www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 10th, 2014, 20:30   #61
02AutoWag
Veteran Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny on vwvortex thread;
Friendly feedback appreciated! We have thought this one over for quite a while. We are not eliminating as much room as you might think, the inner fenders on the Jetta/Golf take up an enormous amount of space, and we're just keeping all the important stuff (like shock towers, and fuel tank emissions equipment) intact.

The objections to the teardrop fenders usually melt away when I explain that the teardrop is pointed towards the rear cab of the truck. In a year or so we will develop and manufacture a secondary roll bar that mounts behind the cab and allows 48" wide lumber etc to rest on the ramps (teardrop fenders) and above the cab for slow rides home from Home Depot. Many of the small to medium size sport ATVs will be able to ride up the ramps, (impossible with the VW shaped inner fenders).

Utility and style are always at the top of our list. We even keep the spare tire in the stock location under the removable bed aluminum.

Building off the vwvortex thread:

I would like for you guys to give your opinion on incorporating L-track or T-slot into the bed rails. My current F350 has T-slot attached to the inner bed rails that allow a sliding cargo gate, perfectly suited to hold back various sizes of cargo. This cargo retention flexibility has proven very useful for me!

Water proof/resistant storage is not so much a concern with my F350 crewcab, but is definitely a concern with the UTE conversion. I'm envisioning the above mentioned sliding cargo gate, as well as a sliding water proof/resistant cover that can be peeled back as needed using the above mentioned rails.

The ability to transport full 4'x8' sheets of goods is also desired, that's why I'd like for you guys to incorporate the rails into the design, because adding them to your current design would take away from the needed width.

The 5th wheel and trailer sound very interesting too.
FOR SALE:
1998 New Beetle (minus 5-speed trans parts)
02AutoWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 21:54   #62
tothemax
Veteran Member

Subscribed!!! This is awesome..

Wondering how many man-hours you figure to complete the project once we receive the kit?

Also would be great to make some kind of a removable, liftable & lockable cover that would cover the box so as to be able to lock things in there and also improve gas mileage... as well as the ability to have a rack for bikes, skis or sheets of plywood like Russ was saying ... Maybe look at Thule or yakima to see how you can incorporate their rack design into this

This is sooo cool...

Russ pls let me know when you get your kit.. I will go help you put it together... am seriously thinking about one as well after I see how yours turns out...

Great concert !! Keep up the good work !!

tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 23:58   #63
02AutoWag
Veteran Member

Pierre,
I read your criticism of the teardrop wheel wells. Take a look at the vortex thread, post #51. You see that large lumpy thing on the inside wall of the silver UTE? That's the wheel well and fuel system that Smyth and crew were trying to work with.

They could have just created a larger half circle well to cover that monstrosity, but it would look just ridiculous. After initially disliking the teardrop, I saw the potential utility in the slope and was pleased to hear that they purposely designed it with the utility I envisioned.

Back to my desires... being that there is only 49" between the rails, adding my desired sliding L-track/T-slot will leave me short of the necessary 48" plywood width. So I hope the track/slot can be incorporated into the design for future builds.

I too want to accomplish what your picture describes. I want covered/waterproof storage, a sliding cargo gate, ability to hold 4'x8' plywood sheets (whether sloped above the cab, or preferably lashed to rails as those bikes are).

Oh, anyone handy with photoshop willing to change the color of the truck pictures in post #47 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=47) from black to white? Maybe with a pretend spray-in bed liner, over the rails. Thanks!
FOR SALE:
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:28   #64
r90sKirk
Veteran Member

Subscribed as well - longing for a lil' truck.

Kirk
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:23   #65
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AutoWag View Post
Pierre,
I read your criticism of the teardrop wheel wells. Take a look at the vortex thread, post #51. You see that large lumpy thing on the inside wall of the silver UTE? That's the wheel well and fuel system that Smyth and crew were trying to work with.

They could have just created a larger half circle well to cover that monstrosity, but it would look just ridiculous. After initially disliking the teardrop, I saw the potential utility in the slope and was pleased to hear that they purposely designed it with the utility I envisioned.
The original VW Rabbit Pickup had the fuel port in front of the wheels so it wasn't a factor plus, IIRC, it had 13" wheels thus smaller wheel wells.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 22:08   #66
tothemax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02AutoWag View Post
Pierre,

Back to my desires... being that there is only 49" between the rails, adding my desired sliding L-track/T-slot will leave me short of the necessary 48" plywood width. So I hope the track/slot can be incorporated into the design for future builds.

I too want to accomplish what your picture describes. I want covered/waterproof storage, a sliding cargo gate, ability to hold 4'x8' plywood sheets (whether sloped above the cab, or preferably lashed to rails as those bikes are).

Oh, anyone handy with photoshop willing to change the color of the truck pictures in post #47 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=47) from black to white? Maybe with a pretend spray-in bed liner, over the rails. Thanks!

Oh! I understand now... The fact is it does not really bother me that much because I will shoot to have a covered/waterproof / lockable lid and the tear drop will not really show... I carry tons of stuff in my trunk so I have to have a place which locks to hold my stuff. Also I really like to ability to mount a rack on top... It will make up for the fact that you do not quite get your 48" width ... yes you will be able to carry 4 x 8 plywood and drywall with the rack on top of the box ... Anyway a great design and super cool project...

I will come help you with yours so I can decide if I can handle this kind project on mine... Totally beats getting an old caddy and trying to mount a TDI engine in it... Was getting bored with my Jetta... now I have a project to look forward to..

This guys here used a later model golf on his chop

Last edited by tothemax; August 11th, 2014 at 22:26.
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 07:06   #67
romad
Veteran Member

Pierre, you basically described my Jetta Wagon!

"I carry tons of stuff in my trunk so I have to have a place which locks to hold my stuff."

Back of wagon locks.

"Also I really like to ability to mount a rack on top... It will make up for the fact that you do not quite get your 48" width ... yes you will be able to carry 4 x 8 plywood and drywall with the rack on top of the box"

I have a rack on the roof.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:56   #68
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

There's more than one way to skin a cat!

We choose to keep our stuff in the back AND to look cool doing it.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 09:45   #69
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Quick update: thanks to the attention from Motor Trend, VWVortex, Autoblog, Truck Trend, and several other sites, we have already pre-sold many of these kits. The earliest we can deliver kits ordered today will be in November. If you were planning to make a deposit, there is a buy it now button on www.smythkitcars.com that will get you a place in line.

Cheers,

Mike
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 15:12   #70
GEE-BEE

TDI(s): 1.9 AAZ
Lightbulb Info

Great Product !

If you want me to make a one piece acyrlic rear bubble window for more headrest room let me know...

Iam finishing the VW rabbit truck rear window in aircraft grade material

clear and solar grey, less cost and 100 % better visibility than oem

Ths window install with the stock seal from mk1autohaus

GB

N77GB@MSN.COM
GEE-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 14:22   #71
02AutoWag
Veteran Member

Smyth Performance truck build manual is released as a living document:
https://www.evernote.com/pub/smythperf/SmythUtemanual

Also see their Facebook page for more photos.
https://www.facebook.com/SmythPerformance
FOR SALE:
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:30   #72
02AutoWag
Veteran Member

Bump.
These kits should be hitting customers shortly. I got an email two weeks ago saying they are able to ship within one week of receiving full payment.
Please checkout the updates in the build manual:
https://www.evernote.com/pub/smythperf/SmythUtemanual
FOR SALE:
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:36   #73
jetmoto3
Veteran Member

anyone that has done this do you have pics of the interior I'm wondering how much space is in the cab after its done
jetmoto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 21:39   #74
NomadMac
Veteran Member

Post progress pix, Russ.
NomadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 20:09   #75
brnsgrbr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmoto3 View Post
anyone that has done this do you have pics of the interior I'm wondering how much space is in the cab after its done

Please!
2.0Ltr ALH w/BHWs, WB girdle, IE Tuscan rods, RyanP GtB2260Vk kit, 4bar MAP; Kerma 3" exhaust w/HF cat & Aeroturbine 3030XL, headwork, DRW 6speed w/DG Sigma shifter;SBC S2 End race clutch W/ferramic disk; Peloquin TBD; Bosio Stage 2 R520s; DLI Technik mounts ; 11mm; TT CA bushings; DG Panzer FMJ, RP,& 100K TB&SB upgrade; Coolant heater; DRL & EGR deletes; ventectomy; Accuair/Airlift suspension;B20-B100
brnsgrbr is offline   Reply With Quote