories. EVGuy's video is the best images I have seen so far showing clearances with suspension components and what not, it looks like the track bar is in more danger of contacting than the UCA mount. If the track bar contacts, I will move it. If the UCA contacts, I'll move the accessories.
Old March 15th, 2017, 22:26   #56
evguy1

I didn't have any UCA problems but did do a 2" spring spacer and with the lighter TDI engine I also gained another inch for about 3" lift.
The track bar was a problem and I tried to get Rusty's to build me one / some with the right bends but they were very hard to deal with. In the end the guys down the road at Northwest Fab bent me up a great bar.
I had also though about using a 2" drop pitman arm and then a 2" drop on the track bar. That may have been easier but I suppose also required a custom adjustable track bar.
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:54   #57
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

this looks like a really well integrated build, LOVE the diesel jeep cluster!! such a nice detail
Old March 17th, 2017, 14:15   #58
A-man930
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evguy1 View Post
I didn't have any UCA problems but did do a 2" spring spacer and with the lighter TDI engine I also gained another inch for about 3" lift.
The track bar was a problem and I tried to get Rusty's to build me one / some with the right bends but they were very hard to deal with. In the end the guys down the road at Northwest Fab bent me up a great bar.
I had also though about using a 2" drop pitman arm and then a 2" drop on the track bar. That may have been easier but I suppose also required a custom adjustable track bar.
What exactly was the issue with the track bar? What interfered with it?
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 15:52   #59
evguy1

The oil pan was looking close. I never did a full cycle of the suspension to see how close it got.
Maybe its not a problem but have a close look at it.
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:35   #60
A-man930
Veteran Member

OP what did you decide to go with for an intercooler? I'm curious to see if the entire front rad/intercooler/condenser arrangement from either the factory 2.1 or 2.5 diesel rigs could be utilized for a swap.
I'm having a hard time finding pictures of either of these arrangements (doesn't help that Photobucket is holding everybody's build pictures hostage...) would you mind sharing a pic of the factory cooler you're considering?
From what I can gather the 2.5 (VM425??) mounts the intecooler behind a full-width radiator; is this true?
What about the 2.1 Renault rigs? Is the intercooler off to the side of a narrow rad. or is it also "stacked"?

Anxious to see some progress on your build soon!
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote